Ex Player Djavan Anderson

Strange as there were posts on here saying he didn’t even look like a footballer and couldn’t kick a ball when he first joined!!
I think it’s more his defensive duties which are the question mark. In terms of pace and attacking raw ability he’s one of the best at the club now. When he first came in he was very unfit and only looked half the footballer he is now, which is why many on here questioned things.

I think he’d make an excellent right winger or wing back in a back 5. In a back 4 when it comes to out and out defending and disciplined positioning that’s the element that still needs considerable work in terms of his personal game. Ability to run at players and dribble and break at pace is top notch for League One level.

I think it’s more his defensive duties which are the question mark. In terms of pace and attacking raw ability he’s one of the best at the club now. When he first came in he was very unfit and only looked half the footballer he is now, which is why many on here questioned things.

I think he’d make an excellent right winger or wing back in a back 5. In a back 4 when it comes to out and out defending and disciplined positioning that’s the element that still needs considerable work in terms of his personal game. Ability to run at players and dribble and break at pace is top notch for League One level.
To be fair he kept Martinelli pretty quiet. His improvement in just 3 months is remarkable - at times he looks much too good for us but I hope he remembers who dug him out of the abyss and gives us another season. I think with Anderson you don't try and make him something he isn't. He is a full back, but a very attacking one and we should embrace that. Similarly to McGuane, he is more threatening picking up the ball deeper than up field where he can't get up a head of steam and see the game ahead of him. We need a game plan for when he goes forward rather than clip his wings and make him defend too much. If I'm a coach with a player of that ability, I'm telling him to do his thing, we'll cover for you.

To be fair he kept Martinelli pretty quiet. His improvement in just 3 months is remarkable - at times he looks much too good for us but I hope he remembers who dug him out of the abyss and gives us another season. I think with Anderson you don't try and make him something he isn't. He is a full back, but a very attacking one and we should embrace that. Similarly to McGuane, he is more threatening picking up the ball deeper than up field where he can't get up a head of steam and see the game ahead of him. We need a game plan for when he goes forward rather than clip his wings and make him defend too much. If I'm a coach with a player of that ability, I'm telling him to do his thing, we'll cover for you.
Agree.
He seems to have improved defensively and was very good v Martinelli.
He did suggest that Short had spent at of time with him on his defending

Agree.
He seems to have improved defensively and was very good v Martinelli.
He did suggest that Short had spent at of time with him on his defending

I also think it’s mindset with Anderson.

He knew he had to be at it 100% of the time defensively v a future world class winger like him.

Can he stay at that concentration level at L1 level remains to be seen because he’s looked awful defensively v Charlton & Exeter.

Let’s see how he looks v Fleetwood!

He knew he had to be at it 100% of the time defensively v a future world class winger like him.

Can he stay at that concentration level at L1 level remains to be seen because he’s looked awful defensively v Charlton & Exeter.

Possibly. If he commits to the task of L1 and has a good 6-12 months he could find himself in a top league somewhere in Europe fighting for a place. But you're right he needs to imagine every winger he faces is Martinelli because he looked a very complete player vs Arsenal and we need to see that every week.

I just checked - Martinelli has recorded the 2nd highest speed in the Premier League (prior to World Cup) this year, behind only Darwin Nunez.

If he even plays against Fleetwood!

I hope we keep playing him at fullback for the time being, so far in his short OUFC career that is where he has looked most comfortable.

He’s still a bit dodgy with his positional play for a fullback, in particular finding himself on the wrong side of the attacker. However his increased fitness and pace helps him greatly in recovering those situations.

But I can perfectly understand why teams higher up the pyramid would look at him and think this guy could do a very good job at wingback. Especially now he’s fitter and getting used to the English league. A lot of potential.

Technically very good. An exciting player to watch, as you’re never quite sure when he’s going to go off on one of his mazy cross field runs. Extended contract needed sharpish, otherwise he’ll be gone for peanuts.

I hope we keep playing him at fullback for the time being, so far in his short OUFC career that is where he has looked most comfortable.

He’s still a bit dodgy with his positional play for a fullback, in particular finding himself on the wrong side of the attacker. However his increased fitness and pace helps him greatly in recovering those situations.

But I can perfectly understand why teams higher up the pyramid would look at him and think this guy could do a very good job at wingback. Especially now he’s fitter and getting used to the English league. A lot of potential.

Technically very good. An exciting player to watch, as you’re never quite sure when he’s going to go off on one of his mazy cross field runs. Extended contract needed sharpish, otherwise he’ll be gone for peanuts.
We won't even get peanuts...

Not me! I backed him as soon as I saw him. Adds something different pace. The Martinelli tackle was a proper full backs tackle too.

I like him as much as I did Ricardinho.
I was one of the guilty ones. I thought he was an athlete, not a footballer. Happy to be proved completely wrong!

Let's be honest. He looked a bit bewildered in those first couple of appearances. He probably hadn't seen anything like it having never played here before. But he is now settling into L1 football. He is still a bit naive on the 'rawness' of it but there is a very talented footballer there who is adapting and improving with each game.
I still think he is more of a wing back and would do a lot of damage if played as one.
I think if we played him and Fleming as wing backs and Long, Moore, and Brown as a three we could really click. Don't think that will happen though.
Murphy and Wildschut will be given a while to prove their worth in a front three.

Let's be honest. He looked a bit bewildered in those first couple of appearances. He probably hadn't seen anything like it having never played here before. But he is now settling into L1 football. He is still a bit naive on the 'rawness' of it but there is a very talented footballer there who is adapting and improving with each game.

The Plymouth game, when he came on as a sub near the end, he looked a bit like a rabbit in headlights.

But his second game was a start at RB against Chelsea's kids, and I thought he looked very tidy and assured. We didn't blow that game, and concede the two goals, until KR took him off and shoved Golding out right.

From the beginning, I think he's always looked like he knows how to defend 1-on-1. He can face up an opposition winger, and get in a block or a tackle. His weakness has just been positioning, because he wants to play the game like it's a playground kickaround and he's the best kid on the park. But think he's getting more disciplined the longer he plays and trains with us......

Back
Top Bottom