Other European European Super League one step closer?

The ESL seemed pretty confident that they were covered legally (so could go into the closed league AND stay within their domestic leagues)
They have had their wings clipped, but the PL, FA and hopefully government will be able to introduce rules that will have teeth legally and stop any chance of it happening again.
I wonder if this does happen, whether these clubs values may go down which could dissuade some of the US owners lightening up English football with their presence.

The problem remains that the value of these six clubs is such that only the very richest people in the world are able to afford to buy them, so regardless of how much singing and dancing and demonstrating supporters do, the fact is that the six current owners will only leave when they find someone willing to pay what they are asking for to replace them, and in likelihood these replacement owners are not going to be significantly better in terms of 'acting as custodians of the club for the supporters' etc etc.

The 50+1 model sounds wonderful, but how does that translate into the real world, or more specifically, how does the game get there from where it is now? Where do supporters find the funding to buy their half, or is it that the 50% is only terms of voting rights, in which case how and why are these owners going to accept a minority position when they have paid/own the full value (and/or will have to fully bear any losses that result from future decisions/conditions that they are no longer able to control).

And, how is this supporter representation going to work - is this going to turn into the MyFC/Ebbsfleet situation where fans were polled on anything and everything, or is it only on board level decisions, in which case how does the confidentiality that is required during negotiations going to work if tens of thousands of people are potentially entitled to know what is happening at each stage? And if it is only going to be kept to those supporter representatives on the board, then how much can they be relied upon to a) keep those confidences and b) not become pawns in the process?

I don't have this inherent hatred of all things Premier league in football that many on here do, but I am really struggling to see how this new dawn that various groups are promising us (fans, FA, Government, etc, etc) is actually going to come about without the very top end almost imploding and probably therefore taking pretty much everyone else with it???

There was a Man Utd supporter on the radio the other day. He was part of the group that got into the ground and I think runs a fanzine.

He agreed with your point, and actually said he thought it was 'too late' for his club in that they would never get any sort of control back.

The problem remains that the value of these six clubs is such that only the very richest people in the world are able to afford to buy them, so regardless of how much singing and dancing and demonstrating supporters do, the fact is that the six current owners will only leave when they find someone willing to pay what they are asking for to replace them, and in likelihood these replacement owners are not going to be significantly better in terms of 'acting as custodians of the club for the supporters' etc etc.

The 50+1 model sounds wonderful, but how does that translate into the real world, or more specifically, how does the game get there from where it is now? Where do supporters find the funding to buy their half, or is it that the 50% is only terms of voting rights, in which case how and why are these owners going to accept a minority position when they have paid/own the full value (and/or will have to fully bear any losses that result from future decisions/conditions that they are no longer able to control).

And, how is this supporter representation going to work - is this going to turn into the MyFC/Ebbsfleet situation where fans were polled on anything and everything, or is it only on board level decisions, in which case how does the confidentiality that is required during negotiations going to work if tens of thousands of people are potentially entitled to know what is happening at each stage? And if it is only going to be kept to those supporter representatives on the board, then how much can they be relied upon to a) keep those confidences and b) not become pawns in the process?

I don't have this inherent hatred of all things Premier league in football that many on here do, but I am really struggling to see how this new dawn that various groups are promising us (fans, FA, Government, etc, etc) is actually going to come about without the very top end almost imploding and probably therefore taking pretty much everyone else with it???
Bang on. The words horse, stable, door and bolted come to mind. For all the excitement of the last couple of weeks, and plaudits going to 'fan power', it's difficult to see what practical steps can actually be taken. Apart from anything, I think the legality of unilaterally diminishing the voting rights of an individual in a company they legitimately purchased is essentially an insurmountable hurdle to implementing the 50+1 model here.

Regardless of how romantically appealing the idea may seem, you can't just deny somebody a controlling stake, that they purchased for billions of pounds, in a company (which, I'm afraid, despite all the history and nostalgia, is all Manchester United, Manchester City, Arsenal, etc. are now - entertainment, content-producing companies) on the basis of some fans having vaguely-defined notions of 'getting their club back'.

As an aside, Real Madrid, Barca and Juve are all still members of the ESL afaik. They say the others have to pay fines which will ultimately go to them and give them free cash. UEFA should tell them that if they remain members of the ESL then they can't compete in the Champions Lg and play hardball with them.

Last edited:
Bang on. The words horse, stable, door and bolted come to mind. For all the excitement of the last couple of weeks, and plaudits going to 'fan power', it's difficult to see what practical steps can actually be taken. Apart from anything, I think the legality of unilaterally diminishing the voting rights of an individual in a company they legitimately purchased is essentially an insurmountable hurdle to implementing the 50+1 model here.

Regardless of how romantically appealing the idea may seem, you can't just deny somebody a controlling stake, that they purchased for billions of pounds, in a company (which, I'm afraid, despite all the history and nostalgia, is all Manchester United, Manchester City, Arsenal, etc. are now - entertainment, content-producing companies) on the basis of some fans having vaguely-defined notions of 'getting their club back'.
I think this is fair but I also think owners will now be very careful not to put forward ESL type plans given the reaction from all quarters - media, fans, players etc. The PL charter is the first step in reigning them back in on the assumption that it will actually have legally binding sanctions if breakaways are attempted again.

. Apart from anything, I think the legality of unilaterally diminishing the voting rights of an individual in a company they legitimately purchased is essentially an insurmountable hurdle to implementing the 50+1 model here.

Not to mention the revolving door for Chairman being voted in and out every time fans get upset about a poor run of results 🤪

Remember when Kerry Packer launched the World Series Cricket?

Crashed and burnt after a while but soon rose Phoenix like in a slightly different guise and brought some good things like helmets for batsman, pro contracts, coloured balls, field restrictions and many other things that stemmed from WSC.

This will go the same way..

Yes agree.
With the American owners though it was probably always in their minds to create a no relegation European league.
If this becomes legally very problematic, they may consider the value of the club diminished ( especially as Liverpool , Spurs and Arsenal look like missing out on the CL next season)
I can not see how the 50+1 is possible in the medium term in English football, but do hope that the power of the 'Big 6' is reduced through regulation

A hold my beer moment from golf.

I know golf could be lucrative but some of those up front offers make PL player salaries look tiny.

If Real Madrid and Barcelona are still 'in' the ESL why aren't La Liga taking action against them? Grow some and demand they withdraw or else they get thrown out.

If Real Madrid and Barcelona are still 'in' the ESL why aren't La Liga taking action against them? Grow some and demand they withdraw or else they get thrown out.
I'd let them stay in it. They can play each other week in week out until the end of time. I am sure the TV ratings will soar!

I'd let them stay in it. They can play each other week in week out until the end of time. I am sure the TV ratings will soar!
What a league with only two teams (forget Juve for a moment)?
Sounds like a Scilly idea

You can see why the fringe European League clubs want to join the ESL. Chelsea just beat Real Madrid to play Man C in the Champions League final.

A hold my beer moment from golf.

I know golf could be lucrative but some of those up front offers make PL player salaries look tiny.
Henrick Stenson is the Arsenal of the golf ESL - what a joke, his recent record is terrible, missed 6 of his last 8 cuts in tournaments and is 124th in the world!

You can see why the fringe European League clubs want to join the ESL. Chelsea just beat Real Madrid to play Man C in the Champions League final.
I have never supported Chelsea in any match but I wanted them to win tonight given it was Real Madrid’s Chairman who proposed the ESL. Now I hope that no-one can win the final.........

I have never supported Chelsea in any match but I wanted them to win tonight given it was Real Madrid’s Chairman who proposed the ESL. Now I hope that no-one can win the final.........
Same here although historically more because of Franco

Back
Top Bottom