Dot Counting Home Sellout for Boxing Day vs Cambridge

Attendance tracking
So tell the club about it?
People would if the club held a fans forum which was promised at the end of last season.
F***ed if I know, you’re having a go at the wrong person here, isn’t that what supporters groups are for…..?
Again, by highlighting it on this forum things do actually get passed on by the supporters groups. Unfortunately, as you would have read in the latest OxVox notes, the club aren't too interested in what our supporters groups have to say and would rather create their own that they control.

People would if the club held a fans forum which was promised at the end of last season.

Again, by highlighting it on this forum things do actually get passed on by the supporters groups. Unfortunately, as you would have read in the latest OxVox notes, the club aren't too interested in what our supporters groups have to say and would rather create their own that they control.
Without getting into the politics of all this, because that’s not my game anymore, the club needs to listen and if necessary act on what supporters groups are telling them. If that isn’t happening then there’s work to be done by someone to make that happen, whether that makes them popular or not. Easier said than done? maybe, but it needs to be done because we fans put a lot of cash through this club.

Things have improved in a number of areas, but we still can't get some of these easy things right. We should have been promoting the Boxing Day and Derby games prior to the Burton game as well as the half season tickets. We could have even had someone on hand to help people sign up to the online accounts. Then we should have used all the media that followed the win to promote these games. Not just the normal Chris Williams lines about the crowd being great and "we go again", but specifically referencing that we're looking to sell out the next two fixtures, and pre-order will be essential.

Then we had from Sunday onwards where we could have been putting social media that had things like "What do you get someone that has everything for Christmas? Oxford tickets!" or even putting together a cheesy video clip of someone unwrapping their presents to find a pair of socks, a rubbish jumper, and a pair of Oxford tickets before beaming to camera and saying that it's the perfect Christmas! It only takes a little imagination and a willingness to make things happen.

Even today, when there is finally a release, its functional but its all a little bland. Nothing that gets the blood going or making people rush online to book. Nothing that encourages people to share the social media with others or get their kids involved. Not even the bloody Grinch again!!

I'm sure that there are people from the club who read these posts, so please have a look at what is going out and give thought to how this can be so much better.
I had a recollection of reading about an appointment within the club and, having scoured the news archive, found it in the program notes for the Grimsby game (Grant Ferguson is credited but who knows who really wrote this)

"Billy Lawrence now brings the great work he has been doing for the women’s teams and the academy to manage the social media channels for the first team. This is a product of both the excellent attitude of these guys and our efforts to create pathways that allow bright, talented people to build a career in football at a club that shares the same values throughout the men’s, women’s and academy departments."

Whether that means Mr Lawrence also reads this forum, or not, I don't know but, if the club have appointed someone to the role of "Social Media Channels" then surely it would benefit keeping abreast of the discussions on here.

What does need to happen now is for the club to get proactive rather than reactive.

Doesn't fewer than 600 seats left represents a bit of a jump from where we thought we were?

Doesn't fewer than 600 seats left represents a bit of a jump from where we thought we were?
No. I just checked and my lunchtime figures had us at 8,960 sales, against 9,554 seats, so 594 available. It's fewer than 600, just.

Well done the club, but I still don't see why the previous post couldn't have said something like "fewer than 1,000 seats left"? I hope they now post a countdown as we get to fewer than 500, fewer than 400 etc. I know we do it on here, but the club's social media has a much greater reach.

Just by the way the post is worded shows that the club pay attention of this forum and the importance of some of the discussions that is had on here.

I'm sure that they do, and for those reading this, social media content has to compete with thousands of other posts every day. Just putting basic information out is functional and ticks a box, but we can do so much more! Be creative, be different, take a risk, and get some content out that makes people stop and look.

Here's one to try! Tomorrow is the last day in the office for many. Why not create a secret santa video of everyone getting crap presents before someone opens theirs to find an Oxford v Derby ticket (Cambridge may have sold out by then!) then scroll up to the face of the person opening it with a cheeky wink and the tag line "drawing your own name has its benefits!!"

Over to you social media guy!!

5.15pm update on Thursday and there are now just 519 seats available.

That means total home seat sales of 9,035 plus boxes (estimated at 250, could be as much as 290) and Cambridge (900 reported) which brings us up to an overall crowd of around 10,200 already.

Remaining seats are split:

North Stand - 31 (all single seats)
East Stand - 76 (selling fast)
South Stand Upper - 101 (mainly in the block closest to the open end)
South Stand Lower - 311 (mainly the two end blocks)

Surprised that the club hasn't yet opened up the 190 seats in the front rows of the East Stand (48 seats - 24 each in Block 17 and 20) and South Stand Lower (132 seats spread across Blocks 1-3 and 6-8) as these have definitely been made available for close to capacity matches in the past.

With Cambridge bringing 500-600 less than the away capacity (Derby were given and have sold their entire allocation of 1,497), then there would have been (maybe still is?) the option of opening up some of Block 26 for home fans which would give additional prime viewing, but perhaps TVP have advised against this (because of the trouble 20 years ago!).

I remember being surprised the last time we played on Boxing Day (2019 I think) at how many sales there were on Christmas Day itself, so I suspect there is still untapped potential for families to make a last minute decision to attend, so hopefully any available additional seats are now released.

Last edited:
5.15pm update on Thursday and there are now just 519 seats available.

That means total home seat sales of 9,035 plus boxes (estimated at 250, could be as much as 290) and Cambridge (900 reported) which brings us up to an overall crowd of around 10,200 already.

Remaining seats are split:

North Stand - 31 (all single seats)
East Stand - 76 (selling fast)
South Stand Upper - 101 (mainly in the block closest to the open end)
South Stand Lower - 311 (mainly the two end blocks)

Surprised that the club hasn't yet opened up the 190 seats in the front rows of the East Stand (48 seats - 24 each in Block 17 and 20) and South Stand Lower (132 seats spread across Blocks 1-3 and 6-8) as these have definitely been made available for close to capacity matches in the past.

With Cambridge bringing 500-600 less than the away capacity (Derby were given and have sold their entire allocation of 1,497), then there would have been (maybe still is?) the option of opening up some of Block 26 for home fans which would give additional prime viewing, but perhaps TVP have advised against this (because of the trouble 20 years ago!).

I remember being surprised the last time we played on Boxing Day (2019 I think) at how many sales there were on Christmas Day itself, so I suspect there is still untapped potential for families to make a last minute decision to attend, so hopefully any available additional seats are now released.
On your last point I’ve actually convinced my dad and brother several times to come with me to the football the next day after they have had a drink so I assume it’s people like that.

Have to say, I've always thought of games against Cambridge as some of the least aggressive, least problematic that we play. I lived five minutes from the Abbey for three years, regularly wore my Oxford shirt around and it never sparked anything more than polite conversation!

The Blackbird incident was just such a bizarre outlier. But I find it impossible to imagine that reducing the gap between the fans on Boxing Day would lead to anything.......

7.15pm update on Thursday and there are now just 474 home seats left, meaning 270 sold already today, the upturn in sales no doubt aided by the club's promotional push!

5 Blocks are now sold out (5/6/11/19/20) while another 12 blocks are in single figures.

The last seats left are distributed as follows:

North Stand 28
East Stand 52
South Stand Upper 90
South Stand Lower 304

Think the East Stand will be the first to sell out as still some seats together there whereas the North Stand are all singles.

Cambridge sold nearly 900 apparently.
Where have you heard that mate? Their ticket site shows only about half of that amount as sold. Although it's unclear whether Block 27, which shows as unavailable is sold out or not for sale? If they've sold that block as well (it holds about 550) then they've sold 1,000 in advance, which I can't really see. It could be that it's not for sale, as we may need to put the segregation there and open up Block 26 to home fans?

Where have you heard that mate? Their ticket site shows only about half of that amount as sold. Although it's unclear whether Block 27, which shows as unavailable is sold out or not for sale? If they've sold that block as well (it holds about 550) then they've sold 1,000 in advance, which I can't really see. It could be that it's not for sale, as we may need to put the segregation there and open up Block 26 to home fans?

In fairness I'd heard from someone with links to their club that they'd sold around 800, so they may not be far from that number. Although it's hard to tell with sections 29 and 27 not showing on their site.

5,45pm update and there are now 793 home seats available, with 144 sold so far today. That means home seat sales (excluding boxes) of 8,761.

Remaining seats are distributed

North Stand - 46
East Stand - 159
South Stand Upper - 172
South Stand Lower - 416
For someone who seems to care about Dot Counting, surely more needs to be written of the ills Nick causes her?
Have to say, I've always thought of games against Cambridge as some of the least aggressive, least problematic that we play. I lived five minutes from the Abbey for three years, regularly wore my Oxford shirt around and it never sparked anything more than polite conversation!

The Blackbird incident was just such a bizarre outlier. But I find it impossible to imagine that reducing the gap between the fans on Boxing Day would lead to anything.......
Times were different. Wasn't it around the time of Chelsea being were caught on the hop in Cambridge, with all the talk of them being run by a general.
I'm sure Sly, Exeter came along and were caught out in town, around the same time.

Back
Top Bottom