International News Israel Palestine conflict

Was it Nostradamus who said ww3 would start in the Middle East?
Don't know but I remember a quote from an American (general?) who said 'we fought WWI in Europe, we fought WWII in Europe and goddam we'll do everything we can to fight WWIII there as well'. 😳

But my particular favourite is one credited to
Albert Einstein — 'I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.'

Don't know but I remember a quote from an American (general?) who said 'we fought WWI in Europe, we fought WWII in Europe and goddam we'll do everything we can to fight WWIII there as well'. 😳

But my particular favourite is one credited to
Albert Einstein — 'I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.'
That Einstein quote is not only a good quote but one that must be listened to.

WW3 will be a war fought with weaponry that will destroy the planet not just for humans but for all life.

Sometimes it's clear humans are just advanced apes. Supposedly high intelligence yet we will happily destroy the planet for everyone and everything because we can't cope with people believing in different gods, or looking slightly differently from we do.

Do you genuinely believe the likes of ISIS, Hamas, Al-Qaeda etc are held to the same standards internationally as, say, the IDF or the British army?
That doesn't answer what I asked, the question was 'How have you arrived at that conclusion?'

Do you genuinely believe the likes of ISIS, Hamas, Al-Qaeda etc are held to the same standards internationally as, say, the IDF or the British army?
Well....yeah.....

That's why they are mostly internationally outlawed terrorist organisations, as opposed to the armies of nation states 🤷‍♂️

And regardless of what "they" or "we" do, all will still be accountable for war crimes, genocide and terrorist atrocities to EXACTLY the same standards.

Do you somehow think the likes of Hamas are getting a free hit here?

That doesn't answer what I asked, the question was 'How have you arrived at that conclusion?'
I've arrived at that conclusion because the likes of Hamas, ISIS, Al-Qaeda etc are not held to the same standards internationally (and socially) as the IDF or the British Army.

Take Boko Haram. During 2 months alone this year they have kidnapped and held hostage over 200 school children. They kidnapped and held hostage 87 people in one day in March. Who knew this? Where were the international calls of condemnation? Now send the British Army somewhere and see what happens if they start kidnapping kids and holding them hostage.

The Houthis, who people on the streets of the UK have been chanting in support of, have committed countless war crimes and atrocities on civilians in Yemen. Again, ignored.

Distance also isn't a factor. Nigeria and the USA are a similar distance from the UK. Literally the only difference is who's doing it.

Essentially, we view them as barbarians so almost expect it. We brush their atrocities and wrongdoings off - would we do the same if it were people in 'the west'? I think we all know the answer to that.

Well....yeah.....

That's why they are mostly internationally outlawed terrorist organisations, as opposed to the armies of nation states 🤷‍♂️

And regardless of what "they" or "we" do, all will still be accountable for war crimes, genocide and terrorist atrocities to EXACTLY the same standards.

Do you somehow think the likes of Hamas are getting a free hit here?
Despite committing countless war crimes in the past, the international community continued sending them billions in aid (a large portion of which went missing - shock!).

I personally think Hamas will remain in governance in Gaza after this war, and I guarantee you many more billions will be sent to them.

The only people holding Hamas accountable are Israel.

I've arrived at that conclusion because the likes of Hamas, ISIS, Al-Qaeda etc are not held to the same standards internationally (and socially) as the IDF or the British Army.

Take Boko Haram. During 2 months alone this year they have kidnapped and held hostage over 200 school children. They kidnapped and held hostage 87 people in one day in March. Who knew this? Where were the international calls of condemnation? Now send the British Army somewhere and see what happens if they start kidnapping kids and holding them hostage.

The Houthis, who people on the streets of the UK have been chanting in support of, have committed countless war crimes and atrocities on civilians in Yemen. Again, ignored.

Distance also isn't a factor. Nigeria and the USA are a similar distance from the UK. Literally the only difference is who's doing it.

Essentially, we view them as barbarians so almost expect it. We brush their atrocities and wrongdoings off - would we do the same if it were people in 'the west'? I think we all know the answer to that.
But they are all outlawed terrorist groups, and have all been condemned for their actions the same as a sovereign state would also be condemned.

Take Boko Haram. During 2 months alone this year they have kidnapped and held hostage over 200 school children. They kidnapped and held hostage 87 people in one day in March. Who knew this? Where were the international calls of condemnation?

Are you taking the P**s?

Try entering 'Boko Haram condemnation' into your favourite search engine, it should really put your mind at rest. (y)

Oh....you DO think Hamas and other terrorist organisations are getting a free hit.

That's the equivalent of saying that criminals are getting away with breaking the law, whilst law abiding citizens are not.

The biggest issue with any kind of criminality is that it requires huge amounts of effort and resources from prevention to detection to enforcement/regulation to prosecution. Unless you're serious about doing all of those, criminality will continue.

Bringing it back to terrorist organisations, we should not forget that many of them are state sponsored, either openly or tacitly. And yes, many sovereign states act in a very similar way to said outlawed terrorist organisations. Just look at what Syria (backed by Russia) has inflicted on its own people.

It's also interesting that you used the word "barbarian" in your earlier post. I would suggest that Netanyahu, his government and the IDF have done more than most to de-humanise their sworn enemies whilst systematically dismantling the work of the Oslo accords. Israels biggest problem right now would appear to be Netanyahu (just as Putin is for Russia) He is desperately trying to prop up his deeply unpopular government (and avoid criminal charges) and nothing good will come from the Middle East until he is gone.

Last edited:
  • React
Reactions: QR
For those oft spouting about war criminals (of any race,religion etc) being "held to account".......... take a look at this.

Over 900 staff members: From approximately 100 States.

6 official languages: English, French, Arabic, Chinese, Russian and Spanish.

1 ICC Liaison Office to the United Nations in New York and 7 ICC Country Offices in Kinshasa and Bunia (Democratic Republic of the Congo, “DRC”); Kampala (Uganda); Bangui (Central African Republic, “CAR”); Abidjan (Côte d’Ivoire); Tbilisi (Georgia); and Bamako (Mali).

2 working languages: English and French.

Headquarters: The Hague, the Netherlands.

2023 budget: €169,649,200

There have thus far been 31 cases before the Court, with some cases having more than one suspect.

ICC judges have issued 42 arrest warrants. Thanks to cooperation from States, 21 people have been detained in the ICC detention centre and have appeared before the Court. 17 people remain at large. Charges have been dropped against 7 people due to their deaths.

ICC judges have also issued 9 summonses to appear.

The judges have issued 10 convictions and 4 acquittals.

Not a glorious strike rate really. 🤷‍♂️

Again great argument.

I see you can’t argue that you disagree, or that I’m wrong. But I’m the one gaslighting.

Huge amount of knowledge on the subject you’re demonstrating there.

If you can’t debate it why bother commenting?
I apologize unreservedly to everyone else that I’m even rising to this. I made my point very clearly. It doesn’t need adding to.

The fact that you’ve responded with inarticulate anger and repetition doesn’t require me to respond further.

For the record i studied this as part of my degree which was in politics and international relations from a relatively decent institution. And I travelled extensively through the Palestinian Territories. I’m politically neutral when it comes to apportioning blame. But I will raise my eyebrows on here when I see absurd radical subjective statements.