Ex Player Jack Stevens

This was always on the cards at some point.
A keeper who is nearly 32 doesn't sign a 3 year contract to sit on the bench indefinitely.
He will have been told that he will be back to number 1 when an acceptable offer comes in for Jack. We would have to loan another keeper as the other lads are not ready yet.
Good point there.
You would think that a lot of the transfer details on Jack have already been done, hence Easty’s contract extension, that is, if it is happening.
You could well see an ‘undisclosed’ fee here if true.

Maybe if jack goes we could get the goalie Lincoln had on loan last season or put a cheeky bid in for maxwell Blackpool goalie

Could we sell and then immediately take back on a season-long loan? Is that on the table I wonder.

Nick Pope joined Burnley from Charlton for just over a million after 33 appearances, so that’s probably the sort of fee we could expect

Be a big shame if he goes. Not many keepers establish themselves as no.1 at a club by 23 and they tend to peak later than other positions, he could be our no.1 for the next 10+ years if he stays.

Had Easty not had a real crisis of confidence, Stevens would perhaps be still playing second fiddle here.
If very good money (>1.5m) is offered for our young, talented keeper, then we would be foolish not to take it.
Use some of the proceeds to find more starlets to shine.

• React
Reactions: MJB
Be a big shame if he goes. Not many keepers establish themselves as no.1 at a club by 23 and they tend to peak later than other positions, he could be our no.1 for the next 10+ years if he stays.

Unfortunately he will make much more signing one contract with Aston Villa as there 5th choice goalie than if he plays in goal for us until he is 67. Like you say it’s a shame but the reality is we can’t fight off championship clubs so got no hope when the real big boys come in.

• React
Reactions: MJB
However Jack would be going as a reserve rather than a starter. You may well be right, I have no idea.

They would be buying potential. 2-3m they’d be happy to gamble as if he becomes the no1. They’ve got a young English keeper who also becomes an assist.

If Martinez has another season like last, he will be sold. No question about that. He will go to a top Prem team or a top team in Spain or Italy.

It’s the nature of the game. The big clubs always have those eyes 2-3 years down the line. Stevens fits the bill and is being talked about in higher circles than L1.

Club did clever business getting him signed for 3years - means maximum revenue

Nick Pope joined Burnley from Charlton for just over a million after 33 appearances, so that’s probably the sort of fee we could expect

How many years left on his contract? How many left on Stevens?

Villa are much bigger and richer than Burnley so they can stick a million on that.

That was also over 6 years ago the market for English players especially a Goalkeeper where the talent pool is rather limited, has increased ten fold. We should be looking for minimum 2M + add ons and sell on considering what he is worth to us as a club who also do not need to sell/not desperate for money

I thought that selling of our young talented players is our current business model?
I assume that we do need to sell???
Not desperately, but we do need to sell.

I thought that selling of our young talented players is our current business model?
I assume that we do need to sell???
Not desperately, but we do need to sell.

It’s not much of a business model if you sell cheaply to the first club who comes knocking without lining up replacements. Every player at every club has there value (that also depends on the club who want them) but that doesn’t mean you don’t try to extract the maximum.

It’s not much of a business model if you sell cheaply to the first club who comes knocking without lining up replacements. Every player at every club has there value (that also depends on the club who want them) but that doesn’t mean you don’t try to extract the maximum.
You might want to have a word with Tiger.....

That was also over 6 years ago the market for English players especially a Goalkeeper where the talent pool is rather limited, has increased ten fold. We should be looking for minimum 2M + add ons and sell on considering what he is worth to us as a club who also do not need to sell/not desperate for money
So you mean the market has increased two fold not ten, otherwise we would be talking a fee of 10m which is clearly not the case.

My question is. Do we have to sell ?. How much money does this consortium actually have to put into the club, assuming the takeover goes ahead ?.
How ambitious are they with all the talk about being a Championship club ?. Yes, we have unfortunately had to sell some of our best players to survive in the past, and unless big changes are afoot then i can only see their being no difference in the future, we need a stable side to gain promotion otherwise we are going nowhere., at present we are a solid league one club.

Why is it assumed Eastwood will be first choice if Stevens goes? He's got a young family and is settled in the area. He could be prioritising that over everything else.

Why is it assumed Eastwood will be first choice if Stevens goes? He's got a young family and is settled in the area. He could be prioritising that over everything else.
I think lots of people haven't thought about this aspect of him signing a contract.

Back
Top Bottom