Ex Player Jack Stevens

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic......but from watching the highlights, I reckon Jack Stevens probably saves the 3rd goal last night as well?

I'm not blaming Eastwood - it was a great strike by a player who should not have been given the space that he was - but I feel that Stevens is the better shot-stopper with the sharper reactions, particularly for strikes in the upper half of the goal (Eastwood does do well going to ground).

Which doesn't mean we should rush Jack back before he's ready. Eastwood is still a competent lower division keeper.....most of the time.....

There’s no doubt in my mind that Jack Stevens can wear espadrilles like a champ. Probably with a pair of skinny white jeans.

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic......but from watching the highlights, I reckon Jack Stevens probably saves the 3rd goal last night as well?

I'm not blaming Eastwood - it was a great strike by a player who should not have been given the space that he was - but I feel that Stevens is the better shot-stopper with the sharper reactions, particularly for strikes in the upper half of the goal (Eastwood does do well going to ground).

Which doesn't mean we should rush Jack back before he's ready. Eastwood is still a competent lower division keeper.....most of the time.....

Crikey, I'm not sure any one was saving that, certainly looking for a stick to beat Eastwood with.
For what it's worth, I'm pinning way more of the blame on Sam Long for their 4th than I am Eastwood. You have to be alert to everything, he seemingly didn't realise he had a player behind him, yet along reacting to the ball reaching him. If that had been Hanson allowing that kind of goal, he'd have been crucified on here.

Stevens has let a few goals in this season down to either side that if they had been Eastwood - there would have been questions.

Stevens is a good upcoming keeper but I really don't think he is quite as amazing as some think, not yet anyway. He's still relatively young (in age and experience) for a goalkeeper - 47 league starts which is only just over one season's worth.

Crikey, I'm not sure any one was saving that, certainly looking for a stick to beat Eastwood with.
For what it's worth, I'm pinning way more of the blame on Sam Long for their 4th than I am Eastwood. You have to be alert to everything, he seemingly didn't realise he had a player behind him, yet along reacting to the ball reaching him. If that had been Hanson allowing that kind of goal, he'd have been crucified on here.

Stevens has let a few goals in this season down to either side that if they had been Eastwood - there would have been questions.

Stevens is a good upcoming keeper but I really don't think he is quite as amazing as some think, not yet anyway. He's still relatively young (in age and experience) for a goalkeeper - 47 league starts which is only just over one season's worth.
I agree with that first paragraph And therein lies this forum in a nutshell:

Eastwood and Long - it's an Eastwood clanger;

Yet were Stevens and Hanson to perform the very same routine - it would be Hanson who had single-handedly destroyed our triumphant march to Wembley

Finally dared to watch the highlights away at the Gas, I would say the first goal from the edge of the box, Eastwood takes a massive step to his left and gets completely done. No idea why he committed that early, got totally sold by the body shape. Poor keeping even if it's poor defending/refereeing (drawn to the ball and McGuane clearly being fouled in the build up).

Second no chance and third he's perhaps a tiny bit slow to react, but is a great hit. Don't think there's really a mistake there.

Fourth they both misread, but keeper always has to be the decisive one there.

Hope Jack is back relatively soon and isn't feeling any after effects of what can be a pretty nasty thing to catch. As already he's a better keeper.

Just to be clear - I'm not saying that the 3rd goal was an Eastwood mistake. Most lower league goalkeepers are going to wave at that one.

But I think an excellent shot-stopper might be able to get something on that.......and I also think we've seen enough from Jack Stevens to think that he could be an excellent shot stopper, particularly on high drives (he's a little less accomplished on saves at ground level).

I feel it’s worth bringing this thread up again. Jack Stevens is back in and he’s doing well again. A very good save at 1-1 yesterday helped us out a lot.

We’re a better team with him in it. He pushes us forward and is less ‘stay at home’ than Eastwood. He must be nearing 60 appearances with us and his distribution is improving. He has the odd wobble but nothing that’s leading to goals which is reassuring.

He’s the absolute number one for me.

Last edited:
I feel it’s worth bringing this thread up again. Jack Stevens is back in and he’s doing well again. A very good save at 1-1 yesterday helped us out a lot.

We’re a better team with him in it. He pushes us forward and is less ‘stay at home’ than Eastwood. He must be bearing 60 appearances with us and his distribution is improving. He has the odd wobble but nothing that’s leading to goals which is reassuring.

his kicking needs a bit of improving/ additional work ... but, yep, Jack Stevens is number 1 for me too

We’re a better team with him in it. He pushes us forward and is less ‘stay at home’ than Eastwood. He must be bearing 60 appearances with us and his distribution is improving. He has the odd wobble but nothing that’s leading to goals which is reassuring.

Yes I think you’re right, but Eastwood is still very decent and I don’t like the people who sneer at him on here.

Here's a memory. Phil Whitehead,
'.....Youuuuuu're....God!!!'
Elliott Jackson,
"......You're....son of God!!!!'

One of my treasured memories.
And, I have Phil Whitehead's Jersey from the away at Middlesborough game, when Malcolm Shotton was manager and big Phil threw it into the crowd. My son Elliot (also a goal keeper) took it into his chest and held on for dear life! Happy days.

For whatever reason, he hasn't been at the same level of last season. That said, his level then was so high that anything below that will be disappointing to some. Can't see the clamour from some to bring Eastwood back, Stevens is still the better keeper.

Back
Top Bottom