Transfer Window January 2024 Post Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Maybe a bit more scope for RR to play a bit further forward as a false nine now we have four genuine CM options (plus Smyth). Bodin's also played up top through the middle effectively in the past.

Would have been nice to have one more as still think O'Donkor would benefit with a good run of games out on loan, but with Goodwin and Harris we've at least got a couple of options.

Leonard being announced would be all the more surprised since Stoke announced Ennis minutes after Blackburn announced their lad from the MLS - it feels like that was the 1 in, 1 out. I’d love to be wrong.

If not I suspect there are a few that find themselves without a contract but if they aren’t match fit or capable of at least an hour day one, don’t bother. 17 games left now, that’s not a lot.

Des can’t argue he doesn’t have virtually all the tools now, particularly when Goodwin, Murphy and Bodin are back in the next week. I still think an incomplete dugout is going to undo us a bit, our performances just don’t look right to me at all but these players may see us change a few things. Might matete play behind Brannagan and McGuane in a 451? Rodrigues in the 9 and Harris wide? Who knows. But he’s got options now and needs to show he’s a better manager than he has been. Waldron has pulled it out the bag for him.

I voted 4 in the other post, it has gone up to 7 since yesterdays activity. If we had signed a striker, would have been 9.

Still think we have made another mistake by not getting a striker and were pinning our hopes on Marriot. Just my opinion though.

I do wonder what happened with the striker we were so publicly chasing. If it was Leonard then it’s strange it didn’t happen as I would have assumed we were just waiting for them to sign a striker…which they did.

Personally, I don’t think we were really in for Marriot this time. It didn’t really seem to fit with Des’s comments after the game. I know some people have said he has played out wide before but I still consider him to be a number 9. Unless he was talking more about Harris going out wide and rotating Goodwin and Marriot/Leonard?

Anyway I do think it’s been a decent window. Hopefully Bodin and Murphy can return soon and then we’ll have some depth.

Last edited:
Harry Leonard might still be coming as well if the paperwork was put through in time with caveat that Blackburn's new signing from MLS gets a visa & work permit. Should know by Monday.

Is this speculation or based on any shred of knowledge?

I suppose I agree with everyone else!

I still think we are a striker short (GoD can - and probably should - go out on loan and Harris can play wider, so no great logjam in front of goal), and I do rather worry about the fitness and match fitness of some of the signings. We have 17 games left of the season - at one extreme Goodwin will probably play most games, Edwards very few. So the value we get from each signing *this season* is going to partially depend on how many games they play. I suspect the plan might, however, be to sign Edwards and Burey at the end of this season.

In general though, pretty good - I am always very sceptical of the quality of player you can get in January, and the recruitment team have done well.

I suppose I agree with everyone else!

I still think we are a striker short (GoD can - and probably should - go out on loan and Harris can play wider, so no great logjam in front of goal), and I do rather worry about the fitness and match fitness of some of the signings. We have 17 games left of the season - at one extreme Goodwin will probably play most games, Edwards very few. So the value we get from each signing *this season* is going to partially depend on how many games they play. I suspect the plan might, however, be to sign Edwards and Burey at the end of this season.

In general though, pretty good - I am always very sceptical of the quality of player you can get in January, and the recruitment team have done well.
I would have liked us to sign Marriot on the cheap this window, but given the choice, Matete is a better signing IMO.

I think that Goodwin and Harris will play most of the remaining games, hopefully together. Harris has shown great resilience and has not looked tired despite playing pretty much every game. He looks as sharp now as he did at the start of the season. Goodwin appears to be a robust signing who may help protect and take some of the burden away from Harris.

With those two, either playing together or alternating, with support from Burey, Dale, Goodrham, Henry, Ruben and even a more advanced Branagan. With the likes of Bodin, Edwards and possibly Browne helping a little near the end of the season. I think we have cover.

I've not included Murphy as I don't want to rely on him AT ALL, He's proven to be unreliable and does not deserve to be given the opportunity, even if he is likely to be the best player on the pitch.

GOD could go out on loan.

Harry Leonard might still be coming as well if the paperwork was put through in time with caveat that Blackburn's new signing from MLS gets a visa & work permit. Should know by Monday.
Yes maybe, wasn't there some transatlantic panic?..... Now... AFAIK.... Sorted

There's far more clubs in desperate need for a striker. Derby couldn't get one done all window (they have Collins as their only fit striker), Charlton linked (obviously) and a few champ clubs. This would be non starter, wage demands would be 🚀
🤣 - Especially since Charlie would have seen the post on this thread.

I just hope that Matete signing doesn’t turn out like the Browne one was a couple of seasons ago e.g. coming back from a knee injury, played against Pompey, then out for most of the season.

Back
Top Bottom