Transfer Window January 2024 Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window So Far

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m glad McGinty will at least get games. No point in him being here when he doesn’t even make the bench. Unfortunately Eastwood wont be going anywhere. That’s why we need a new goalie as understudy to Cumming
Beat Derry 5:4 pre season friendly at the weekend

It's so depressing I can't sleep ,it's 4pm I've noticed the Klaxon hasn't gone ,no ones signed .Or am I dreaming and we are signing some really class players. No we can't be reading from the remarks of some of our incredibly depressing forum members. 9 days to go and probably 3 more class players to come.

I see that Derby have signed Blackett-Taylor on loan until the end of the season, when he will be out of contract.
This is blatantly a way of getting around their transfer restrictions. I’m sure the EFL will be straight on it (or not).

McGuane's situation reminds me very much of Rothwell when he was here. Has the skillset and ability to flourish at a much higher level but isn't played in a role/system that gets the best out of him on a regular basis. I don't think he will sign an extension (regardless of division) and I predict he will go on to thrive higher up the pyramid.

I don't think anyone would disagree with that, other than to say that when McGuane's role and qualities are discussed - particularly in relation to his (at times) negative traits - there is always this talk of him somehow being 'shackled'.

As if some malevolent force (a manager, a system) has some power over him limiting his true potential.

Whereas I'm inclined to think there is something in his nature (and possibly his footballing upbringing) that encourages this lack of forward drive.

No-one else seems to get the shackled excuse. For me, he needs to be more consistently positive in his play - and that can only really come from him.

I think the main reason people talk of him being 'shackled' is because it's blatantly obvious he has the talent to be more effective, but we're not necessarily set up to allow for that and that is mainly because of the lack of other options. We didn't hear anyone say the likes of Brown or Long were 'shackled' at full back last season as it's obvious they are defenders first and foremost.

I think you're right that there are manager/system reasons for not getting the best out of him. Robinson's inability to build a proper squad was most certainly the malevolent force you refer to last season and there is a hangover of that on the current squad. Our central midfield last season was Brannagan and McGuane and we were bloody lucky that neither of them were out for a prolonged period. @Swaby39 has nailed it regarding flogging McGuane to the point he loses effectiveness. He plays a lot of minutes, the only 2 outfield players with more minutes this season are Brown and Moore. I don't think it's coincidence that the more explosive part of his game of driving past the opposition tends to peter out after those minutes start to accumulate.

If we hold Plymouth up as the blueprint for a well assembled squad, then none of their players played more minutes in League 1 last season than McGuane. With a lack of an obvious defensive midfielder, then McGuane assumed that role, something he has been asked to do a bit too much of this season as well. If he's picking the ball up off the centre backs then I think it's unlikely he's going to go driving past people. That's not really a mentality thing in my eyes, more that it's sensible to not try and beat opposition players near the edge of your own penalty area. In that sense I also think the combination with Brannagan as a 2 can be a hindrance, as they're both very good at getting up the pitch but they often can't both do it together at the same time.

It's part of the reason why I'd really like a defensive midfielder in this window. I think Buckingham said his preferred formations are 3-4-3 and 4-3-3 so the second of those would likely necessitate a DM. I also think that would be the formation to get the best out of McGuane where there was a designated defensive midfielder to screen the back 4, leaving both Brannagan and McGuane further up the pitch.

Perhaps you are right there is a mentality thing there with him as well. Often these things are a combination of many things. Perhaps his legs start to feel heavier and then he doesn't fancy it so much? But the talent is quite obviously there and I'd like us to find a way to bring it out more often. In my eyes it'd be absolute madness to just him walk away at the end of the season.

#FreeMcGuane

I think the main reason people talk of him being 'shackled' is because it's blatantly obvious he has the talent to be more effective, but we're not necessarily set up to allow for that and that is mainly because of the lack of other options. We didn't hear anyone say the likes of Brown or Long were 'shackled' at full back last season as it's obvious they are defenders first and foremost.

I think you're right that there are manager/system reasons for not getting the best out of him. Robinson's inability to build a proper squad was most certainly the malevolent force you refer to last season and there is a hangover of that on the current squad. Our central midfield last season was Brannagan and McGuane and we were bloody lucky that neither of them were out for a prolonged period. @Swaby39 has nailed it regarding flogging McGuane to the point he loses effectiveness. He plays a lot of minutes, the only 2 outfield players with more minutes this season are Brown and Moore. I don't think it's coincidence that the more explosive part of his game of driving past the opposition tends to peter out after those minutes start to accumulate.

If we hold Plymouth up as the blueprint for a well assembled squad, then none of their players played more minutes in League 1 last season than McGuane. With a lack of an obvious defensive midfielder, then McGuane assumed that role, something he has been asked to do a bit too much of this season as well. If he's picking the ball up off the centre backs then I think it's unlikely he's going to go driving past people. That's not really a mentality thing in my eyes, more that it's sensible to not try and beat opposition players near the edge of your own penalty area. In that sense I also think the combination with Brannagan as a 2 can be a hindrance, as they're both very good at getting up the pitch but they often can't both do it together at the same time.

It's part of the reason why I'd really like a defensive midfielder in this window. I think Buckingham said his preferred formations are 3-4-3 and 4-3-3 so the second of those would likely necessitate a DM. I also think that would be the formation to get the best out of McGuane where there was a designated defensive midfielder to screen the back 4, leaving both Brannagan and McGuane further up the pitch.

Perhaps you are right there is a mentality thing there with him as well. Often these things are a combination of many things. Perhaps his legs start to feel heavier and then he doesn't fancy it so much? But the talent is quite obviously there and I'd like us to find a way to bring it out more often. In my eyes it'd be absolute madness to just him walk away at the end of the season.

#FreeMcGuane
#OseiYawforAssistantManager

#FreeMcGuane
What happens to RR in your 4-3-3?

#FreeMcGuane
He’s here next season, can only see us taking the option.

Yep.

But gets less leeway than MM, who, season after season does exactly the same thing. Start superbly, fade disappointingly.
As said above, MM should get the odd rest and have to compete with new midfielder XX. The only three I'd pre-print on the team sheet are goalie, Moore, and Cam. It's not being a bitch to rotate and vary the team to suit fitness levels and the opposition.

As said above, MM should get the odd rest and have to compete with new midfielder XX. The only three I'd pre-print on the team sheet are goalie, Moore, and Cam. It's not being a bitch to rotate and vary the team to suit fitness levels and the opposition.
Amen to that.

He can sit out the odd game. He can look great against bad teams but be rolled over by good ones ... he was awful at Coventry.

He was really poor in the last home game or it may have been the penultimate home game - couldn't make a five yard pass. He looks that archetypal lower league player who can flit between championship standard and NL standard in the space of a week.
**I'm talking about RR not McGuane**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom