Transfer News Jordan Archer

apart from Archer-inflicted follow-ups, I don't recall many of these shots on target really needing saving.
Umm, a shot on target that isn't saved is a goal!!!

I'm not saying that Archer has been making half a dozen worldies each game, but neither was Eastwood. Our defence has been very good at limiting real chances, but those that do come through need saving. I'm not sure Archer could have done anymore with the goals scored and has flapped at one cross and spilled one shot in 5 games. That's not bad for a player that has been out several months.

Umm, a shot on target that isn't saved is a goal!!!

I'm not saying that Archer has been making half a dozen worldies each game, but neither was Eastwood. Our defence has been very good at limiting real chances, but those that do come through need saving. I'm not sure Archer could have done anymore with the goals scored and has flapped at one cross and spilled one shot in 5 games. That's not bad for a player that has been out several months.
I was there yesterday and he was very good. He could have done better with the spilled shot, but his recovery was excellent. He's a little bit quicker than Eastwood as well. There's very little between the two of them based on the games I have seen him in....

The defence have been brilliant, the goalkeepers have had a minimum to do, lets hope we keep the defence together so this situation doesn't change.

Given the god like status of Easty, Archer has done really well. Made some great saves and definitely won us points - he's no Mike Salmon and I dont see him as a risk - he flapped at the AFC goal and that is probably his only real mistake since he arrived

He’s a good keeper, just a tendency to flap on crosses. Sort that out and he could be an upgrade on Easty.

Given the god like status of Easty, Archer has done really well. Made some great saves and definitely won us points - he's no Mike Salmon and I dont see him as a risk - he flapped at the AFC goal and that is probably his only real mistake since he arrived
Apart from the flap at the Lincoln cross that almost cost us 2 points on Boxing Day.

I'm not anti-Archer but he doesn't fill me with confidence and he's got away with two clangers, the latter I'll grant due to a good recovery.

Still Eastwood for me though when he's fit again.

Archer really doesn't like to come for crosses. I would like to see my keeper claiming anything within the six yard box and within a yard of his posts.

RO suggested he has made at least one very good save yesterday.
He made 2 good saves late on v Lincoln to get the win for us.
Sure he isnt perfect but for those level e seems a calm, decent keeper.

See, I don’t think he is calm. I think he is erratic, especially on crosses. The one he spilled yesterday he should have caught easily.

Also RO said he caused a couple of issues at the Lincoln game which he did.

The good thing is, the defence are being extra defensive/alert so helping keep clean sheets e.g. a bit like when an outfield player goes in goal, they’re having to work that bit extra and keep focused.

I think his kicking in terms of distance is very good, but many times he over kicks it when trying to find our free players out wide, thus giving a throw in to the opposition.

So based on the above I’m happy with him for cover, but either want Eastwood back quickly or another keeper if we need a permanent replacement.

We all know keepers like any player on the pitch are prone to a mistake or two during a game, but I just feel more assured with Eastwood than Archer who at times I’m not overly confident about.

Last edited:
He has had a few moments...

Totally missing that cross; some dodgy chest high punches; spilling balls that really should be caught. Luckily, none have been punished.
You can see why that Millwall compilation could easily happen.

On the whole though he has been okay, with has a good defence in front of him.

Not sure I'd see him as a first choice keeper in the Championship.

He made 2 or 3 against Lincoln which on another day could have been converted into goals. He seems quite laid back at times e.g. doesn’t come for balls when he should, thus confusing the situation or seems in two minds, again causing confusing/doubt, but like I said earlier it seems the defence have got to know him now so are being more vigilant/focused/wary which is helping the defensive cause.

Not sure I'd see him as a first choice keeper in the Championship.

This. I see him as one of those players who exists ‘between’ the leagues, eg he’s a very good player at League One level, but not quite good enough at Championship level. Seemingly a few of our recent ex players are also at that level.

This is where Wayne Brown earns his wage.

Archer seems like his reflexes and agility are no issue. It's decision making and handling of crosses that need drilled on, until every potential situation is second nature.

• React
Reactions: Ian
But then arguably saved us by pulling off two good saves in the follow up. Of course these wouldn't have been needed if he'd held the first shot, but he's conceded 2 in 5 league games which have seen 17 shots on target against us.

As a player who had been out of action for several months, I'd say that he has been more than decent and will get better with more games. Definitely worth sticking with until Eastwood is 100% and maybe also worth keeping until the end of the season to give us the best chance of promotion.

Wrong he got very lucky as the wombles player had a simple tap in but never connected properly and then actual blocked our players (Brannagan?) attempt to put it for a corner.
Watch the Lincoln header near the end that hit the post and went across goal, he was very very very slow reacting and then for some bizarre reason never grabbed the ball near the far post almost allowing the Lincoln player to score.
Those type of basic errors need addressing imho

Wrong he got very lucky as the wombles player had a simple tap in but never connected properly and then actual blocked our players (Brannagan?) attempt to put it for a corner.
Watch the Lincoln header near the end that hit the post and went across goal, he was very very very slow reacting and then for some bizarre reason never grabbed the ball near the far post almost allowing the Lincoln player to score.
Those type of basic errors need addressing imho

Re Scotchegg’s highlighted but; And should never have put the team/himself in that position.

Fine until the end of the season (most likely as backup when Eastwood is fit) and gives us a chance to send Stevens out on loan. Can't really see a problem with that.

If he pushes on and irons those moments of panic/calamity out he may make himself first choice longer term, but given what Millwall fans have said about his previous would be a big ask.

Thanks for filling in for Easty Jordan but today showed again why some of us were watching recent games through our hands.......

good luck!

Back
Top Bottom