Current Player #4 Jordan Thorniley

Thorniley isn’t bad on the ball but he’s small and weak and can be bullied quite easily. I can see why Blackpool don’t want him in the Championship and I think our centre back pairing needs to be Moore and McNally moving forwards.

Have to say, after comparing the two on Saturday, perhaps we should have pushed harder for Boyle ahead of Thorniley.

Have to say, after comparing the two on Saturday, perhaps we should have pushed harder for Boyle ahead of Thorniley.
KR has recently said, he was one who was way out of price range, and we moved on extremely quickly i.e. paper/agent talk massively overstated any interest we did show.

Don't think our high full-backs help the centre backs a lot of the time. Even in the short highlights of the Cheltenham game, there are 3 examples of their goalkeeper kicking long into the spaces behind Seddon/Long.

Last edited:
KR has recently said, he was one who was way out of price range, and we moved on extremely quickly.

Don't think our high full-backs help the centre backs a lot of the time. Even in the short highlights of the Cheltenham game, there are 3 examples of their goalkeeper kicking long into the spaces behind Seddon/Long.

I think he'll always struggle against physicality. When Vassell came on second half he gave Thorniley a hard time. I get it with a more diminutive CB you have to be clever and to be fair to Thorniley, he has showed some good play in recent games against big strikers (Stockley, Vokes etc)....but it will always be a thing for him to think about and moments like the goal on Saturday are always going to be a concern, someone of Boyle stature, with the extra height and comparable ball playing would have been ideal. Agree with the previous post....would like to see more of Moore/McNally as a pairing, see how that works..

The high fullbacks didn’t force Thorniley not to win his header, or not to bother tracking back with the man who just beat him to the ball. If he busts a gut to keep up with the run then he’s in a position to clear the ball, but he jogs back. Not good enough from him, and the majority of the blame of the goal is with him.

I'm not gonna start panicking about Jordan Thorniley after one poor performance, he's looked excellent since he's been here, as has McNally, and Moore has been good when he's played.

I'm much more concerned about our lack of options up front!

I think he's ok, but you can see why Blackpool were happy to see him go. Kyle Vassell pushed him around when he came on. I'd actually rather see him in the Gorrin role, sitting in front of the back four. He's a better tackler than Gorrin and passes well. I thought McNally looked good again- I reckon he could turn out to be the best of our recent centre halves. He's a great athlete- quick and very good in the air. Just needs to learn how to kick people like Dickie did.

Thornley is a fine centre back , just exposed as on the small side especially as we have small CF and midfield.

Felt really sorry for Jordan caught in the middle of a ridiculous transfer row over Brannagan. To sit with the away fans on a Tuesday night in Wigan given what has gone on shows more commitment to a club compared with the £300,000 a week players in the Premier league who are like prostitutes. Rant over, great point at Wigan

Last edited:
I would love to be a fly on the wall when the manager/owner hear about this.

When does his contract expire?

His contract expires this summer - but, Blackpool have an option for another year.

His contract expires this summer - but, Blackpool have an option for another year.
...which they will trigger (it would be madness to do otherwise). He's certainly an asset that many League 1 sides would happily pay for to have in their ranks.

I don't see any issue with it? He's allowed to do what he wants with his free time, it doesn't affect Blackpool in any way and it was a relatively short trip for him, assuming he lives in the area. Fair play to him, he obviously enjoyed his time here and felt part of the club.

I don't see any issue with it? He's allowed to do what he wants with his free time, it doesn't affect Blackpool in any way and it was a relatively short trip for him, assuming he lives in the area. Fair play to him, he obviously enjoyed his time here and felt part of the club.
Agree 100%, he’s made some mates with our team during his time with us so nothing wrong with a short trip to cheer on his old muckers. As for being in the away end some clubs only allocate the away team freebie tickets in the away end rather than the cushy director areas.
If Mcguane went to see Forest play I hope we wouldn’t go into meltdown.

There's a players' lounge at Wigan, where players' families, friends, agents, etc can go and sit in comfort and relative anonymity. If he'd asked I'm sure the club would have got him a place there. The fact that he chose to go in the away section and pose for photographs etc tells me this was a calculated move which he knew would be noticed.

Interesting.

Mackenzie Chapman was also in the away section last night down towards the front - assume he had travelled as the third keeper (I didn't get in for the warm-up).

Although on reflection, I seem to recall he is from that part of the world to, so may have used the day off (on the basis the first team travelled to Wigan on Tuesday) to visit family etc. and then came to the game.

Back
Top Bottom