Journalists and their craft.....................

The deterioration of Channel 4 news is sad to see. Ratings have fallen away so I’m clearly not the only one who doesn’t bother with it anymore

It used to be my go to news program in particular their overseas news coverage, however during the Brexit referendum and subsequent General Elections it has shown itself to not be impartial. It feels like something happened behind the scenes, the whole editorial aspect of the program appears to have changed.

Radio 5live news programmes are have also become views of the presenters & editorial teams, rather than of the actual news.

The deterioration of Channel 4 news is sad to see. Ratings have fallen away so I’m clearly not the only one who doesn’t bother with it anymore

It used to be my go to news program in particular their overseas news coverage, however during the Brexit referendum and subsequent General Elections it has shown itself to not be impartial. It feels like something happened behind the scenes, the whole editorial aspect of the program appears to have changed.

Radio 5live news programmes are have also become views of the presenters & editorial teams, rather than of the actual news.
When Jon Snow had his rant about the Tories at Glastonbury, I just stopped watching C4 News pretty much forever. I'm not surprised they are struggling and nor that their coverage was not impartial.

I gave up on BBC talk radio years ago. Whenever I get tempted to give it another try, 5 mins of listening puts me off. I yearn for what talk based radio was, not what it's become

I agree with the sentiment of the article.
The government do need the public to trust them. Unfortunately this Virus has struck at a time when the Government’s hands are still very dirty from Brexit, which has made that job of trust, for some, so much harder.

Personally I do think the Government have been more honest and transparent in dealing with the crisis, but if they are holding back on anything for the interests of third parties then it’s still the job of honest journalism to hold them to account.

Radio 5 has really been dumbed down over the last 5 years. I suspect it comes down to money, get rid of the top presenters on the bigger wages and replace them with inexperience at much less expense

I agree with the sentiment of the article.
The government do need the public to trust them. Unfortunately this Virus has struck at a time when the Government’s hands are still very dirty from Brexit, which has made that job of trust, for some, so much harder.

Personally I do think the Government have been more honest and transparent in dealing with the crisis, but if they are holding back on anything for the interests of third parties then it’s still the job of honest journalism to hold them to account.
Ironically, trust in the Govt is very high at the moment, a lot higher than journalists.

This from YouGovt says a lot:

Granted, but goes against the grain of a few people on here doesn't it? Kind of proves this place doesn't represent the views of the nation.

Granted, but goes against the grain of a few people on here doesn't it? Kind of proves this place doesn't represent the views of the nation.

I don't think a simplified poll of 1643 people represents the views of the nation*, somehow; and government support's dropped by 6 points in that last 2 weeks which is odd given the triumphs they've achieved.

If you look at the detail, the striking thing is how totally Marmite the acting PM is.

* This place certainly doesn't, it's just a handful of fools shouting in a bucket.

I know you are, but what am I?

:rolleyes:

'A grim day for the country' announces the negative-minded BBC. '30,000 people have now died from Covid-19 in the UK'. Why couldn't they have stated 66,970,000 people in the UK have NOT died of the virus? Always looking at the down side.

(PS This is not belittling the tragic loss of life we are experiencing, it's intended as a parody on the various social media posts doing the rounds suggesting the BBC (and others) are acting treacherously at the time of a national crisis, even though they are just reporting facts).

We have discharged 551 confirmed positive patients. 246 have died.

Local rag......... "Grim death toll marches steadily higher"............ makes you wonder why you go to work, although I am sure the family & friends of the 551 know why we do.

Bad news sells papers, division generates social media clicks, the world we live in eh?

Yes, it would be going so well if it wasn't for the press scrutinising the government's performance; anyone would think this was a free country.

I might have misheard but one of the answers to Peston yesterday in the 5pm Downing Street briefing had to explain that a cumulative deaths graph doesn’t go down.

I’ll have to try and find it to see exactly what he said.

I might have misheard but one of the answers to Peston yesterday in the 5pm Downing Street briefing had to explain that a cumulative deaths graph doesn’t go down.

I’ll have to try and find it to see exactly what he said.
Yes, I heard that, Peston being a prat, again!
You would think that being a trained journalist dealing with both the spoken and written form of English, he would have a better understanding.

Back
Top Bottom