Ex Player Nathan Holland

I was expecting him to really push on.
We have been spoiled a bit but us you compare him with Fosu, Browne or even Whyte, he is not quite there.

Holland is also a victim of our system & lack of a reliable left back.

He’s a left forward only in 4-3-3.

Am sure there is also a lack of confidence at play here. He has demonstrated in bursts that he can make a big difference, but hasn't shown it enough either in terms of consistency or when the going gets tough ("match winner" moments). This summer will be a real crossroads for him...can see him going without a club and popping up at L1 or L2 again.

A shame really. There is obvious talent there, but it only seems to appear occasionally. I think that consistency and reliability is a big part of being a professional footballer and I'm not sure any manager would want to rely on Holland. That doesn't mean KR won't sign him in the summer though!

definitely a skilful and talented player is Holland

however , for me, he doesn't get involved as much as he should .... the odd flash of brilliance isn't enough in games where its a battle, when its all hands to the pumps so to speak, games like that, like yesterday at Shrewsbury, every Oxford player has to give 100% effort , we cant afford to have passengers

I honestly don't think Holland should be playing again this season.....not beyond the occasional cameo off the bench when we're behind, anyways. Hopefully we don't have anything in our agreement with West Ham where we promise to start him X number of games.

Other than as a 'Chalk-on-your-boots' left winger, he doesn't offer much - and we're not playing with one of those at the moment.

Even if Whyte is being pushed up to play alongside Matty T, I would still rather see Bodin, McGuane, Henry or Sykes (with Forde coming in at RWB) in that #10 role.

I think Barker has to be one of our most underrated players of recent times for me. At times he terrorised defenders, they couldn’t live with him. Scored one of the best solo goals I’ve seen by an Oxford player as well. Yes he was inconsistent and drifted in and out of games but when that’s levelled at Holland people are quick to say ‘That’s what wingers do - especially at this level’ - ok well why doesn’t that apply to Brandon Barker as well then?
Are you sure you didn't mean overrated? Lazy, inconsistent with only brief flashes of anything decent in my view. Who are these 'people' who say that's what wingers do when talking about Holland but not Barker? You use the term people as if it's the whole fan base. As far as I can see the Oxford fan base is not one homogeneous group. Plenty of people have criticized Holland as well as Barker and plenty of people have supported both or one or the other so not sure what you mean regarding why it doesn't apply to Barker too.

He provides alternatives/options.
Now some may think that is a "luxury" but I would rather we have them than not.
And we need to accept those "luxuries" come at a cost, players like Holland/Barker are rarely going to be grafting for the team but just as likely to pick the ball up, beat 5 or 6 players and slot it away.
Nice problem to have.

He provides alternatives/options.
Now some may think that is a "luxury" but I would rather we have them than not.
And we need to accept those "luxuries" come at a cost, players like Holland/Barker are rarely going to be grafting for the team but just as likely to pick the ball up, beat 5 or 6 players and slot it away.
Nice problem to have.
impact player IMO ....... bit of a showpony in a starting 11 IMO

Are you sure you didn't mean overrated? Lazy, inconsistent with only brief flashes of anything decent in my view. Who are these 'people' who say that's what wingers do when talking about Holland but not Barker? You use the term people as if it's the whole fan base. As far as I can see the Oxford fan base is not one homogeneous group. Plenty of people have criticized Holland as well as Barker and plenty of people have supported both or one or the other so not sure what you mean regarding why it doesn't apply to Barker too.
I’d take Barker over Holland right now for sure.

Holland has been a bit underwhelming- he doesn’t seems to have progressed a great deal - but there’s a way to go and he could still have an important goal or assist in him.

His winner against Pompey and the extra 2 points might be the difference between the playoffs and 7th, or even between 2nd and 3rd. As could be the goal Sam Winnall scored against Sheffield Wednesday. The entire squad have got us to where we are today and, as you've said, could still play a vital role this season.

His winner against Pompey and the extra 2 points might be the difference between the playoffs and 7th, or even between 2nd and 3rd. As could be the goal Sam Winnall scored against Sheffield Wednesday. The entire squad have got us to where we are today and, as you've said, could still play a vital role this season.
Yes, one of the things we’ve done better this year is that the whole squad has been involved and contributed at some point, and there are more twists and turns to come.

As a backup winger option Holland is decent. Not many clubs can boast the attacking options we have, and I think Holland has been the victim of just how good some of our attackers have been this season which has meant getting a run in the side has been tougher and he's struggled for consistency. Would I take him permanently on a free? Honestly, I'm not sure I would.

One consideration is that we probably won't have Gavin Whyte with us next season. He's still contracted, and Cardiff are in a bit of a mess financially. Given his good performances for us, especially recently, I reckon they'll want him for next season as a cheaper option to buying a new player. We've sort of replaced him already with Marcus Browne, but I'd rather us push the boat out for someone like a Nicky Cadden as Browne's competition as he can play anywhere on that left side - and would be an excellent signing especially if we stuck with the 3412 next season.

The other consideration is we have a young attacker in our youth team who has been consistently performing out on loan in Tyler Goodrham. I really think we've got a special little player in him, and will signing Holland as a 3rd/4th choice attacker mean we don't see Goodrham try and break into the first team sooner? Holland is the better player right now, but I think Goodrham has the higher ceiling at this point.

Holland will be fine. He'll easily get himself a L1 club like a Charlton or a team of that ilk if we don't sign him, and with more regular gametime I think he may well prove us all wrong. But L1 is so tough these days, we need attackers who are more consistent to be challenging at the top. If he could consistently perform close to the best we've seen of him he'd be fantastic, but something just isn't quite clicking enough for me.

One consideration is that we probably won't have Gavin Whyte with us next season. He's still contracted, and Cardiff are in a bit of a mess financially. Given his good performances for us, especially recently, I reckon they'll want him for next season as a cheaper option to buying a new player.

Out of contract at the end of the season with Cardiff. So he may be with us next season.

Back
Top Bottom