Matches Papa John’s

Why are these only available to ST holders when thus competition isn't included with ST's? The club are alienating the non ST holding part of the fanbase which is far larger than those with ST'S.
Imagine the uproar if they all sold out and season ticket holders didn't have first dibs.

Why are these only available to ST holders when thus competition isn't included with ST's? The club are alienating the non ST holding part of the fanbase which is far larger than those with ST'S.
You will get a chance come Monday, if there are any tickets left. But, I would imagine that if you are not at least registered on the club data base, you won't get a look in.

Of course, when you talk of a "fanbase" how would the club know if you are a fan or not? The "fanbase" IS the season ticket holders, how else can you quantify a "fanbase"?

You will get a chance come Monday, if there are any tickets left. But, I would imagine that if you are not at least registered on the club data base, you won't get a look in.

Of course, when you talk of a "fanbase" how would the club know if you are a fan or not? The "fanbase" IS the season ticket holders, how else can you quantify a "fanbase"?
The fan base is clearly wider than season ticket holders. Many can't commit to a season ticket but still go to plenty of games home and away. Another I know like the flexibility to sit in different areas of the ground (SSU with their parents, East with their mates, North when they take their kids) but still go to pretty much every game.

So whilst I agree that season ticket holders should always get first choice, that shouldn't mean that we should ignore the several thousand other fans that keep the club alive.

No. The fanbase isn't just season ticket holders, sorry that is nonsense. Season ticket holders are the first priority, they have paid up front for that privilege. There are thousands on the club ticketing system and marketing databases (I'd hope...), that is our fanbase. Everyone who identifies as an Oxford United supporter is our fanbase.

There are another 500 tickets available to non season ticket holders on Monday plus any left overs from the first 1000.

The fan base is clearly wider than season ticket holders. Many can't commit to a season ticket but still go to plenty of games home and away. Another I know like the flexibility to sit in different areas of the ground (SSU with their parents, East with their mates, North when they take their kids) but still go to pretty much every game.

So whilst I agree that season ticket holders should always get first choice, that shouldn't mean that we should ignore the several thousand other fans that keep the club alive.
No. The fanbase isn't just season ticket holders, sorry that is nonsense. Season ticket holders are the first priority, they have paid up front for that privilege. There are thousands on the club ticketing system and marketing databases (I'd hope...), that is our fanbase. Everyone who identifies as an Oxford United supporter is our fanbase.
Clearly I didn't get my thoughts across in a manner that was understood.

I have interpreted a "fanbase" as a quantifiable number. If you want to describe anyone who buys a ticket as a member of a fanbase, then that is something else.
Someone who has identified themselves as a fan and through a commitment to the club, affirms that status is, in my interpretation, a member of the "fanbase".
Perhaps one of you would like to explain what constitutes a "fanbase".

Not that it makes a huge difference to me as a season ticket holder but, in the context of who gets first denial on the purchase of a ticket, are you saying that someone who "identifies as an Oxford United supporter" should be included in that group because you class them as being part of the fanbase?

I have interpreted a "fanbase" as a quantifiable number. If you want to describe anyone who buys a ticket as a member of a fanbase, then that is something else.
Someone who has identified themselves as a fan and through a commitment to the club, affirms that status is, in my interpretation, a member of the "fanbase".

Not that it makes a huge difference to me as a season ticket holder but, in the context of who gets first denial on the purchase of a ticket, are you saying that someone who "identifies as an Oxford United supporter" should be included in that group because you class them as being part of the fanbase?

Both of us have said that season ticket holders should get first choice so your question has clearly been answered.

But as for a quantifiable number as the fan base then I would include everyone who has previously ordered tickets and are on our database. Of course that doesn't mean that everyone has equal rights to tickets, that should be as it has always been - season ticket holders, members (if reintroduced), everyone else.
There will always be people who are disadvantaged when demand is high, sadly that's life. But let's not forget that as a club we need the die hard season ticket holders AND casual supporters to survive.

I guess you have the core fan base, mainly ST holders and the wider fan base, who come out for Boxing Day and the bigger games i.e. Man City & Wembley etc

Are people ASSUMING my status as being part of the fanbase or not??

I`m fuming! It should be a protected characteristic.

#fbm Fanbase matters....

Isn`t that how things work these days?

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

"Scotchegg" reply was;
But as for a quantifiable number as the fan base then I would include everyone who has previously ordered tickets and are on our database. Of course that doesn't mean that everyone has equal rights to tickets, that should be as it has always been - season ticket holders, members (if reintroduced), everyone else.
There will always be people who are disadvantaged when demand is high, sadly that's life. But let's not forget that as a club we need the die hard season ticket holders AND casual supporters to survive.

I totally agree with Scotchegg's sentiments. I've never had a season ticket but I still consider myself a true Oxford fan for the following reasons!
  • I started watching them since I was 11 (1960) in the the Southern League all the way to nowadays as often as I could.
  • However, I played regular Saturday football until I was 45 so I never saw many Saturday U's matches but went to most midweek games.
  • We moved to South Devon in 2000 and have been to most Oxford games in the Southwest having bought my ticket via the OUFC online service eg; Torquay, Exeter, Plymouth, Bristol Rovers and Portsmouth but I have only managed to see a few home games in that time.
  • I've watched the whole 90 minutes of nearly every game on IFollow and its predecessor over the years and pay my £10 to view most games live this season.
  • I went to both recent Wembley finals making a weekend of it despite the disappointments.
  • I also spend hours a week reading most of what is put on this forum.
So although I don't spend anywhere near as much as a season ticket holder, let alone those who also go to most away games, I'm somewhat miffed that I and others who cannot attend games regularly through various circumstances are regarded as having "no commitment to the club"!
It feels that we are considered so unworthy by some that we shouldn't be aloud to call ourselves a fan of the club!

"Scotchegg" reply was;

I totally agree with Scotchegg's sentiments. I've never had a season ticket but I still consider myself a true Oxford fan for the following reasons!
  • I started watching them since I was 11 (1960) in the the Southern League all the way to nowadays as often as I could.
  • However, I played regular Saturday football until I was 45 so I never saw many Saturday U's matches but went to most midweek games.
  • We moved to South Devon in 2000 and have been to most Oxford games in the Southwest having bought my ticket via the OUFC online service eg; Torquay, Exeter, Plymouth, Bristol Rovers and Portsmouth but I have only managed to see a few home games in that time.
  • I've watched the whole 90 minutes of nearly every game on IFollow and its predecessor over the years and pay my £10 to view most games live this season.
  • I went to both recent Wembley finals making a weekend of it despite the disappointments.
So although I don't spend anywhere near as much as a season ticket holder, let alone those who also go to most away games, I'm somewhat miffed that I and others who cannot attend games regularly through various circumstances are regarded as having "no commitment to the club"!
It feels that we are considered so unworthy by some that we shouldn't be aloud to call ourselves a fan of the club!
Part timer.

😉 No I'm joking, exactly what I think our "fanbase" is. In fact, I think season ticket holders only actually do it to save themselves money, those who don't have one have made a conscious decision to pay the club more money for their seat.... 😉

"Scotchegg" reply was;

*allowed FFS!

Not aloud.....
1607104828538.png

"Scotchegg" reply was;

Firstly, well done for following OUFC. Secondly, given that you have replied to my post quoting @Scotchegg, I will take time to respond.
Did I mention "true fan" in my post anywhere? No, I did not so, no call for you to feel belittled in anyway. I referred to the phrase "fan base" as being something that the club can utilise as a basis for offering tickets. If you are a season ticket holder then, as with most, if not all clubs, you are judged to be someone who regularly attends and wishes to do so. You have also pledged in advance a sum of money to the club for the privilege of a regular seat and whatever other benefits the club deems appropriate. That does not make you any less of a fan and never once did I even suggest that. However, it does give the club a base for their offers of tickets to matches not covered by a season ticket. That is also a privilege afforded to season ticket holders. That base is, in my opinion, (please note - my opinion - feel free to hold your own opinion) aptly termed a "fan base" as it quantifies a number of fans who have already, in advance, displayed a desire to attend on a regular basis.
Where you get the phrase "no commitment to the club" from is not attributable to me, nor is the sentiment expressed by yourself that because you cannot attend games regularly you are "considered so unworthy by some that we shouldn't be aloud to call ourselves a fan of the club!" (sic) I never made any such assertion nor would I so please, again, don't cast that aspersion in my direction. Regarding commitment, what I actually said is: "Someone who has identified themselves as a fan and through a commitment to the club, affirms that status" A financial commitment, buying a season ticket, someone who has indicated a desire to watch games on a regular basis (or simply make a donation to the club - it happens) All very straightforward and no slur on anybody else. Please, re-read my post and think it over.

Firstly, well done for following OUFC. Secondly, given that you have replied to my post quoting @Scotchegg, I will take time to respond.
Did I mention "true fan" in my post anywhere? No, I did not so, no call for you to feel belittled in anyway. I referred to the phrase "fan base" as being something that the club can utilise as a basis for offering tickets. If you are a season ticket holder then, as with most, if not all clubs, you are judged to be someone who regularly attends and wishes to do so. You have also pledged in advance a sum of money to the club for the privilege of a regular seat and whatever other benefits the club deems appropriate. That does not make you any less of a fan and never once did I even suggest that. However, it does give the club a base for their offers of tickets to matches not covered by a season ticket. That is also a privilege afforded to season ticket holders. That base is, in my opinion, (please note - my opinion - feel free to hold your own opinion) aptly termed a "fan base" as it quantifies a number of fans who have already, in advance, displayed a desire to attend on a regular basis.
Where you get the phrase "no commitment to the club" from is not attributable to me, nor is the sentiment expressed by yourself that because you cannot attend games regularly you are "considered so unworthy by some that we shouldn't be aloud to call ourselves a fan of the club!" (sic) I never made any such assertion nor would I so please, again, don't cast that aspersion in my direction. Regarding commitment, what I actually said is: "Someone who has identified themselves as a fan and through a commitment to the club, affirms that status" A financial commitment, buying a season ticket, someone who has indicated a desire to watch games on a regular basis (or simply make a donation to the club - it happens) All very straightforward and no slur on anybody else. Please, re-read my post and think it over.
Which is all good. But in my opinion if you state something like 'The "fanbase" IS the season ticket holders', you are leaving yourself open to these rebuttals. I agree 100% that the season ticket holders should be accommodated first on all occasions, as they have put their money up front which basically has given the club a foundation to stand on. But to suggest those who haven't paid for season tickets aren't "the fanbase" is disrespectful. All my opinion of course, and I acknowledge that I'm reading your quote in isolation so there may be more nuance to it than the raw text portrays. I would argue that everyone who posts on here, for instance, is part of the OUFC fanbase, irrespective of ticket status.

Which is all good. But in my opinion if you state something like 'The "fanbase" IS the season ticket holders', you are leaving yourself open to these rebuttals. I agree 100% that the season ticket holders should be accommodated first on all occasions, as they have put their money up front which basically has given the club a foundation to stand on. But to suggest those who haven't paid for season tickets aren't "the fanbase" is disrespectful. All my opinion of course, and I acknowledge that I'm reading your quote in isolation so there may be more nuance to it than the raw text portrays. I would argue that everyone who posts on here, for instance, is part of the OUFC fanbase, irrespective of ticket status.
Disagree, for games that aren't included in the ST package all parts of the fanbase should have an equal opportunity to buy tickets with no preference given. ST holders have paid upfront for league games only.

This is especially pertinent this season with the limited attendances and the Papa John's game on Tuesday. If we lose we're out and that would mean no opportunity for non ST holders to watch a game live until the restrictions are lifted passed 4k and that could be a very long time.

Disagree, for games that aren't included in the ST package all parts of the fanbase should have an equal opportunity to buy tickets with no preference given. ST holders have paid upfront for league games only.

This is especially pertinent this season with the limited attendances and the Papa John's game on Tuesday. If we lose we're out and that would mean no opportunity for non ST holders to watch a game live until the restrictions are lifted passed 4k and that could be a very long time.
But season ticket holders have always had priority over tickets not covered by the season ticket, for example FA Cup matches. It is one of the benefits to getting one, and that should absolutely remain the case in normal times. You could argue for this season maybe it could be waived for this trophy, which I'd have no issues with.

The thing I like about season ticket holders and by the way without them where would the club be BUT some of them live in the clouds just because not every oufc fan had a season ticket doesn’t mean they are not true fans it could just mean they’re not in a financial position to spend that amount of money when they could need it for something else BUT anyway how many of the so called real fans (season ticket holders) go to the P**s pot trophy games how many go to the non glamorous other cup games for me those are the real die hard fans the true life and blood of oufc imo

Plenty of tickets left for Tuesday evening, if you want one. All parts of the ground are showing availability. Going on open sale from tomorrow, I believe.

Back
Top Bottom