Non-League Southend: When Will The Agony End ?

Southend at it again, their court case has been adjourned until July 12 to allow more time for the sale of the club. Non-playing staff haven't been paid for the last 2 months.

I wonder if the Conference will have to relegate them if not sorted out by the AGM as Southend have to be able to confirm they are solvent and able to complete the new season by then. So Torquay could be reprieved in the AGM Cup yet.

I'll never forget the day they gave us a footballing lesson in what is known as The Championship, the Ricky Otto game. 4-0 at half-time, ending up Southend 5 Oxford 1. Not seen an Oxford team blown away quite like in that first half.

Hopefully something can be sorted and the club start to rebuild and get back to somewhere near where they should be.

Looks like they've been given a further 42 days to pay off the debt / find a buyer

So unfair on the fans- the owners who have let it get to this state should be deeply ashamed
One bloke I think - Ron Martin - who has owned the club since 2000 and overseen all manner of financial crises, watching the team slip down the leagues while talking about a new ground. Not sure he has any shame.

One bloke I think - Ron Martin - who has owned the club since 2000 and overseen all manner of financial crises, watching the team slip down the leagues while talking about a new ground. Not sure he has any shame.
I remember speaking to Ron Martin, in the Boardroom at Roots Hall, when we last played them about 4 years ago.

I was talking with a couple of their other Directors about their new stadium plans, and what we were proposing, when one of them called Martin over, as I'd asked them a couple of questions about their stadium that they weren't sure of. He was unbelievably shifty and evasive once it became apparent that I knew what I was talking about (a good friend of mine was a partner at their architects, so he couldn't bullshit me) after initially being very arrogant in his demeanour. He cut the conversation short and walked off abruptly after I asked him a couple of detailed, but not particularly intrusive, questions about their stadium project.

He was one of those blokes who I took an instant dislike to and wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.

Yup. Due back in court on 23rd August

There's a non-zero chance that they'll be chucked out of the National League because of this adjournment.
If they are in danger of getting wound up on 23rd August then the National League may not want to let them start the season (learning their lesson from Chester robbing Beano of his 100 goals!). I believe they're meeting to decide tomorrow.

Yet another horrible situation of a good, solid club being gutted by a terrible owner. Always enjoyed a trip to Roots Hall.....even if we very rarely won......

This seems like it has been going on for donkeys years, the unpaid bills and supposed new ground, you have to wonder what Martins plans and what he was/has been getting out of this?

Really feel for the Southend fans. I went along to watch them against Wrexham and stood in the away end with them. A brilliant fan base who didn’t stop singing!
I hope for their sake that they survive but Ron Martin is a massive problem at that club and certainly someone who should never be allowed near another football club.

I'll never forget the day they gave us a footballing lesson in what is known as The Championship, the Ricky Otto game. 4-0 at half-time, ending up Southend 5 Oxford 1. Not seen an Oxford team blown away quite like in that first half.

Hopefully something can be sorted and the club start to rebuild and get back to somewhere near where they should be.
Ended up 6-1 !!!
Almost left at half time but being foolish and young didn't and watched till the bitter end.
Tommy Mooney also starred for them that day !

Wigan springs to mind

Back
Top Bottom