Matches Stop Knocking the Supporters Rosie.

A couple of things.
It's questionable whether Rosie should even be on R Ox commentary. He is a club employee and without doubt very biased and won't hear anything remotely negative about the club or the way we are playing.
TBH I've met Rosie a few times and he's better than being critical of fans. Maybe he feels a sense of duty.
Also, in 20/21 we made the play-offs with no fans in attendance the whole season. So for me it says more about the way we play than any major influence the crowd may have. It virtually proves it.

Rosie works for the club, but he is also a fan and has given 40 years of his life to Oxford United. And during that time he has often gone above and beyond his job description for the benefit of fans and the club.

During the initial covid lockdown he was checking in with older and vulnerable fans pretty much every day, and has done so much through all areas of the community.

So he is very much entitled to his opinion. And its an opinion that 90% of people share on here. The atmosphere has been shocking for a few years now. The Robinson years at least had passion (make up your own jokes!) This sometimes had a big highs from cup games or last minute winners, or the big lows of the last days of his regime. But since then you barely get a murmur despite us being in and around the playoffs all season.

That sits with all of us, and we need to change it.

4 home games to go (or hopefully 5) and we need to give everything on and off the pitch if we are going to get anything from this season.

A couple of things.
It's questionable whether Rosie should even be on R Ox commentary. He is a club employee and without doubt very biased and won't hear anything remotely negative about the club or the way we are playing.
TBH I've met Rosie a few times and he's better than being critical of fans. Maybe he feels a sense of duty.
Also, in 20/21 we made the play-offs with no fans in attendance the whole season. So for me it says more about the way we play than any major influence the crowd may have. It virtually proves it.
I don't think there's any problem with him being on Radox while being a club employee. It's not like it is being concealed or anything. There are biases and conflicts with everyone, and I think that's fine. It is when it is hidden and used for coercive purposes that it's actually a problem.
Imagine how much further from the club the supporter base would be if OUFC employees couldn't talk about OUFC on the radio ...

• React
Reactions: m
A couple of things.

I may be wrong but during the Covid results showed that home advantage was reduced. Surely that shows in general larger numbers of home supporters has a positive effect on the home team.

I may be wrong but during the Covid results showed that home advantage was reduced. Surely that shows in general larger numbers of home supporters has a positive effect on the home team.
Our home record in 20/21 was
W 13 D4 L6 F 39 A 21
This season so far is
W 9 D6 L4 F 34 A 22
So with four home games left we would have to win three and draw one to match it. Which looking at the fixtures will be tough but doable.
So very similar but maybe just a bit under.
So as it stands I don't see that crowds are a huge influence.
We have drawn or lost 10 at home so far this season the same as the whole of 20/21.

Our home record in 20/21 was
W 13 D4 L6 F 39 A 21
This season so far is
W 9 D6 L4 F 34 A 22
So with four home games left we would have to win three and draw one to match it. Which looking at the fixtures will be tough but doable.
So very similar but maybe just a bit under.
So as it stands I don't see that crowds are a huge influence.
We have drawn or lost 10 at home so far this season the same as the whole of 20/21.

I was talking about results in general during Covid including all other clubs.

Happy to be proven wrong but that was my impression during Covid.

The atmosphere home and away has got worse over the last 18 months.
We don’t seem to have a group of fans who actively try and get songs going.
At games at Morecambe and Barnsley we had a group who were more interested in just taking the P**s out of their pissed up mate than what was going on, on the pitch.
Wigan away this season, 600 away fans but hardly a peep for 90 minutes.

I have to say that I am uneasy about the whole 'one of the reasons the team isn't producing is because the crowd is quiet' narrative, which seems to have been being put out by the club and rather embraced by RadOx (with the honourable exception of Nick Harris, who was independent enough to disagree the other week). There have been times recently when the crowd has been fairly noisy (for us at least!) at the start - but it is bloody difficult to keep that going for a substantial period when there is very little happening on the pitch. If that narrative was correct, surely the team would have started those games on the front foot, when the noise was loudest? They didn't. We are football supporters who react to what is happening on the pitch - we are not a glee club who turn up to sing and occasionally watch a bit of football.

Has the atmosphere declined over the last 18 months? Probably. That strangely coincides with KR's very poor last season, the pretty dull but somehow effective Manning months and the equally dull but less effective Des period up until now. I can't help thinking it is a cumulative effect (and add in the rather odd communication strategy the club has adopted). We *can* make a noise - we did last Saturday when the team finally woke up at the end of the match. If they give us something (anything!) to get behind, we will get behind them.

Finally, when there was the best club/supporter relationship (the summer away trip, the start of the ultras etc) the atmosphere was the best it has been for years. Get rid of the Ultras, stop the summer bonding stuff, foster a 'them and us' atmosphere, add in the unattractive football and poor results and this is what you get.

I have to say that I am uneasy about the whole 'one of the reasons the team isn't producing is because the crowd is quiet' narrative, which seems to have been being put out by the club and rather embraced by RadOx (with the honourable exception of Nick Harris, who was independent enough to disagree the other week). There have been times recently when the crowd has been fairly noisy (for us at least!) at the start - but it is bloody difficult to keep that going for a substantial period when there is very little happening on the pitch. If that narrative was correct, surely the team would have started those games on the front foot, when the noise was loudest? They didn't. We are football supporters who react to what is happening on the pitch - we are not a glee club who turn up to sing and occasionally watch a bit of football.

Has the atmosphere declined over the last 18 months? Probably. That strangely coincides with KR's very poor last season, the pretty dull but somehow effective Manning months and the equally dull but less effective Des period up until now. I can't help thinking it is a cumulative effect (and add in the rather odd communication strategy the club has adopted). We *can* make a noise - we did last Saturday when the team finally woke up at the end of the match. If they give us something (anything!) to get behind, we will get behind them.

Finally, when there was the best club/supporter relationship (the summer away trip, the start of the ultras etc) the atmosphere was the best it has been for years. Get rid of the Ultras, stop the summer bonding stuff, foster a 'them and us' atmosphere, add in the unattractive football and poor results and this is what you get.

It does seem like an excuse that the club are happy to put out there for a drop off in performances, not sure that is healthy for a football team myself.

Absolutely this, it has been an accumulation of Factors the poor atmosphere. cannot accept the poor very poor performances are the fans fault. You do wonder how the likes of Kidlington, Didcot and the like manage to motivate themselves every week without having loads singing fans behind them.

great post ^^

There are lots of ideas and discussion around atmosphere on this forum.
Some of you might like to participate in this fan-led discussion set up by the Yellow Army for tomorrow.

Wednesday evening, 7.30pm-8.30pm, an online discussion around improving the atmosphere/environment/connection with the club and players.

To be part of the discussion or to share ideas, email fans@yellowarmyoufc.co.uk

There are lots of ideas and discussion around atmosphere on this forum.
Some of you might like to participate in this fan-led discussion set up by the Yellow Army for tomorrow.

Wednesday evening, 7.30pm-8.30pm, an online discussion around improving the atmosphere/environment/connection with the club and players.

To be part of the discussion or to share ideas, email fans@yellowarmyoufc.co.uk
Think you might find that is a one way traffic of going on winning runs might help

Back
Top Bottom