Matches Top 6 Race 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
And they had one cleared off the line at the end of the first half.

Let's not pretend Fleetweed didn't have any chances, because they did - at least three half way decent ones. We had many more and were better at putting them in the net, even if we needed a couple of deflections!

Some caller said the very same yesterday on the phone-in.

The Phone-In is only worth listening to that Tim bloke and Matt from Liverpool. The rest I reckon RO phone up and beg to contribute and more often than not, they're enjoyable to listen to whilst sat in the traffic on the ring road.

PRB is that Tim bloke, but maybe you knew that 😉.

Not sure it’s relevant to our top 6 race. But Pompey 2-1 down vs Derby at home.

Derby claiming 2nd early on might mean Bolton start to drop off and they could still easily finish 4th if they do.

And they had one cleared off the line at the end of the first half.

Let's not pretend Fleetweed didn't have any chances, because they did - at least three half way decent ones. We had many more and were better at putting them in the net, even if we needed a couple of deflections!
This is the nature of L1 football isn’t it? Even in as dominant a performance as yesterday, the weaker team will always get a few chances that can swing a result. I remember Carlisle were appalling when we played there, but could have nicked a draw in the second half.

It’s really rare teams go and win 6 or 7 in a row at our level, regardless of how good a side they might be. It only takes an unlucky break, a half chance being taken, a bad refereeing call to even out any gap in quality. Lincoln are on a crazy run, but hopefully they’re due one or two of those days.

The simple fact is, like Cam said, we’ve got 5 cup finals now and every game is massive. I believe it’s in our own hands whether we make the playoffs, as it looks more likely that we are up against 2 teams in Lincoln and Stevenage now and we have to play them both, but we have the home advantage. We should never be in this position after the start we had to the season, but it is what it is and now we have to finish the job and get in those playoffs and then once you get in the playoffs anything can happen.
It’s also in Lincoln’s hands, but the good thing (hopefully), is we’ve got them at home or should I just say we’ve got to play them. If we didn’t then we would need to rely on someone else. Also other teams still have a chance e.g. Blackpool, Stevenage and Orient (at a push!)

Leyton Orient are surely out of it. They can get a maximum of 73 points, and have an appalling goal difference.

I didn’t see Pompeys second equaliser but the first three goals were superb finishes.

Portsmouth’s second was the best strike of the night. Have to say the gulf between what those two teams produced on the night and ourselves is pretty concerning.

Portsmouth’s second was the best strike of the night. Have to say the gulf between what those two teams produced on the night and ourselves is pretty concerning.

That was my thinking too. As much as I want us to get to the play offs there is just no way I see us winning them. Obviously, never say never and it's not as though it can't happen but last night they both looked streets ahead of where we currently are. People will say we outplayed Pompey at theirs a few weeks back but the long and short of it is they still beat us and that's what promotion teams do - often ride their luck and somehow eke out a win. As well as looking technically inferior, I don't think we have that street wisdom or game management to get past any of the top 5 over three games, or at least two.

It’s also in Lincoln’s hands, but the good thing (hopefully), is we’ve got them at home or should I just say we’ve got to play them. If we didn’t then we would need to rely on someone else. Also other teams still have a chance e.g. Blackpool, Stevenage and Orient (at a push!)

If we get to the Lincoln game still on equal points or trailing by just a point, Lincoln will not only have away disadvantage but will also have 6th position to protect, which may just make them more cautious/protective of what they have, whereas we will just have to throw everything at it.

This little psychological difference may just be enough.

This is the nature of L1 football isn’t it? Even in as dominant a performance as yesterday, the weaker team will always get a few chances that can swing a result.
Yes, I agree. I was responding to the idea that Fleetwood only had one good chance.

That was my thinking too. As much as I want us to get to the play offs there is just no way I see us winning them. Obviously, never say never and it's not as though it can't happen but last night they both looked streets ahead of where we currently are. People will say we outplayed Pompey at theirs a few weeks back but the long and short of it is they still beat us and that's what promotion teams do - often ride their luck and somehow eke out a win. As well as looking technically inferior, I don't think we have that street wisdom or game management to get past any of the top 5 over three games, or at least two.
Dunno if we are techinically inferior, we just aren’t as organised and don’t have the power they both do. That’s what we lack. A enforcer type, it’s what we dearly need in the summer

If we get to the Lincoln game still on equal points or trailing by just a point, Lincoln will not only have away disadvantage but will also have 6th position to protect, which may just make them more cautious/protective of what they have, whereas we will just have to throw everything at it.

This little psychological difference may just be enough.
Might be pressure/expectancy on us as we’re at home!!

Let’s just hope that it’s in our hands on the last day of the season against Exeter or even better, we’ve secured our play off place already and we can just go there and enjoy ourselves!!

Dunno if we are techinically inferior, we just aren’t as organised and don’t have the power they both do. That’s what we lack. A enforcer type, it’s what we dearly need in the summer
That’ll be the key signing this summer - a midfielder that can add some physicality and agility but is still technically good enough on the ball to not undermine how we want to play. Not many of those knocking around L1 - such a shame McGuane hasn’t maintained his form this season.

That’ll be the key signing this summer - a midfielder that can add some physicality and agility but is still technically good enough on the ball to not undermine how we want to play. Not many of those knocking around L1 - such a shame McGuane hasn’t maintained his form this season.
Sounds a bit like Oisin Smyth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom