Matches Top 6 Race 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Missing out on the automatics right at the end can have a really negative effect for some teams so hopefully that if we make it to 6th then that is the case whoever it is.
The way things have worked out if we get in the play offs we will go in on a high that's for sure and not with high expectations.

Our last 4 games are against sides in the current top half (top 12).

Our current record versus sides in the top half (top 12) under Buckingham:

Played: 11
Won: 0
Draws: 4
Losses: 7

Two of those draws were at home against Portsmouth and Bolton, two of the best sides in the league. And we were 2-0 up against Derby in no time at all.

Based on BROSSSOAC*, I’d say that stands us in excellent stead for games against sides nowhere as good as them.

*BillyTurleysCurlyWurly’s Rule of Specific Stats Stripped of all Context

Two of those draws were at home against Portsmouth and Bolton, two of the best sides in the league. And we were 2-0 up against Derby in no time at all.

Based on BROSSSOAC*, I’d say that stands us in excellent stead for games against sides nowhere as good as them.

*BillyTurleysCurlyWurly’s Rule of Specific Stats Stripped of all Context
It’s all about form at this stage of the season Brian. If we get into the playoffs then it’s on!!

Missing out on the automatics right at the end can have a really negative effect for some teams so hopefully that if we make it to 6th then that is the case whoever it is.
Pretty sure I saw a stat that the team who finishes in the top playoff spot often tend to miss out on promotion in the end. I suspect this is why.

Our last 4 games are against sides in the current top half (top 12).

Our current record versus sides in the top half (top 12) under Buckingham:

Played: 11
Won: 0
Draws: 4
Losses: 7

Still a long long way to go!

Blackpool and Stevenage could well be back in in tomorrow night with their games
I knew it was bad but not a single win??? Wow!

I knew it was bad but not a single win??? Wow!
On the way to the game on Saturday I was listening to 5Live and I'm sure I heard Ali from 'Not The Top 20' podcast say that Portsmouth had not lost to a team in the top 10. They may not be a great team but that does show incredible resilience and the ability to step up when needed.

Last edited:
On the way to the game on Saturday I was listening to 5Live and I'm sure I heard Ali from 'Not The Top 20' podcast say that Portsouth had not lost to a team in the top 10. They may not be a great team but that does show incredible resilience and the ability to step up when needed.
I knew they had good results against the better sides but didn't realise it was that impressive. Interestingly, I wouldn't actually say Pompey are that good a team. Nowhere near the level of a Plymouth or Wednesday from last season for example. Is it a mentality/mindset thing?

I knew they had good results against the better sides but didn't realise it was that impressive. Interestingly, I wouldn't actually say Pompey are that good a team. Nowhere near the level of a Plymouth or Wednesday from last season for example. Is it a mentality/mindset thing?
Had the same debate elsewhere, I think Plymouth and Ipswich were actually really good, well coached footballing teams but Wednesday sneaked through by simply having a handful of class acts at this level. Pompey haven't been at that Ipswich/Plymouth standard but are well organised, have a good squad and Mousinho has seemingly taken a very pragmatic approach. As you say they have been very strong mentally - they regularly come back from losing positions and they haven't needed to be great, just good enough!

surely deserves a midweek thread?
Blackpool 1-0 Fleetwood
Stevenage 1 - 1 Barnsley

surely deserves a midweek thread?
Blackpool 1-0 Fleetwood
Stevenage 1 - 1 Barnsley

I can't decide what result at Stevenage would be best for us. They win and they're only 3 points behind us albeit played a game more, a draw they would be 5 points behind us, a loss and they would be 6 points behind and possibly out of the race with only 3 games left. But if Barnsley win they will be 7 points ahead of us and no chance of overtaking them.

Blackpool beating Fleetwood was a given so they will only be 3 points behind us albeit have played a game more than us.

Why did they not move the Lincoln game to tonight ? 😣

I can't decide what result at Stevenage would be best for us. They win and they're only 3 points behind us albeit played a game more, a draw they would be 5 points behind us, a loss and they would be 6 points behind and possibly out of the race with only 3 games left. But if Barnsley win they will be 7 points ahead of us and no chance of overtaking them.

Blackpool beating Fleetwood was a given so they will only be 3 points behind us albeit have played a game more than us.

Why did they not move the Lincoln game to tonight ? 😣
if Stevenage catch us that will mean we drop points and presumably someone like Lincoln gains

If we beat Stevenage I think we need just five points from three matches to finish sixth…if my maths is correct

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom