Matches Top 6 Race 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s weird in football terms that pundits, managers, fans etc say ‘it’s been a good week’ if they pick up results Saturday, midweek, Saturday. A week is 7 days but thats 8 days. Why do you think they say that?
For someone who has watched so much football and so much knowledge, you do tend to ask a lot of questions about the sport.

In the incredibly unlikely event that we somehow sneak into the playoffs, I'd fully expect any of the other contenders to absolutely hammer us over two legs.

Our chances of promotion are zero percent!
Wouldn’t expect Barnsley to hammer us the way they are playing! As might be two spots up for grabs with their run in.

Can't remember 3 home game's in a row in 6 / 7 days . Years ago it was normal at Christmas, the fixture list was congested around December/ January. Plus it was always local derby time.Screenshot_2024-04-10-07-51-33-25_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpgScreenshot_2024-04-10-07-54-42-28_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpgScreenshot_2024-04-10-08-04-29-25_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

The same reason Harry Kane referred to Bayern's 2-2 draw at Arsenal in the Champion's League last night as a "good away point".

They're simply not the sharpest knives in the drawer at times🤷‍♂️
Or like when people used to say that ‘away goals count double’ in European ties!

We are a better team than when we were taught a lesson at Peterborough earlier in the season......
Beat Peterborough on Saturday, plus Lincoln on Tuesday then we will jump above Barnsley and finish the season in 5th place then only Peterborough again will stand in our way in a trip to play Bolton Wanderers at Wembley
Peterborough didn’t seem all that against Wycombe at Wembley, although I accept that’s a bit different. They conceded chances and both of their goals were due to errors from the Wycombe keeper…

That Barnsley result feels big. Stevenage in rotten form beating them, and now they have Reading, Blackpool away, Pompey away and Northampton. If they lost on Saturday, they could easily end up on 77/78 or less with an inferior GD to us.

Not sure Blackpool beating Fleetwood 1-0 suggests they’ll win their next 3 but even if they did, 76 probably won’t be enough this year. Every game already a must win for Stevenage as well in the same boat.

8 points and we’ll make the playoffs, possibly in 5th as well.

Would actually be happy with a point Saturday then set up the Lincoln and Steveage game for two big wins .
Obviously would prefer all three but unlikely to happen , three home games in a week will tough going to get all three results .
Leave us going to Exeter needing a point would be ideal .

Would actually be happy with a point Saturday then set up the Lincoln and Steveage game for two big wins .
Obviously would prefer all three but unlikely to happen , three home games in a week will tough going to get all three results .
Leave us going to Exeter needing a point would be ideal .
I think Lincoln will beat Wigan, especially as they're at home. If we fail to beat Peterborough that would put a lot of pressure on us on Tuesday, especially with an expectant home crowd. It concerns me it's a pressure the team will struggle to handle.

Big if, but if Peterborough drop points tonight, and we beat them Saturday, then all of a sudden they can get reigned in too. Their run in obviously includes us, as well as Bolton, but the other four matches looked comfortable. In a nutshell of the teams above, we need Pompey to drop points to have something on that last Lincoln fixture, Bolton to keep going and needing something meaningful at Posh last day, Barnsley to drop points anywhere. We know what we have to do and what’s below us.

I think Lincoln will beat Wigan, especially as they're at home. If we fail to beat Peterborough that would put a lot of pressure on us on Tuesday, especially with an expectant home crowd. It concerns me it's a pressure the team will struggle to handle.

Well, that’s the $64,000 question - can we handle it? Can we execute the game plan? Like you, I’m sceptical, but that’s based on the 25 game mess Des has overseen prior to this mini run we are on. There’s hope though!

There’s hope though!

Of course there is. You and a handful of others are quick to downplay everything we do, but the simple facts are that no results are guaranteed for anyone right now.

Peterborough recently lost to Carlisle at home. Barnsley are in awful form. Lincoln dropped points against Reading. Stevenage before last night hadn't won since February.

Our form under Des hasn't been great, but the fact that we're still sat in 6th shows that no one else has been much better either.

I'm not saying that our games are going to be easy, or that there isn't huge pressure on them, but that applies to everyone. And we have the advantage of knowing that the outcome is entirely in our hands.

We have to hope, and if we can't do that at this stage then I genuinely wonder why anyone would bother watching football.

It's great to still have something to play for at this stage of the season.

The remaining games are extremely difficult, surely the most difficult run in in the league?

Let's get behind the lads and see what happens!

Definitely the toughest run in but compensated by the three hardest games all being at home. If we had to travel to any two of those three, at this stage, I wouldn’t be fancying our chances. If we can beat Peterborough that would be one hell of a marker for the next two.

Of course there is. You and a handful of others are quick to downplay everything we do, but the simple facts are that no results are guaranteed for anyone right now.

Peterborough recently lost to Carlisle at home. Barnsley are in awful form. Lincoln dropped points against Reading. Stevenage before last night hadn't won since February.

Our form under Des hasn't been great, but the fact that we're still sat in 6th shows that no one else has been much better either.

I'm not saying that our games are going to be easy, or that there isn't huge pressure on them, but that applies to everyone. And we have the advantage of knowing that the outcome is entirely in our hands.

We have to hope, and if we can't do that at this stage then I genuinely wonder why anyone would bother watching football.

I down play it when we are crap, yes. I’ve been very positive these last few weeks as not just results, but performances too, have been markedly improved. Isn’t that just a natural reaction? I’m not sure why you don’t think I enjoy football? I’m looking forward to next week like never before, can’t wait. You defend everything, fine, that’s your choice. I tend to be a bit more realistic and honest, my choice.

Let’s hope we are all of the same positive view this time next week!

How many points will be enough from the next four games to get in the playoffs? I reckon 8 with 7 if we are lucky. That’s a good run from a tough run of 4 games, if we took at 8 points from this run of fixtures at any other time of the season I would be very happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom