Matches Top 6 Race 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Draw would be a good result. High scoring draw would show we can go toe to toe with the free-scorers in the playoffs. Low scoring draw would show we can keep one of the best free scoring teams in the division under control.

What is essential is that we're disciplined in our shape, especially when getting back into that tight shape quickly when transitioning from attack to defence. We just can't allow them space to exploit on the ball in the final third.
Peterborough haven’t drawn a game since 27/01. Most of their games in 2024 have seen them concede 1 goal but often 2-1 results.

They’ve scored 43 and conceded 31 in 2024. They don’t often score freely as they’ve done in the past.

We’ve started to find the net with confidence recently, I think a low-scoring draw is statistically out of the question.

I’ll hedge my bets and go for a 2-1 home win.

Under Buckingham we have IMO looked better when we are playing on the front foot. It *feels* as if the number of games that we have failed to win after taking the lead and becoming more defensive has been a feature of the season (although I don't have any stats to back that up!) - and I don't think that is an approach we can take against Peterborough, who themselves are better in attack than defence. We need to be playing attacking football for as much of the game as we can.
I think you’re absolutely right.

Even when winning 4-0 in those two games recently we conceded chances, and I just don’t think we can stop Peterborough having chances and probably scoring a goal, maybe even two.

What I am confident of though is if we have our brilliant wingers getting at them down the flanks and Goodrham and Rodrigues getting forwards and finding space, linking up with Harris, we can score maybe two or three goals - and at least match what they do.

Their defence is certainly their weak spot. Always has been.

Going forward they’re the best attacking side in the league.

Mason Clark & Poku are the best two wide players in the league. We have to keep them quiet.
From our visit to Peterborough, watching the Wycombe game and some highlights from last night, we need to be on top of the excellent Harrison Burrows at wing back on the left hand side. Although both goals on Sunday would have been stopped by a better keeper, I believe he has half a dozen league goals and thirteen or so assists. We'll need Murphy and Dale to work hard and hopefully exploit the gaps beyond the wing backs, driving them deeper in the process.

I would think Burrows will be playing Championship football next season, what ever the outcome of the next few weeks.

A genuine question to @RyanioBirdio . Earlier on in the season you were saying you weren't enjoying anything to do with the club of the football. I may be mischaracterising what you said but I think you felt the club was on a downward trajectory and the on field performance combined with the challenges over the new ground were getting you down. Do you still feel that way or has the potential play off place got your juices flowing again? Hoping for the latter mate.

Peterborough haven’t drawn a game since 27/01. Most of their games in 2024 have seen them concede 1 goal but often 2-1 results.

They’ve scored 43 and conceded 31 in 2024. They don’t often score freely as they’ve done in the past.

We’ve started to find the net with confidence recently, I think a low-scoring draw is statistically out of the question.

I’ll hedge my bets and go for a 2-1 home win.
I don't think you/we can truly judge us in terms of us finding the net with confidence etc based upon our recent games, against let's say, easier opposition. The last time we played a decent team (Bolton) we got stuffed with no return. If we score goals against the better teams, starting with Peterborough on Saturday, then we might have turned a corner, so let's just see.

Last edited:
Also, the sceptic in me says Peterborough might see us as the weakest team vying for that 6th spot and in that respect prefer to see us as potential opponents in any future play off game. That being the case, maybe they might just take their foot off the gas.
Absolutely no chance that Peterborough do anything other than go all out for second IMO

Really excited about this weekend and there will be plenty of twists to come, people seem to have given Derby second place and while they're favourites I wouldn't be at all surprised if Bolton caught them.

Peterborough will likely be out toughest test, Stevenage are wobbling despite beating Barnsley and I'm still not convinced by Lincoln despite going on an absolutely mental run, can't help but feel their luck will run out at some point. Peterborough have the potential to blow teams away but can also chuck in some shocking results, hopefully we're on it and can stop their wide men in particular.

For all the doom about our record against the top teams (and it is poor, no question) we thoroughly deserved a point against Bolton and Pompey at home and battered Pompey away so it's not simply a case play a good team and we're certain to lose. The last few results have been promising but this will be a big step up in class and I'm finding it hard to say which way it'll go.

A four game mini season with 4 teams in with a shot of 1 place, or potentially 5 into 2 if Barnsley keep going as they are. This is what it should all be about, bring it on.

Stevenage could be out of the race by the time we play them but Fat Boy Evan’s isn’t going to let them step off it and will want to do us live on TV.
This weekend is tough but Peterborough aren’t Real Madrid. They are beatable and inconsistent. They have had a good week so far but how much has it taken out of their players?
A draw wouldn’t be a bad result at all and even a defeat isn’t, it just means we have to win on Tuesday!

A draw wouldn’t be a bad result at all and even a defeat isn’t, it just means we have to win on Tuesday!
A defeat is definitely a bad result no matter which way you split it. Not season ending but could easily put us 8th by 5pm tomorrow and level on points with 9th.

It would still be in our hands but leaves pretty much no margin for error at all and another defeat is likely curtains. I make us favourites currently but I doubt that would be the case if we lose tomorrow, plus I'd like to see that out new system can cope with a team with the attacking threat and pace of Peterborough if we play it.

A defeat is definitely a bad result no matter which way you split it. Not season ending but could easily put us 8th by 5pm tomorrow and level on points with 9th.

It would still be in our hands but leaves pretty much no margin for error at all and another defeat is likely curtains. I make us favourites currently but I doubt that would be the case if we lose tomorrow, plus I'd like to see that out new system can cope with a team with the attacking threat and pace of Peterborough if we play it.
A defeat would not only harm our points total potential; more importantly it would dent our self-belief and confidence that we can match the best clubs in the league. And the supporters too.
Unfortunately I think Boro will be too good. We’ll play well but our defence will be shown up against a speedy efficient attack. 1-2. From here on in it’s an uphill task. Home to Lincoln will be key.

If we win tomorrow we get play-offs imo. Confidence sky rockets and all pressure on Lincoln on Tuesday. A draw or loss and my confidence drops. I think Lincoln will win tomorrow.

20240413_190046.jpg

Now filling THAT column was very satisfying indeed!!

Ridiculous that we have almost caught up with what had seemed an insurmountable goal difference gap between us and Lincoln! I'm starting to really believe now. Could do with Blackpool dropping points, just to settle my ticker!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom