Matches Top 6 Race 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oxford v Stevenage

Blackpool v Barnsley

Cheltenham v Lincoln

Huge advantage playing Friday I think. We can really put the pressure on

I think that we just have to win on Friday.
So do that and in all likelihood, we will need to either match Lincolns score on the last day ( or maybe Barnsleys if they lose to Blackpool)

I'm usually fairly un-confident on here, don't like getting my hopes up! But am I the only one that can't see a world in which we don't get play-offs?

2 points ahead with 2 games to go against teams who have absolutely nothing to play for, while Lincoln have a team fighting to stay up and the league winners. Their games are undoubtedly more difficult than ours, can anyone genuinely see them getting 6 points from those fixtures? Get 4 points from ours and we've done it.

If we don't get playoffs then it can only be seen as a huge failure.

We will get in the play offs, but we will lose comfortably in them. Every time we come up against a well drilled side we look lost.

We will get in the play offs, but we will lose comfortably in them. Every time we come up against a well drilled side we look lost.

Except we didn't look lost in the first half yesterday, and if we had taken one of our chances and gone a goal up then it would have been Lincoln who would have had to try a different game plan.

We also ripped Peterborough apart only a couple of days ago, and could quite conceivably play them in the semi with a Wembley final a complete one-off regardless of who we play.

If we don't get playoffs then it can only be seen as a huge failure.
From where we currently sit with two games to go, it would be a failure to capitalise on what we have achieved over the last 4-5 games but the season overall would be a huge disappointment more than anything. We now have the proof that we can actually be a force in this division and if Des had had the courage of his convictions without needing his Damascus Moment, we would be comfortably nestled in those playoffs right now.

Win or lose, going up or staying down, the right additions over the summer can only increase the aspirations for next season and as soon as this one ends, I will start looking forward to the next one with a lot more optimism than I had just a few weeks ago.

From where we currently sit with two games to go, it would be a failure to capitalise on what we have achieved over the last 4-5 games but the season overall would be a huge disappointment more than anything. We now have the proof that we can actually be a force in this division and if Des had had the courage of his convictions without needing his Damascus Moment, we would be comfortably nestled in those playoffs right now.

Win or lose, going up or staying down, the right additions over the summer can only increase the aspirations for next season and as soon as this one ends, I will start looking forward to the next one with a lot more optimism than I had just a few weeks ago.
We had proof we could be a force based on the first 15 games! I don't see how not getting playoffs can be seen as anything but a huge failure. It's been a season of missed opportunity. As you say, a bit of courage and we wouldn't even need to have this conversation - we'd have been looking forward to playoffs weeks ago.

We will get them, I'm fairly confident of that, but whether we have the resolve to handle the pressure of the playoffs I'm not so sure.

I don't know what's better, having another failed playoff campaign or just missing out all together!

I don't know what's better, having another failed playoff campaign or just missing out all together!
Seriously? What supporters would suggest that they don't want to get into the play offs.
Of course we want to get into the play offs. I am.not sure how many you have followed since they began, but regularly there are big shocks and surprises in the play offs. The most extreme probably was Huddersfield winning promotion to the PL without scoring a goal.
If we get there we have a chance, however slim ( and against Peterborough and Barnsley we must have a shout).
3 out of 4 sides will fail in.the play offs, but offer them now and 99% would want to get into them.

The real problem in the play offs if we reach them and irrespective of who we play, is we will have to play 2 games in 4 days. As the Posh/Lincoln experience showed, we really struggle to put 2 good high energy performances together in a short space of time. I think Stevenage is going to be a major test for the same reason.

Its a mini league to make a play off, we will have to have a decent amount of luck over the potential next 5 games to get up from here. But if you don't buy a lottery ticket you can't win the lottery so we need to just take it one game at a time, shouldn't even be thinking about Exeter at the moment let alone past that the play offs, all that matters is Stevenage on Friday night for now.

The real problem in the play offs if we reach them and irrespective of who we play, is we will have to play 2 games in 4 days. As the Posh/Lincoln experience showed, we really struggle to put 2 good high energy performances together in a short space of time. I think Stevenage is going to be a major test for the same reason.
I’m not sure it was an energy issue last night, as much as not having a Plan B when it comes to playing a well organised side that’s been very well set-up to negate our strengths.

I’m delighted that we now seem to have a very clear Plan A (this is huge progress from Des’ early months) and that the intensity of it completely overwhelmed a genuine promotion challenger on Saturday, as well as a couple of others too. We could really have done with Goodwin and Matete staying fit though, and having some bite in midfield and a physical presence up front for the second half last night. That lack of Plan B might be an issue if we played Bolton or Lincoln in the playoffs.

Stevenage will be a challenge fatigue-wise I’m sure but hopefully we can make a few changes without impacting the quality of the first XI too much.

• React
Reactions: Nox
Seriously? What supporters would suggest that they don't want to get into the play offs.
Of course we want to get into the play offs. I am.not sure how many you have followed since they began, but regularly there are big shocks and surprises in the play offs. The most extreme probably was Huddersfield winning promotion to the PL without scoring a goal.
If we get there we have a chance, however slim ( and against Peterborough and Barnsley we must have a shout).
3 out of 4 sides will fail in.the play offs, but offer them now and 99% would want to get into them.
Never said I didn't want to get playoffs, just said I wasn't sure what's better... Another failed playoff campaign would be hugely disappointing, as would missing out completely!

As I say, I'm confident we will get them it's just whether we have the bottle after that. Other than the tonking of Posh, we've always looked lacklustre under pressure under Des. Last night showed that.

Never said I didn't want to get playoffs, just said I wasn't sure what's better... Another failed playoff campaign would be hugely disappointing, as would missing out completely!

As I say, I'm confident we will get them it's just whether we have the bottle after that. Other than the tonking of Posh, we've always looked lacklustre under pressure under Des. Last night showed that.
I don't think it is just bottle ( although this will contribute)
In cup football, there is luck, bottle, referee decisions, worldy goals and quality.
One certain thing is that to have any chance, you have to get there.
There is no doubt that Bolton will be the best team in the play offs, but you just never know.
I reckon almost every supporter would want us to get there and most realise that the odds would be against us winning them

Did you watch the first half yesterday?

Except we didn't look lost in the first half yesterday, and if we had taken one of our chances and gone a goal up then it would have been Lincoln who would have had to try a different game plan.

We also ripped Peterborough apart only a couple of days ago, and could quite conceivably play them in the semi with a Wembley final a complete one-off regardless of who we play.
Except we didn't take those chances? Then Lincoln shut us out the game. We are going to end up playing Bolton and will end up being like the blackpool play off games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom