Matches Top 6 Race 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bodin has scored a fair few goals for us off the bench, including a beauty against Peterborough McGuane was our best player earlier in the season. OK, Browne is fragile but off the bench you’re not asking for a 90 minute performance and, deployed correctly, he’s a good enough player to impact a game for 20-30 minutes. Des obviously felt he was fit enough to start on Friday and he knows him better than you or I. Henry’s best days are behind him but he’s that experienced head that’s useful in certain situations. We’ll agree to disagree, your argument definitely doesn’t convince me.
None are good enough and get bullied. We are soft touch because of all these players. They don’t offer any steel or solidity. We have to have a complete clear out of those types of players in the summer. Bodin’s best days are behind him. Same as Browne & Henry, we should invest in youth and younger players. They are out there. Peterborough have done it for years and they’ve had success. We shouldn’t be offering 2 year deals to anyone over the age of 30 from now on. If we wish to become a sustainable profitable football club, we have to improve in that area. Our squad as a whole just isn’t very good & incredibly weak in areas. Especially Central Midfield and upfront and we have been without options all season because they are either injury prone or just not good enough.

It’s worth pointing out that many of the same people on here who are saying ‘We would have fallen away under Manning, we’d never have kept it up, we were getting more points than our performances deserved’ are the same people who about halfway through the season were saying ‘Portsmouth will fall away, they’re getting results without playing well, they can’t keep that up.’

And if Mousinho had left at the same time as Manning, and Portsmouth had also fallen away under a new manager to 6th/7th, those same people could very reasonably say ‘But would they have kept that up under Mousinho? Portsmouth were always likely to fall away…’

Rotten in terms of accepting failure correct.

Keep the same energy you had for KR for a manager who come out in and turned a functioning football side from an a side in automatics to a side now not even getting a play off place when a club like Lincoln are.

If only the football club appointed a decent replacement when a quality manager in Liam Manning moved on.

Sorry for not accepting what will be a 7/8th place finish next week from a position of 2nd with a united team & fanbase after Orient away.

It’s complete failure. We will be achieving the same as Shrewsbury this season.

I’ve not seen any of our supporters ‘accept’ failure. What I do see is supporters with a degree of awareness for where we are at currently with this playing squad, management and the actual club as a whole.

Just because people aren’t throwing their toys out the pram like you, doesn’t for one second mean that people are ‘accepting failure’.

This squad remains unbalanced in key areas. That is a legacy of the KR era with players like Henry/Eastwood/Browne being here on big contracts who offer very little to enhance the first team.

IF we don’t win promotion, then we will be one of 17 other teams, including Charlton and at least one of Posh/Bolton that will be in league 1 next season, having not achieved promotion this time. The odds on promotion are not particularly favourable. You’d probably be best placed moderating your expectations, that way you will be less disappointed and perhaps, more rational.

We go again, win at Exeter and see what happens.

Keep believing, keep standing by your team and up the U's!

Can we please tap up Paul Warne if he ever leaves derby. The guy gets promoted from l1 pretty much every season.

Form going into the last day:

Barnsley - WLLDLL
Lincoln - WWDLWW
Oxford - DWWWLD
Blackpool - LDWWWW
And I think the final results will be (in bold)

Barnsley - WLLDLLW = 78 - 5th
Lincoln - WWDLWWW = 77 - 6th
Oxford - DWWWLDD = 75 - 7th
Blackpool - LDWWWWD = 74 (possibly even Win at Reading as I cannot see Reading doing us any favours) - 8th or possibly 7th.

Losing to Lincoln cost us in this run in! That was an NOT lose game unfortunately. Even if we win at Exeter which I feel is a long shot we’ll lose out on goal difference.

Obviously I hope I’m wrong, but have felt for a while now that we’re just not good enough, even though we’ve shown flashes of being good enough e.g. Pompey away (even though we lost), and Peterborough at home, but we’ve just not been consistent enough.

Last edited:
And I think the final results will be (in bold)

Barnsley - WLLDLLW = 78 - 5th
Lincoln - WWDLWWW = 77 - 6th
Oxford - DWWWLDD = 75 - 7th
Blackpool - LDWWWWD = 74 (possibly even Win at Reading as I cannot see Reading doing us any favours) - 8th or possibly 7th.

Losing to Lincoln cost us in this run in! That was an NOT lose game unfortunately. Even if we win at Exeter which I feel is a long shot we’ll lose out on goal difference.

Obviously I hope I’m wrong, but have felt for a while now that we’re just not good enough, even though we’ve shown flashes of being good enough e.g. Pompey away (even though we lost), and Peterborough at home, but we’ve not been consistent enough.

The buck stops with the manager, that’s why we are not good enough and consistent enough.

A more tactically aware manager would have squeezed a few extra points out of games from November to now.

Now posters may not like that, but sadly it’s true. Des is learning on the job, but for me the situation we were in back in October/ November it was a job for someone more experienced. I think GF and TW were seduced by the local theme.

Last edited:
Bodin has scored a fair few goals for us off the bench, including a beauty against Peterborough McGuane was our best player earlier in the season. OK, Browne is fragile but off the bench you’re not asking for a 90 minute performance and, deployed correctly, he’s a good enough player to impact a game for 20-30 minutes. Des obviously felt he was fit enough to start on Friday and he knows him better than you or I. Henry’s best days are behind him but he’s that experienced head that’s useful in certain situations. We’ll agree to disagree, your argument definitely doesn’t convince me.

So you think these players, who finished 19th last season, under a manager you think was good, should have finished top 6 this season.

Can you talk me through your thought process?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom