Local News Traffic Filters in Oxford

So have I read this wrongly or does it mean that you won't be able to drive to the Westgate car park?
Looks like not from Abingdon Road direction, but you could turn onto Oxpens by the station and access it that way .... oh, hang on Botley Rd and outside the station is going to be closed for a year. What are they thinking.

• React
Reactions: m
So have I read this wrongly or does it mean that you won't be able to drive to the Westgate car park?
access only from Botley Road between 7&7. Of course the closure of the Botley Road might cause an issue there.

You offer hear of plans being dropped and that if often because consultation has thrown up previously not considered details that render the decision problematic or plain unworkable, so I'd say not.

But there again not all people are like you and can't change their minds. 😁

"Not considered detail" - like gridlock, chaos and residents not wanting them?

Its that majority thing again. :)

Will all the tradesmen who work in town only be allowed in via one or two ways now then? They will join the queues of workers, deliveries, shoppers etc? Seems suicidal for a city centre in terms of businesses, who is going to want to sit in those sort of traffic jams.

I used to have to drive into town all the time for work, so glad I am not having to get involved with this B*****s.

Will all the tradesmen who work in town only be allowed in via one or two ways now then? They will join the queues of workers, deliveries, shoppers etc? Seems suicidal for a city centre in terms of businesses, who is going to want to sit in those sort of traffic jams.

I used to have to drive into town all the time for work, so glad I am not having to get involved with this B*****s.
they will treat it like a cash cow. cameras charging for those that go through

they will treat it like a cash cow. cameras charging for those that go through
So a congestion charge in all but name? Except more expensive and you are more limited withe routes you take.

They do realise Oxford is not London, a lot of shoppers will just take their business elsewhere, although that will solve everything once the shops shut down.

There is a grand scheme at work here.

Rid the city centre of traffic, and thence shops and office based businesses. Creating a University utopia of students, language schools and tourists. Coffee outlets and shops selling tourist university tat will survive and prosper.

But fear not shoppers!

A new out of town shopping centre will emerge from the debris of the concrete grain silo towers in Kidlington. It will be forever known as Kidlington Shopping Village. Very handy as it will be next door to Oxford Parkway, Water Eaton P&R and the A34.

And just across the road the all new shiny Eco friendly Stratfield Brake Sports Stadium will complete the project.

There is a Zero Emission Zone which the Westgate would be with in. So you would have to pay the cost if you are not using an e-car.

You would still have to get to it via Botley Road.

Last edited:
  • React
Reactions: m
I'm old enough to remember Marston Ferry Link Road being opened!
me too .... appears I'll/ We'll both see that link to North Oxford, installed as it was deemed necessary, severed too :mad:

Im just off Headley Way - my GP health centre and Dentist surgery are both located in Summertown..... which will be a bit of a bastard to get to once the bus gate gets installed

as for Hollow way - I invariably go that way for home games (avoiding the ring road), its generally slow going of late ( knock on effect of LTNs ), a f*****g bus gate there 'stops' people in Headington from easily getting to Cowley/ Iffley ( where I have relatives) especially as LTNs since instillation have ensured St Clements, Cowley rd, Iffley Rd and The Plain are basically no go areas most of the time

Last edited:
There is a Zero Emission Zone which the Westgate would be with in. So you would have to pay the cost if you are not using an e-car.

You would still have to get to it via Botley Road.
The ZEZ is not that big yet.

StreetLength
New RoadBetween Bonn Square and its junction with Castle Street
Bonn SquareWhole length
Queen StreetWhole length
Cornmarket StreetWhole length
New Inn Hall StreetWhole length
Shoe LaneWhole length
Market StreetFrom its junction with Cornmarket, extending east for 40 metres
Ship StreetWhole length
St Michael’s StreetWhole length

Last edited by a moderator:
The ZEZ is not that big yet.

StreetLength
New RoadBetween Bonn Square and its junction with Castle Street
Bonn SquareWhole length
Queen StreetWhole length
Cornmarket StreetWhole length
New Inn Hall StreetWhole length
Shoe LaneWhole length
Market StreetFrom its junction with Cornmarket, extending east for 40 metres
Ship StreetWhole length
St Michael’s StreetWhole length
That is the current "trial"

This is the dream from the Council:

A lot of cars are fine with the ULEZ in London, it was bought in to make commercial lorries etc have ad blue tanks fitted to them and make them more eco friendly. Even my missus 2010 Honda Civic is under the emissions level, so unless Oxfords going for even lower levels than London that shouldn’t be an issue.

So, who voted for these Councillors? And, who is willing to vote them out again come the next election?

A lot of cars are fine with the ULEZ in London, it was bought in to make commercial lorries etc have ad blue tanks fitted to them and make them more eco friendly. Even my missus 2010 Honda Civic is under the emissions level, so unless Oxfords going for even lower levels than London that shouldn’t be an issue.
Oxford is ZERO Emissions.

It's not coming in til the Botley Road reopens so prob not till 2024 - and a lot could happen in that time. Vans and trade vehicles are exempt I think, and residents get a permit to go through the filter 100 times a year, though I'm not sure exactly which residents.

I'm quite eco and cycle everywhere but it seems crazy to me, the High Street and Cornmarket are closed which most people are fine with, but Marston Ferry Road is a pretty major artery rather than a residential street.

• React
Reactions: QR
If you drive to Oxford as a visitor it's going to be very confusing, hardly encouraging people to come in and spend money. Can see a lot of shops etc shutting down with this experiment (which is what it is) as they struggle for the extra trade that people coming in from outside bring.

When are the next local elections? Can't be many people who want to vote for the loons who have bought this in.

Back
Top Bottom