Unofficial Name for the New Stadium

There is a theory/reason why football clubs don't like new stadiums acquiring a name among the public before opening, and that is because that name tends to stick. This makes it harder for any naming rights to be successfully sold, as the stadium already has a name.

It's why Spurs new stadium is still known as the "new Tottenham Hotspur Stadium" rather than anything else, as the Spurs board feel that way a naming rights deal is more attractive, as I'm sure no Spurs fans refer to it as that, so they still have a chance to sell the naming rights.

I feel our new stadium already has its de facto name, and that is The Triangle, as that's how we all refer to it, and will do for the next three years. By that time the name will have stuck, so it may make a naming rights deal harder to seal. I think the club have already missed a trick here.

There is a theory/reason why football clubs don't like new stadiums acquiring a name among the public before opening, and that is because that name tends to stick. This makes it harder for any naming rights to be successfully sold, as the stadium already has a name.

It's why Spurs new stadium is still known as the "new Tottenham Hotspur Stadium" rather than anything else, as the Spurs board feel that way a naming rights deal is more attractive, as I'm sure no Spurs fans refer to it as that, so they still have a chance to sell the naming rights.

I feel our new stadium already has its de facto name, and that is The Triangle, as that's how we all refer to it, and will do for the next three years. By that time the name will have stuck, so it may make a naming rights deal harder to seal. I think the club have already missed a trick here.
I don’t expect the bidding process for naming rights will be very open with the directors using it as a vehicle for getting money into the club via one of their business interests eg Bangkok Glass

the club have missed more than a few tricks of late IMO

the club have missed more than a few tricks of late IMO
Genuine question, what tricks have they missed? No company is going to pay to name a Stadium before plans are revealed and planning permission granted.. If anything its fans deciding what they will call the Stadium before it is named that's missing the trick.

Genuine question, what tricks have they missed? No company is going to pay to name a Stadium before plans are revealed and planning permission granted.. If anything its fans deciding what they will call the Stadium before it is named that's missing the trick.
Have a read of @Colin B 's excellent view on the naming rights ( which my reply was to)

other tricks missed IMO regarding the stadium potentially involve the presentation of information and how its been (or not been) presented to the wider public., cliched though it is, winning over local residents should be high up on the priority list

Call it The Trinity Stadium.

OUFC is in the middle, the father is the fans, the son is liam manning, staff and players and finally the Holy Spirit is those who we have loved and lost at the club who still live on in our memories and hearts…who drive us on and inspire us to move up the football league.

That, or the wildflower ground.

By the time we get anywhere near a stadium being completed, the name 'The Triangle' will (for good or ill) have stuck as a nickname at the very least. I think it's a decent way of referring to it, it lends itself to a recognisable logo and is more memorable than 'The BG Stadium' or whatever.

By the time we get anywhere near a stadium being completed, the name 'The Triangle' will (for good or ill) have stuck as a nickname at the very least. I think it's a decent way of referring to it, it lends itself to a recognisable logo and is more memorable than 'The BG Stadium' or whatever.

The 'Bangkok Glass Triangle' it is then.

Back
Top Bottom