International News US Election YF Vote/Prediction

Who will win the US Election on Tuesday?

• Donald Trump

Votes: 25 46.3%
  • Joe Biden

Votes: 29 53.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well done on completely misrepresenting the facts, as usual.

Biden 306, Trump 232. Landslide.
Well if you want to compare like to like, best estimates suggest that by constituency 406 voted to Leave and 242 voted to Remain.

The only point I'm trying to make is that the vote was not a landslide. But I do agree that it wasn't a "close call", either.

My only observation is that there are two completely opposed and irreconcilable groups of virtually equal size amongst the population and it's hard to see how they can be brought together.

I am surprised that the Trump supporters appeared to so easily get into the Capitol building.
With potential terrorist attacks, and knowing that Trumps supporters were going to Washington, the security looked to be a little understated?
Worth contrasting with how the BLM protests were dealt with. Good comparison here

My only observation is that there are two completely opposed and irreconcilable groups of virtually equal size amongst the population and it's hard to see how they can be brought together.
In the US case I’m not sure of that. I think the partisan outlook is a product of the FPTP system. If they had a more representative system, I wouldn’t be surprised if there were 4 camps: left, centre left, centre right, right, and that the bunch in the middle (centre left + centre right) could hold the consensus most of the time.

In the case of Brexit, the cause of division is the divisive, ideologically loaded single issue. Again, the pisspoor politics and process are the cause of the irreconcilability, not the underlying question itself.

Well done on completely misrepresenting the facts, as usual.

Biden 306, Trump 232. Landslide.

Lies, damned lies & numbers eh? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Conservative - 43.6% (Seats 365)
Labour - 32.2% (Seats 203)

That`s getting more like a landslide.

Anyway back to America.

Biden is going to have a tough job uniting the country after all this stuff calms down.

How will he do it? Populism? Money? Investment?

If DT or his anointed successor (I wouldn`t bet against Ivanka) runs again volatility might not go away for a long time.

Thank God we’ll never have to deal with anything like that here.

We are civilised & unarmed.

"Never had these problems when more of the globe was pink"................ he says, reclining like JRM and lighting up a phat one...

In the US case I’m not sure of that. I think the partisan outlook is a product of the FPTP system. If they had a more representative system, I wouldn’t be surprised if there were 4 camps: left, centre left, centre right, right, and that the bunch in the middle (centre left + centre right) could hold the consensus most of the time.

In the case of Brexit, the cause of division is the divisive, ideologically loaded single issue. Again, the pisspoor politics and process are the cause of the irreconcilability, not the underlying question itself.
Yes, there are of course more than two main demographic groups in the US, just as the UK isn’t just sophisticated, educated Remainers and provincial, unreflective Brexiters. Forcing people to get behind one side or the other just accentuates division and stifles real debate.

We are civilised & unarmed.

"Never had these problems when more of the globe was pink"................ he says, reclining like JRM and lighting up a phat one...
Think you need to get out more (and I mean a bit further than shuffling around Leicester, checking on schools 🤣 )*

So presumably you condemn the actions of Trump and his supporters then?

*when lockdown is over, obvs!

So Trump has conceeded....kind of:
Trump’s social media aide Dan Scavino has tweeted a “Statement by President Donald J. Trump on the Electoral Certification
Even though I totally disagree with the outcome of the election, and the facts bear me out*, nevertheless there will be an orderly transition on January 20th. I have always said we would continue our fight to ensure that only legal votes were counted. While this represents the end of the greatest first term in presidential history, it’s only the beginning of our fight to Make America Great Again!”
*The facts do not bear Trump out.

He is certifiable.

Yes, there are of course more than two main demographic groups in the US, just as the UK isn’t just sophisticated, educated Remainers and provincial, unreflective Brexiters. Forcing people to get behind one side or the other just accentuates division and stifles real debate.
If this post was supposed to be ironic, then hats off to you.

I still think they ought to impeach Trump if there are grounds - and surely inciting an assault on the Capitol is grounds! - just to make sure he can't come back. Unless he's going to be put in prison or is scheduled to meet with an unfortunate accident of course.

I still think they ought to impeach Trump if there are grounds - and surely inciting an assault on the Capitol is grounds! - just to make sure he can't come back. Unless he's going to be put in prison or is scheduled to meet with an unfortunate accident of course.
I see Ilhan Omar has already drafted articles of impeachment on these lines....but I guess that because they have come from a radical commie, they won't go anywhere...

They are also citing the 25th amendment that he is unfit to remain in office and could be removed that way too. But again it won't go anywhere (even if it should). It is a shame that the US has set such a low bar for those it is prepared to let govern the country over the last 4 years.

I guess the UK is not so dissimilar after all, given the track record of our current incumbent power shower ;)

Oh well, we get the leaders we deserve I suppose!

His campaign (ie. his family) has raised $200m since losing this election. He's used this 'stop the steal' crap to extract as much cash as possible from his base of relatively poorer people. Whether that'll be used to keep causing political trouble who knows. Seems more likely it'll be needed for lawyers to fight the multitude of prosecutions heading his way. Whatever happens I just hope his last few years are miserable and that he suffers.

His campaign (ie. his family) has raised $200m since losing this election. He's used this 'stop the steal' crap to extract as much cash as possible from his base of relatively poorer people. Whether that'll be used to keep causing political trouble who knows. Seems more likely it'll be needed for lawyers to fight the multitude of prosecutions heading his way. Whatever happens I just hope his last few years are miserable and that he suffers.
Nice to see the trickle-up economy working so well, both in his administration and privately. God bless(help) America.

Back
Top Bottom