What Have You Been Watching Lately? (No Spoilers)

I've been watching Poker Face on Sky, really enjoying it. You need to get past the first episode, which is really a setup for the series, before it really starts to take off. Brilliantly shot.
Seen it advertised and the trailers is it a comedy?

Seen it advertised and the trailers is it a comedy?
No, if you can imagine a darker US-version of Jonathan Creek, you won't be far off. Murder each week which the female lead unravels. First episode is just a setup for the series, it gets going from episode 2.

Evacuation on channel 4.
The story of our final exit from Kabul, as told by mainly RAF personnel involved in the operation.
20 years of occupation,undone in a shambolic 14 days.

Last edited:
Licorice Pizza.

Brilliant. A proper movie. Great acting, funny, wonderful cinematography, great script, great music. Puts most films to shame. Currently on Amazon, free if you have Prime.

Oh, and a Jonny Greenwood score to boot.

Rabbit Hole on Paramount. Starring Krueger Sutherland.It’s about a group of people who work in corporate espionage then a murder happens and Kiefer Sutherlands Character goes on the run…let’s just say not all is at is seems. Very enjoyable

For those who are at least as old as I am - remember when BBC2 used regularly to show foreign films with English subtitles in the 1970's?

Those days are long gone but it was very welcome to see the Talking Pictures channel screen such a film on Sunday 23rd July, namely Jour du Fete (1949) directed by and starring Jacques Tati, in its original black and white version. Not only a very funny slapstick comedy but also a wonderful portrait of rural France just after WW2. Apart from Tati, the star surely must have been the (uncredited?) woman who may have been born in the 1850's. The American military police also appear in one scene, which suggests that they did not leave France in a hurry after liberation.

One interesting thing that Talking Pictures did was to show a PG certificate of their own before the film started, despite the fact that the film was given a U certificate by the BBFC back in 1949. This may have been due to the mildly dangerous and easily imitable stunts that appear in the film, such as children climbing aboard a moving lorry, or Tati riding his bicycle through a small bonfire. A very enjoyable watch, and I expect there will be a repeat at some point in the near future.

Last edited:
Murder in the Alps 3 episodes on Ch4............ murky, mysterious and well presented.

More retro fun with Crown Court on Talking Pictures TV. Anyone watching on Monday 24th July would have been treated to the sight of a youngish Bob Hoskins (sporting a handlebar moustache) playing a criminal informer. Unfortunately, I was feeling rather tired so I only watched the first episode. This was also a rare Crown Court story that did not feature the unconventional sex life of the defendant, which was because the alleged offence had occurred within a prison. The fictitious prison was described as "Fulchester's largest prison" which suggested that Fulchester is actually supposed to be either the Isle of Wight or London, because these are the only places in the UK that have more than one prison.

Last night (31st July) CC was screened 45 minutes earlier than it had been the previous week, so I stayed up to watch all three back to back episodes. This particular story, titled 'Infanticide or Murder' returned to the programme's unhealthy obsession with illicit sex and was about a 15 year old girl whose baby had been murdered immediately after it was born. She had become pregnant by any one of three boys at school (she was unable to be more specific than that) and her very strict and religious father was on trial accused of murdering the baby. The funny thing was that the actors playing the girl's father and mother seemed to be aged about 70 and 65 respectively. There are a couple of good twists so I won't spoil it by revealing the outcome, in case you want to watch it when it is repeated in the Friday afternoon slot in a months or so's time.

Last edited:
Bake Off - The Professionals.

Not to be confused with ordinary bake-off and not featuring Lewis Collins, Gordon Jackson and the bloke with big hair. All human life is here.*

* The now-mandatory 'comedian' is a pile of shit, but Liam, Benoit and darling Cherish are an earthly garden of patisserial presenting delight.

Bake Off - The Professionals.

Not to be confused with ordinary bake-off and not featuring Lewis Collins, Gordon Jackson and the bloke with big hair. All human life is here.*

* The now-mandatory 'comedian' is a pile of s**t, but Liam, Benoit and darling Cherish are an earthly garden of patisserial presenting delight.
Bake off?!! Fv*k off!!

Grrrr. It's not Bake Off with Hollywood Leith and the short danish womman.

Watch it. Tuesday at 8, Channel 4. Into the final 6 next week :D

Stanley Tucci on Sardinia, the last 15 minutes is wonderful

Funny feller, Tucci, veers from awful to brilliant within seconds. Worth a watch, tho.

Stanley Tucci on Sardinia, the last 15 minutes is wonderful
My favourite bit of the two series was the meal during the storm on the Amalfi coast. He does get on your t**s a bit at times though.

Back
Top Bottom