World Cup Moaning Thread

Absolute joke those two games tonight. This really is the future of top-level football isn't it - everyone standing round while a ref watches the TV in a dugout. And it hasn't even cut down on poor decisions somehow.

On the plus side.....at least it's Portugal that got screwed over by all the VAR madness!

They've got to play Uruguay now in the last sixteen; that's one for those that are a fan of the footballing dark arts......

The Iran penalty was ludicrous.
That said, the thing I don't understand most of all is. Why did the Portugal ref receive word in his ear about the Ronaldo "slap" that he should look at it again but the Spain referee didn't for an appalling challenge on Iniesta. Presumably because one was seen and the other not? But even then, the VAR ref HAS to tell the Spain ref to look at that again. Surely?

The problem that this is introducing is that by calling the ref to look at the replay, the VAR team are basically saying that his decision is wrong, so he is under incredible pressure to agree with them - which I think is why many are not standing by their own first decision, when that is in fact correct.

VAR always had to go through this phase of feet-finding at some stage, whether the world cup was the right place to do it however.....??

You could definitely apply it equally well to the Asian Football Confederation - who are now going to get eight places in the 2026 World Cup.

If that had been the case in this qualifying cycle, we'd have been treated to the UAE, Syria and Uzbekistan joining the tournament. All of whom would, judging from their recent results, probably have made the Saudis look like world beaters.

I may be a bit out of date, but I used to browse a bit of Asian football when I lived in Dubai and in my opinion all three of the teams you mention were at a level some distance below Iran or even Saudi.

I'm going to have to Wenger the VAR controversy tonight - I didn't see it. But seeing the reaction is glorious.

Lazy Syrian bastards, absolutely no reason for that country not to have a good footballing infrastructure.

A lot of the time when you they show multiple replays on the tv you are none the clearer as to whether the ref made the right decision, so VAR always had the potential to be a cock up, not like they have any better footage to view.

They would be better of sticking to just correcting clear mistakes, but I suppose it’s still tricky where you draw the line. Football is just not suited to this, works better for sports that have more natural breaks in play.

I reckon the VAR job should go to Lineker and Shearer. 100% guaranteed to get it right every time.

VAR is only being considered because of the ££££`s won or lost on a human making a split second decision. Just another step down the road in pursuit of ££££££`s there is nothing else too it. And its no better than just having a referee, in some cases its managed to be worse. How anyone can think that was handball is beyond belief.

Isn't constantly pecking referees heads dissent and therefore constitutes a red card? ......Isn't wrestling an opponent to the ground serious foul play and that also constitutes a red card? ......dish out a few red cards and stop most of the blatant cheating that this world cup has been blighted with

in keeping with the title of the thread ....Japan v Poland ....paint drying is more entertaining to watch than how that match ended:rolleyes:

FFS Japan go through to the knock out stages .....on LESS yellow cards than Sengao_Oo_Oo_O

FFS Japan go through to the knock out stages .....on LESS yellow cards than Sengao_Oo_Oo_O

Used to be that when two teams were tied on points, goal difference and goals scored, and had drawn head-to-head - they drew lots.

Not sure which system is better, to be honest.

Used to be that when two teams were tied on points, goal difference and goals scored, and had drawn head-to-head - they drew lots.

closest dart to the bullseye perhaps ? :unsure:

didnt in at least one WCF or Euro most amount of corners won split the difference? ...though I may have imaginined that?....its far too hot to even try and think :oops:

It's a choice between a rock and a hard place, but if I had to choose then I'd pick 'less cards' over 'drawing lots'. At least there is some element of reward for playing a bit fairer, rather than complete randomness.

Back
Top Bottom