Away Match Day Thread 02/03/2024 L1: Portsmouth v OUFC

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Really liked most of what I saw yesterday and enjoyed the game from start to finish.

Portsmouth did what teams having their sort of season always do and weathered the storm before digging out a winner.

If someone had watched that game in ignorance of relative league positions there is no way they would have fathomed the gap between us.

Maybe too late, but deliver another 10 performances like that and Iโ€™ll be happy with how things are starting to develop.

Poor decision making firstly by Moore then by Brown for their winner, both tried to jump in, shame.

Agreed.

Elliott Moore firstly dives in leaving us out of shape and vulnerable with the forward pass through the middle of the pitch which completely split us in two.

Ciaron Brown then is not strong enough in the challenge, Saydee gets a bit of good fortune and races away from Brown to slot past Cumming.

We are conceding all sorts of goals but so many are self inflicted and preventable.

The first came from a throw in where we were out of shape within 90 seconds of the kick-off. Moore allows Lang inside for a free shot at goal which Cumming spills.

So despite a promising performance from United the concession of cheap goals shows no sign of abating.

Last edited:
GHr2wDiWYAUUFVj

Watched it on I follow, we deserved to win that one .More shots more possession. If only those 2 shots that hit the post had gone in it could have been do different. Credit where itโ€™s due thatโ€™s the best game under Buckingham so far, some good football. Letโ€™s hope we have turned the corner

Played by far the better football , an excellent display apart from the final ball and a dose of luck.
The ball hitting the corner flag and staying in play caused the slight loss of shape .

Performance level box ticked. It should be every week mind you. To close down, fight and run hard is bare minimum and is ultimately controllable.

Their 2 goalsโ€ฆcriminal really. As a young pro footballer you have to be able to shift your feet across quicker to close down a shot after 90 secs!!!

As for the ball hitting corner flagโ€ฆlap of the gods voodoo shitz and we need to convert chances.

Pompey are going up.

Not really.

The free kick launched sideways hard and out for a throw in was the root cause. Which comes from the players being unsure of a clear game plan .
Disagree with this completely. That pass from Stevens to Leigh was on and had it been a foot lower Leigh has the ball in space and running into their third. To call it being unsure of a game plan looks like twisting the result (their goal) to fit a narrative, lack of a clear game plan is going backwards and passing around the back before launching it, which we've seen plenty of. If the pass is a foot lower I don't think that thought would cross your mind.

It was a technical error from both Stevens who slightly over hit the pass and Leigh who couldn't get it under control, not a lack of ideas. The shot wasn't massively well hit, was straight at Cumming and he got two hands on it, it was a horrendous error from him to concede it. The fact that we unsuccessfully tried to switch play 10 seconds before does nothing to excuse it.

It is unlikely, but why write the season off when you still have a chance?

Because some people will seek and find the disappointment in any given situation, and then share that disappointment with others because they think it makes them look informed and prescient, when in reality it makes them look like miserable sods.

If we do manage to pick up 20 points from the last 10 games and find ourselves in to the play-offs, these same people will be saying that we donโ€™t deserve it, only got there through luck, and wonโ€™t be wasting their money on a ticket to Wembley because weโ€™ll only end up losing anyway and whatโ€™s the point of supporting your team if you think theyโ€™ll lose.

Every club has โ€˜supportersโ€™ like this, and they are - almost without exception - the worst of us.

Poor decision making firstly by Moore then by Brown for their winner, both tried to jump in, shame.

My thought at the time was that Moore was trying to concede the foul to break up the counter. Ref even put his whistle to his lips ๐Ÿ˜”

That wall of noise in the last 5 minutes from Pompey was brilliant, so fair play to them, but that nursery rhyme they were clapping a little routine to before the kick offโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Now for a kebab as Iโ€™m starving and havenโ€™t eaten since breakfast and my best mate ( who is a Pompey fan) told me he was diagnosed with prostate cancer yesterday. So Iโ€™m doubley pissed off tonight. Lifeโ€™s a bitch.
Best of luck for your mate PY, life is a bitch indeed and gives some perspective to the football :( My best mate is Pompey too, we went out on Friday night and was pleased it was before the game the way we've been playing, but sounds like we can still hold our heads up after performance yesterday.

At last, that was a proper football day, great ground, two sets of fans up for it, good day out and a good performance from us that wasn't ponderous and slow and the ball played around the back.
you could tell at the end of the game our players looked as if they had lost a cup final 'gutted' that's how it should feel after putting everything in.

If we put that in against Cheltenham ,they will get ripped a new one, fingers crossed.

In my local, consensus of opinion from Pompey fans was, we were brilliant and they got lucky.
Before the game all I asked was that Des unlocked the shackles. Iโ€™m now convinced he reads this forum. We were brilliant. Deserved 3 points. Ok forget the first 90 seconds. Dale and Murphs were almost unplayable.
Fans were great and the rendition of oh when the saints was so funny, and was heard by the Fratton end.
What I want to say is for all of you who werenโ€™t at the game today is this bunch of players believe in Des, they ran through hoops for him. We deserved so much more today and I couldnโ€™t have been prouder being a Yellow.
Sorry Eggy if Iโ€™m more positive than you tonight.
Now for a kebab as Iโ€™m starving and havenโ€™t eaten since breakfast and my best mate ( who is a Pompey fan) told me he was diagnosed with prostate cancer yesterday. So Iโ€™m doubley pissed off tonight. Lifeโ€™s a bitch.
Ive had the prostate cancer battle, its a long hard journey ,tell him to keep positive and hopefully like me he will/can come through it. Wishing him well.

Disagree with this completely. That pass from Stevens to Leigh was on and had it been a foot lower Leigh has the ball in space and running into their third. To call it being unsure of a game plan looks like twisting the result (their goal) to fit a narrative, lack of a clear game plan is going backwards and passing around the back before launching it, which we've seen plenty of. If the pass is a foot lower I don't think that thought would cross your mind.

It was a technical error from both Stevens who slightly over hit the pass and Leigh who couldn't get it under control, not a lack of ideas. The shot wasn't massively well hit, was straight at Cumming and he got two hands on it, it was a horrendous error from him to concede it. The fact that we unsuccessfully tried to switch play 10 seconds before does nothing to excuse it.
We will maybe be in an agree to disagree situation here.

Stevens stood over the ball for some time looking unsure and scanning for options. Portsmouth were well structured and our players were static.

In reality it was a good opportunity to play the ball forward as a set piece. Weโ€™ve seen a multitude of teams perform that against us with reasonable threat this season.

Eventually Stevens played an almost completely sideways pass. If Leigh does control that (and he would need to do it instantly and perfectly) then heโ€™s almost in an identical position to where stevens started on the other side of the pitch, but the ball is now live and Portsmouth are closing both him down and any of his options down. A player was very quickly over there.

So then the ball into the box is now gone. The ball into the center is gone. And he needs to win a 1v1 as the last defender on that side. Seems a little risky ? I really hope thatโ€™s not the training plan and directive.

As for the low grade technical delivery and receipt, I would say thatโ€™s symptomatic of the pressure of no obvious options / plan and a reaction to needing to actually take the kick in a timely manner.

On every level it was a mess. Looked unplanned. And was the direct cause that we turned potential goal threat offensive action into a quick negative transition to counter attack, defence and a goal conceded.

For the record and as stated elsewhere I thought yesterdayโ€™s performance was a massive performance on recent weeks.

Last edited:
What a waste of money
Can't blame Des for that though, if he's brought in a player who is showing such a lack of focus and commitment, that he's turning up late for training, and swanning off to Denmark whenever he feels like it, then he doesn't deserve to be in the match day squads, and Des is fully justified to leave him out.

It also make an example out of him, and sends a message to the rest of the squad, that regardless of who you are, and how much money is being spent on you, if you f**k about, and don't show the required level of commitment and focus, then you're out of the squad.

Kenโ€™s?

Sorry to hear about your mate. Best wishes.

Yesterday the Oxford fans were given a performance worthy of getting a result at a club who after 7 seasons of lge 1 football are on the brink of a return to the championship.

Their 5 minutes of noise towards the end of the game was impressive - but I think it was the sheer relief from their fans who can now see their club (they hope) after years of being just another lower lge club actually emerge to join the slightly higher echelons of the EFL.

However, I do have my doubts about them as a team and although we lost yesterday this Oxford team with players returning since we played the poms at the k*ssam should have wiped the floor with them after conceding so early.

They know in their heads that we should have could have won that game yesterday and they will face that continuously next season so from that blue army performance I witnessed yesterday I expect them to spunk around the bottom 6 places unless they improve their squad four fold.

Nevertheless, after 55 seasons of following my club I'm starting to run out of patience and years in getting ourselves back into Div 2 (Championship) again and if we don't make the play offs this season and I haven't quite given up on that as of yet until the f*t lady sings we must if we are all ambitious enough make sure it happens next season by thinking big and by way of marketing our club much better in selling this club to more and more younger (16-24) fans to come on board for the journey (obviously not the Firozovia one lol) by way of offering much better ST deals to this group of next generation supporters.

I generally believe the broom has started sweeping out tired practices within the club which isn't always nice - but to be a top 30 club, unfortunately, changes are needed for the better fortunes of progression. We can't have it both ways.

Starting next week with the forum and Saturday's game with Cheltenham I generally hope the outcome of both fixtures give me real hope for my club to progress and to hear the same type of noise we experienced for just 5 minutes at Portsmouth (to be fair they actually were very quiet sailors for 85 mins as we actually mesmerised them into submission) regularly at the remaining 2 seasons at the k*ssam and on entering the North Oxford stadium for the first time!

COYY'S.

Back
Top Bottom