• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why was Brown put right sided CB in second half
Thorniley couldn’t handle their big man
Completely upset the set up
Not that it was great anyway
Don’t ask me, I’m baffled.
Last week at Charlton has been the only one that’s been well thought out.

Well today showed us that players some thought we had who were good enough for the Championship, are way off the mark. Players such as, McGuane (too slow, takes too many touches), Rodrigues (just not good enough), and Brown etc (too slow).

Don’t blame Eastwood for any of the goals, but losing Beadle and Moore from our spine gave us an even bigger hill to climb than the one we were already expecting.

We had a lesson in how to play football today and how big the gulf had got between us and Coventry since we last played them.

Lots of things need sorting and Des’ post match interview did not fill me with confidence that these will be addressed!

Last edited:
Well, I enjoyed the day out. Coventry were just better. We would probably beat one of the better sides in L2 by 3-4, so there you go. McEachren is a waste of space imo. Ditto Thorniley. Apart from that, we were ok. Coventry might be a PL team in four months, so no surprise they stuffed us tbh

A Grade 1 hammering. If, in addition to numerous injuries, your star player and skipper are not starting the game it’s always likely to happen.

Coventry man for man bigger, stronger, quicker, more skillful. Could have been 10, got quite embarrassing in second half.

I do not want to see Eastwood or Thorniley on a first team sheet again.

Tyler did well when he came on and Henry showed a few glimpses of his illustrious past plus Cam hit some great diagonals. Er that’s it.

Hope Stanley Mills’s injury is not as bad as it looked.

Ah well, that’s the FA Cup down the shitter for another year.
And if it hadn’t been for Eastwood it could have been 10

Well today showed us that players some thought we had who were good enough for the Championship, are way off the mark. Players such as, McGuane (too slow, takes too many touches), Rodrigues (just not good enough), and Brown etc (too slow).

Don’t blame Eastwood for any of the goals, but losing Bradley and Moore from our spine gave us an even bigger hill to climb than the one we were already expecting.

We had a lesson in how to play football today and how big the gulf had got between us and Coventry since we last played them.

Lots of things need sorting and Des’ post match interview did not fill me with confidence that these will be addressed!
You really shouldn't be hard on yourselves, that team you played today had 10 million pounds of summer signings in it ,it's a team nearly at full strength missing 2 players we paid 13 million for .

We were oxford , trying to get up , and eventually you will get up ,staying up first season is key ,ignore the anomaly that is ipswich look more Rotherham, us , Wednesday ,we signed 2 players for 2 million and sold them for 35 million and the result of those sales is most of the team you played today costing just under 25 million , the 4th highest transfer fees in the league behind the parachute payment 3

Find a style , buy young and hungry cheap or free, add 3 or 4 experienced players to your spine , keep them together and keep going

Having mark robins helps

Last edited:
You really shouldn't be hard on yourselves, that team you played today had 10 million pounds of summer signings in it ,it's a team nearly at full strength missing 2 players we paid 13 million for .

We were oxford , trying to get up , and eventually you will get up ,staying up first season is key ,ignore the anomaly that is ipswich look more Rotherham, us , Wednesday ,we signed 2 players for 2 million and sold them for 35 million and the result of those sales is most of the team you played today costing just under 25 million , the 4th highest transfer fees in the league behind the parachute payment 3

Find a style , buy young and hungry cheap or free, add 3 or 4 experienced players to your spine , keep them together and keep going

Having mark robins helps
That’s very nice of you to say but we’re frustrated because we were s**t and didn’t perform to the level we expect , even considering our injuries.

I liked your ground and enjoyed the loud home support, it seemed positive and good natured with some original songs.

Having mark robins helps
Out of interest..did any Ox players stand out to you?

I hope Mark Robins stays with you but am surprised no other clubs have gone for him. It looks like he has done a heck of a job at Coventry..

Having mark robins helps

I wish the members of our senior management and ownership had this clarity of thought. A vision. A clear vision with which to operate by.

We've all been bouyed by the suggestion of this kind of operational model being implemented, but it all looks like it's gone to s**t a little bit of late.

The model is there. You only have to look to Brighton and Brentford to see that's it's not hard to rise up the pyramid amongst a plethora of frankly, very poorly run clubs. The above (and I include Coventry in this list) are currently maximising their operational potential.

Let's wait and see what is done in the rest of the January transfer window to judge the state of the club and ownership properly, but on all the evidence currently available to us, due in part to the appalling channels of communication from the club itself, we look like a club in decline again.

What a depressing day.

I travelled for six hours to attend the game. I was sat with a mate in the middle of the away fans.

I shouted my support for the team throughout the game as I always do whilst most others showed their support for just 11 minutes until Oxford had equalised only to quickly go behind behind again. Pathetic even if many were there just for a day out.

Maybe many are not diehard enough to cope with an early realisation that the club even allowing for injuries is nowhere near ready to hold its own in The Championship.

Out of interest..did any Ox players stand out to you?

I hope Mark Robins stays with you but am surprised no other clubs have gone for him. It looks like he has done a heck of a job at Coventry..

Mark Robins is Mr coventry city shall we say , been here 7 years now with 4 years extended.. took us on when we were about to fall into league 2 .. had loads of nonsense to deal with off field , built a team from scratch first season and won the playoffs , he's always recruited players that were good on the ball that will give you 100% every game , players that don't give 100% really struggle to last here , but he's always had leaders in the team and I felt that Oxford lacked that today .

But we are now under new ownership and the owner gave Robins over half of the transfer fees received , the team he's built took a while to get going but I'm hoping upu agree looks pretty bloody good , we signed liam kitching from barnsley who wasn't playing today you might know , he's been incredible

Last edited:
I wish the members of our senior management and ownership had this clarity of thought. A vision. A clear vision with which to operate by.

We've all been bouyed by the suggestion of this kind of operational model being implemented, but it all looks like it's gone to s**t a little bit of late.

The model is there. You only have to look to Brighton and Brentford to see that's it's not hard to rise up the pyramid amongst a plethora of frankly, very poorly run clubs. The above (and I include Coventry in this list) are currently maximising their operational potential.

Let's wait and see what is done in the rest of the January transfer window to judge the state of the club and ownership properly, but on all the evidence currently available to us, due in part to the appalling channels of communication from the club itself, we look like a club in decline again.
In this regard , Mark Robins made sure the club from senior team to u23s to u18s all play the same system too to make sure the entire club is on the same wavelength .. we played wingback for years but found that it's a system that's being countered much more effectively these days so switched to 4231 this year

The boy and I are home and eaten dinner. On reflection - we gave the ball away so cheaply and so frequently today and for me that was our main undoing. Then considering that's pretty much their starting eleven and we fielded maybe five from our strongest side, no real shame.

We simply need people back and/or in very soon.

The boy and I are home and eaten dinner. On reflection - we gave the ball away so cheaply and so frequently today and for me that was our main undoing. Then considering that's pretty much their starting eleven and we fielded maybe five from our strongest side, no real shame.

We simply need people back and/or in very soon.

Poor old Oisin Smyth had a mare - he turned the ball over eight times in the 45 mins he played - including giving it away with his first three passes of the afternoon.

He had a torrid time as did so many others. Too many of those that played today for the U’s are so one-paced. We were simply outplayed and outclassed
and it could have been worse. To concede such a cheap goal so early on from a corner set the tone for a miserable afternoon.

Felt too many heads dropped and we looked leaderless. The ball was given away so often even when our players weren’t under pressure.
Could be a long winter - just like last year.

It's not the place to air the clubs dirty laundry when you have non fans looking in but I will say it's not all rosey behind the scenes. Questions need to be asked/ demanded to be answered by Oxvox of what is going on at the club.
You actually know it's not rosey behind the scenes or are you surmising?

Pressed on the Beadle situation. No definitive answer. Pressed on the injury list...somewhat vague. Tried hard on incoming signings....lots of hoops to jump through..but hopeful. That's how I read it.
Do you mean Nathan

Can you just clarify which category we fall in to..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom