Ref Watch 06/04/2024: L1 Burton Albion v OUFC - Will Finnie

How was his performance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Really should have taken control and dealt with the Burton physical stuff. neede more cards be cause it was likely someone was going to get injured

- I think we could have had a couple of penalties too

5 from me

Let far too much go. Didn’t book Burton players for blatant fouls. Below average.

Felt he tried to let the game flo with the conditions. His mistake was not booking a Burton player in the first five minutes. Some blatant fouls overlooked, pretty poor performance really.

As others have said, far too many fouls left unpunished. Shirt pulling, grappling, niggly fouls and potential for injury should have been clamped down on with a card. As it was, Burton players got away with repeat fouls all over the pitch.
From the off there were complaints to the 4th official by OUFC regarding the strong arm stuff at every set piece. The long throws and corners were just all in wrestling matches.

Very poor. No control. Let cynical fouls go unpunished. The linesman on the seated side was even worse.

As others have said, far too many fouls left unpunished. Shirt pulling, grappling, niggly fouls and potential for injury should have been clamped down on with a card. As it was, Burton players got away with repeat fouls all over the pitch.
From the off there were complaints to the 4th official by OUFC regarding the strong arm stuff at every set piece. The long throws and corners were just all in wrestling matches.
I thought he had been told this was his last season and thought B*****s I don't need all this paperwork.
To be fair I think he let a lot go because of the playing conditions, The pitch was awful and with the wind it made conditions very difficult. But that nasty playing style appears to be part of Paterson's teams DNA.
But like every other referee unarmed combat is allowed for set pieces into penalty areas at all levels of the game. Powell their number 7, who was eventually booked, played like a human wrecking ball, a real nasty little s**t.

I thought he was really poor.
Far from keeping the game flowing,
his lack of enforcement resulted in a goodly amount of unnecessary down time.
2 from me .

He wasn't exactly good, but we have had far worse this season. Middle of the road 5 from me.

I thought he was great. Genuinely. Let everyone get on with it. Most of the Burton 'grappling' was a waste of time anyway, as their players were so slow. More like him, please.

The one thing the ref did do correctly was, when subbed, ask Josh Murphy to leave the field of play at the nearest point which meant Josh had to walk all round the pitch, but it meant he was able to enjoy the applause from three sides of the ground. Even Burton fans were applauding him.

It's easy to be nice about a ref when you have won by four, but if he had stamped down on Burtons agricultural tackling before he did then we might not have ended up with three injuries to key players and with just 10 men on the pitch. He gave us free kicks for some of their fouls, not all, but should have got his cards out much earlier. Poor

Last edited:
We've had worse than him but at one point I thought he forgot his cards. Pulling back an attacker trying to break away or kicking the ball into the stand after it was well out of play is an instant yellow card but not to this ref. Also thought it was a penalty and even the Burton commentators who were very good by the way said they've seen them given.

It's easy to be nice about a ref when you have won by four, but if he had stamped down on Burtons agricultural tackling before he did then we might not have ended up with three injuries to key players and with just 10 men on the pitch. He gave us free kicks for some of their fouls, no all, but should have got his cards out much earlier. Poor
This

Back
Top Bottom