Ex Player #11 Joey Beauchamp RIP

I agree that others perhaps have at least a similar claim, perhaps greater, to their contribution to our club’s achievements on the pitch over the years. But Joey was different. A local lad, blessed with exceptional ability, playing for his boyhood team - everything any of us ever dreamed about, regardless of who we support.

Add to that leaving to stop the club going under, not wanting to leave his home town, commiting what could seen as the ultimate sin of playing for your biggest rivals as a way out before returning home and being welcomed with open arms. There really aren’t many stories in football that contain that breadth of emotion and that sort of love for your club and for your place of birth, especially in today’s world.

I think that’s why there’s been so much respect and decency shown by other fans (especially those down the A420 to be fair). From the town end forum:

‘Condolences to all feeling Joey's loss.

Your heart was with that club as that of their fans was with you.

Your controversial period with us only served to embellish your status as one of the most loyal of OUFC's legends.

Rest in Peace.’

That’s why there needs to be a statue in my view.

Last edited:
I have to say, I am still really struggling to take this in. Reading the tributes on the club website prompts another huge wave of emotion. Though far away from Oxford now, I count myself as incredibly fortunate to have been present during the Joey Beauchamp era (parts 1 and 2). From the time he was cutting his teeth in the reserves to that final game at the Kassam Stadium. I can't add much to what's been said already. He was a player who had it all, and excelled in all the necessary facets of the game for a player in his position. He even scored headers! Wingers are notoriously prone to dips in form, but my memory of Joey is that he was amazingly consistent, and very rarely out of the game for long. And if he wasn't skinning a full-back regularly in a game, then there was always his impeccable dead ball delivery to fall back on. Denis Smith's comment about him 'saving the club' struck me. I must admit I had completely forgotten that. We'll never know if someone else would have stepped in with funds if we hadn't sold Joey to West Ham, but the thought that he (reluctantly, as I recall) went to West Ham to help save the club he loved elevates him above 'legend' status in my eyes. Perhaps that's myth making, but if ever Oxford possessed a mythical player surely it would be Joey. I'm convinced he would have made it in the premier league. Maybe he would have even pulled on the England shirt, but I doubt it would have meant more to him than the Oxford one.

I'm so sad you've left us, Joey, but thanks for giving so much pleasure to so many. Rest in peace, my friend.
P4280048.JPG

Spot On. A tragic end to the fragile life of an inspirational player, so sad.
But statues and retired shirt numbers? Hard-hearted maybe, but he has to be way behind Tank, Burtie and maybe even Beano and Briggsy in terms of what we actually achieved while he was playing.
No, he was way ahead in terms of ability. Head and shoulders. No other excited us more than Joey

After contemplating the loss of Joey, I did a lot of thinking and recalling memories over the weekend. We did so much together in our teenage years and as we grew up.

Just my view, he is a Legend unlike others. He was born in Oxford, loved Oxford, never left Oxford and died in Oxford. He was so made up when he got his YTS (we were up in Headington Park, I think it was David Fogg that announced it). I was so proud of him. I would watch him in Youth and Reserve games, and you could see he would make it.

It wasnt long before his debut vs Watford and also the Loan experience at Swansea where he did very well and got on well with Andy Legg.

Then screaming down the wing, putting the ball on Gilly and Matty's head from corners, getting revenge over Swindon, so many footballing memories.

So for me, he is the greatest as we didnt buy him, he isnt from elsewhere, we would even go and watch Oxford at The Valley, Wycombe (via a detour 1st to the White Horse).

I miss him and I wish I could have helped him more. I am speaking to his brother to see if there is anything I can do. If because of bloody Covid I would be on a plane back to the UK right now.

Miss you mate, why did you have to go so soon.......................................

Having had a day for it to sink in, it still feels hard to believe.

As mentioned, he was my absolute icon growing up, I wanted to be him.

I remember the first time I'd moved to Kiddy, going in to Ladbrokes to put my bet on the Grand National and there he was! I could barely get my words out. I was 27 at the time!

I remember one hot summers day my daughter was playing with his daughter on the play equipment of the six bells. We had a bit of a joke and a chat, what struck me is how incredibly shy he was, the least starry player I've ever encountered. From then on we shared an "alright Joey" "alright mate" when we saw each other. Not a friend by any means but still means the world to have been on recognisable terms with my childhood God.

RIP Joey.

That’s just how Joey was. Quiet, shy, happy to be in the limelight on the pitch but a wallflower off it. I was on a night out with friends some 10-12 years ago in Oxford and we saw Joey having a quiet pint with a couple of others. Typical of many on here, we were starstuck until one of our party braved going over to chat to him briefly. We said what a great player he was and how much we enjoyed watching him. Very modestly he replied ‘Thanks. It’s just nice to be remembered.’

And that’s all Joey Beauchamp ever wanted. He didn’t do badly from football but he turned down a hell of a lot more to stay within the comforts of home and what he knew. He must’ve been playing with depression – the West Ham episode showed it – but getting out there on the pitch either masked it or pushed it away far enough for him to express himself in a yellow shirt.

At times, I’ve tried to reconcile who or what Joey Beauchamp could have been in daft arguments or alternative scenarios in my own head. What if it had been Leeds or Man City who had come in for him and he’d had to have moved? What if it had been QPR or Chelsea and a manageable commute? What if the environment he moved to at West Ham not been the ultra-masculine world of Billy Bonds, John Moncur and Ian Bishop? Could he have played for England with the right move?

We knew he garnered interest from other places throughout his second spell with us. He spoke to Fulham when Keegan was sending them up the leagues. We agreed fees with Nottingham Forest (who Joey agreed to move to but they backed out) and Southampton (who Joey delayed on joining so they backed out). He could’ve gone to Reading in 2000 when Pardew was starting to make them good but stayed to join a hopeless fight against relegation. It was playing for Oxford that fulfilled him. For that, we’re forever grateful in a mercenary industry.

Last edited:
I have no words. Real sense of loss that I can't explain.

I feel guilty for having enjoyed Charlton match.

I can't wait to clap on Saturday. Rest in Peace Joey.

Last edited:
I wasn’t living in Oxford during Joey’s career and thought perhaps I never saw him play as I didn’t go to matches then. Having checked back to the three games I saw in the midlands in 1992/93 he played in two, against Birmingham City and Wolves, and scored in one.

We stayed up in 1991-92 with that wining goal from Joey at Tranmere on the final day but struggled again the following season
and a relegation fight was looming again.

We played Wolves at the Molineux in late February 1993 and 21 year old Joey was sensational - bagging the winner and
running Wolves ragged. It was a statement win at the time.

Another exquisite goal from Joey v Notts County at the Manor on the final day of 1993-94.
Instant control from Moody’s scooped pass the dummy and a left foot finish in the top bin for the winner.

Such touching pictures. The news hasn’t sunk in for so many, me included. I always thought he was one of our own.
He didn’t want to go to West Ham but did so to save the club. Feel for his family. Such a shock for his brother, Luke, and devastating for his wife and young children

I have to say, I am still really struggling to take this in. Reading the tributes on the club website prompts another huge wave of emotion. Though far away from Oxford now, I count myself as incredibly fortunate to have been present during the Joey Beauchamp era (parts 1 and 2). From the time he was cutting his teeth in the reserves to that final game at the Kassam Stadium. I can't add much to what's been said already. He was a player who had it all, and excelled in all the necessary facets of the game for a player in his position. He even scored headers! Wingers are notoriously prone to dips in form, but my memory of Joey is that he was amazingly consistent, and very rarely out of the game for long. And if he wasn't skinning a full-back regularly in a game, then there was always his impeccable dead ball delivery to fall back on. Denis Smith's comment about him 'saving the club' struck me. I must admit I had completely forgotten that. We'll never know if someone else would have stepped in with funds if we hadn't sold Joey to West Ham, but the thought that he (reluctantly, as I recall) went to West Ham to help save the club he loved elevates him above 'legend' status in my eyes. Perhaps that's myth making, but if ever Oxford possessed a mythical player surely it would be Joey. I'm convinced he would have made it in the premier league. Maybe he would have even pulled on the England shirt, but I doubt it would have meant more to him than the Oxford one.

I'm so sad you've left us, Joey, but thanks for giving so much pleasure to so many. Rest in peace, my friend.
View attachment 8227
Wow. That's some image. It's beautiful but disturbing.

The boy was a legend, more than a cult hero. Revisiting the stories of his departure to West Ham, how Bonds/Redknapp treated him in the MSM, the life decisions Joey made to try and be happy during his career, then the challenges he faced after. Would never be allowed to happen in this time. He was let down. This hurts and I am welling up typing it. I feel so sad for his family. Love to you all who shared him with us. x

Another exquisite goal from Joey v Notts County at the Manor on the final day of 1993-94.
Instant control from Moody’s scooped pass the dummy and a left foot finish in the top bin for the winner.
That is the 'typical' Beauchamp goal in my mind, the sharp change of direction putting a defender onto the floor and out of the game, then a composed finish. Boy could he change direction on a whim, no wonder so many defenders ended up on their backsides looking foolish.

Back
Top Bottom