Home Match Day Thread 13/04/2024: L1: OUFC v Peterborough

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not sure if it’s definitely the same person but he used to be a regular poster under the pseudonym ‘John Lennon’. He worked (I think?) for the club during the Eales era too. A long time ago he worked on the ‘Bring The Noise’ campaign coined by LoveandPride. It was around the time we tried moving a group of singers from block 19 to the back corner of the East Stand (closest to the North Stand). I think the original ‘bring the noise’ promo was Rotherham at home. But its been a while.
He was John Lennon on here and has done a lot to create a better atmosphere at the ground.

Can’t believe I missed all this, I’m in Italy. When was the last time we won three in a row by four or more goals? Actually who cares, playoffs here we come!

I’m still going around saying “5 - 0, FIVE Nil” to myself. Well done to everyone today brilliant stuff.

(And I would have taken a draw after hearing the team news.)

If you watch Rodrigues for the whole 90, you realise how good he actually is. Manipulates the ball so well, moves players out of position, works his B*****s off, always looks to play forward. Hard to believe there are some questioning his performance today. Been a wonderful signing.

Nice to see Mceachran get some well deserved credit. Have been flying the flag for him for most of the season, and today really showed what he is about. The importance of playing quick, one touch passes is incredibly valuable to a team and he's our best player at it, and it's really something that Cam/MM lack. Obvious concerns about his fitness and would get Cam back in for Tuesday if fit, but JMc has barely played at this level (always above) and you could really tell that today.
I have a real liking for Ruben. Never really bought it when people pointed the finger at him, I just felt he lost his way with the change in manager and between his lack of confidence and Des’ struggle to find a winning formula came a string of underwhelming performances.

But he’s another whose effort I think has always been there but can be confused with a drop in confidence. And to his credit he’s now adapting to a completely new role.

I worried he might be collateral damage this summer but I think Des likes him and the feelings are starting to appear mutual.

I thought he was fantastic today. Two great goals and his all round play was a joy to watch. Ran rings around their press at times. A real confidence player and when it’s there he’s a rare sight at this level. True grafter & a winner.

Don’t know what to say, I thought it was going to be a tough one today, then saw the team sheet and thought s**t, went in to a christening in wales, came out at 3.45 and we are 3.0 up, thanks Oufc for shoving it up the Welsh who were taking the P**s before the game.

I thought the pre-match balloons really got the crowd up for it.
A big shout out to those that organized the balloons, streamers and flags.
It must give the players a real boost when they walk out and see that.
Also we were loud and proud today, let's keep backing the boys all the way into the Championship.
A fantastic day all round.
Congrats to Des, the players and of cause the fans.

I have a real liking for Ruben. Never really bought it when people pointed the finger at him, I just felt he lost his way with the change in manager and between his lack of confidence and Des’ struggle to find a winning formula came a string of underwhelming performances.

But he’s another whose effort I think has always been there but can be confused with a drop in confidence. And to his credit he’s now adapting to a completely new role.

I worried he might be collateral damage this summer but I think Des likes him and the feelings are starting to appear mutual.

I thought he was fantastic today. Two great goals and his all round play was a joy to watch. Ran rings around their press at times. A real confidence player and when it’s there he’s a rare sight at this level. True grafter & a winner.
That’s because no player ever did down tools…

That’s because no player ever did down tools…
Let it go Steve.

If they didn’t, there were other reasons they weren’t playing anything like they did today and a number of the performances were beyond abject. They certainly didn’t look like they had tools firmly in hand and the reasons lie somewhere amongst Des and the players but anything anyone suggests you dismiss.

Nobody is anything other than delighted today. The point scoring is boring.

Oh man. I was just coming to the realisation that the Championship is the reward for winning the playoffs. When you think about the teams competing at the top of the Championship this week....... Shivers!
We beat Ipswich last season 😜

What a fantastic performance. the players growing into the system and growing ever more confident- playing with freedom and staring to trust one another and see how they can fit into the system and running off the ball was stupendous. Was great to see how Dale and Murphy swapped wings early in the first half -gave both backs even more of a torrid time. Murphy is out of this world. he's quick, he's strong he has great vision and control, and incredible reactions too. His hustling brought us the first two goals. he put in a good defensive shift today too. And he's very unselfish for a player of that quality. The chance he created for Dale....

Dale's control of the long ball out of defence is stupendous at this level- offers all kinds of threat. Should outs to Stevens, Long Brown and Leigh , was great to get another clean sheet. Mceachran has been rightly praised - I think Brannagan isn't a team player in the way McEachran is. But if Brannagan commits to this system then he can play in the championship with OUFC. Goodrham and Ruben both did well, and can do better in this system. Cummings did OK. and it was great to see the changes. I'm pleased McGuane came back and I hope there'll be a space for him too.

Their shot that hit the bar at 1-0 was I think a season defining moment, and probably a career defining moment too. if it had gone in at 1-1 it would have been game on. Peterborough are a good footballing side. but our luck held and once Josh made it two they were chasing the game, and then there was only going to be one manager,

Today was the day when Buckingham's Yellow Army was born. Are there any doubters left? how can there be after that?

Thanks Des. And what a great team performance!

Last edited:
Bodin's goal was brilliant, but the 4th was my favourite today.

Dale did brilliantly to pick up the ball, stand up their defense and lay it back perfectly for Stevens. He then sent in an utterly sublime first time ball, hard and fast to find RR arriving like the proverbial sack of bricks.

It was a thing of beauty.

It was beautiful to see a goal scored with a diving header, they seem so much rarer now. That cross was just perfection.

Back
Top Bottom