Home Match Day Thread +++ 13/8/2019 EFL Cup 1st Rnd: OUFC v Peterborough FC +++

I would like to see him ahead of Cadden before writing him off. As much as I like Sam Long, he is a little slow to offer an overlap which means that Hall has to slow the play down or gets doubled up on.

Forde does offer something different to the likes of Fosu but whilst busy I was a little disappointed with his end product. I do think he will adapt and we will see the player he's capable of, but didn't see that tonight.

But hey, 3 games in, 2 wins and a draw with 2 points robbed. An evolving team with more to come and we haven't had an easy fixture yet. I hope you're right with Forde and I'm right with Hall!

What, the Sam Long who I said we needed to change because he wasn’t good enough that many thought turned our season around last season? Never!

Thought Forde looked better last night, so hopefully he’ll kick on too.

Also thought Hall showed glimpses of his old self in the 2nd half, but just lacks that half a yard at the moment. Hopefully that will come with match fitness. And like you say, would be good to see him with Cadden.

The Class of 2019.

EB4k8M-XYAUEVic

The Class of 2019.

EB4k8M-XYAUEVic
If Brannagan can score 10 this season ( he is getting forward more and has a decent shot on him- as well as his 2 goals in the past week he scored a cracker at Solihull), he will be wanted by a number of Championship clubs.
Some player

Cam is definitely our most valuable player now. Hope he signs a contract extension.

Fergie Jr gives an up lifting press conference doesn't he? :sleep:

The game he saw doesn't correlate with all of the comments I've seen and what Rad Ox said.

Another solid display with some tidy football played. We lacked pace in the final third and without an out and out striker on the pitch we struggled to make it stick up top. As a result we didn't really generate much of a goal threat, so it was unsurprising that our goal came from a set piece. We really could do with another striker in the building sooner rather than later (hurry up Matty). A pacy winger (Ariyibi?) wouldn't go amiss either.

I thought Moore put in a decent performance against probably one of the toughest strikers in the league to play against, which obviously bodes well. It undoubtedly must help having the Dickster alongside him in such good form (thank God we got him to sign a new contract!).

Brannagan put in his third top class performance in a row, and two goals from three games is a great return from him. Long may it continue. I've always liked him, but often thought he could be a bit too erratic and headstrong, but this season he seems to have turned a corner and added a bit more calmness and measure to his play. Again, long may that continue.

I also thought Skykes has really good game. He suits the no10 role perfectly and I think, given the opportunity, will be an excellent player. We certainly have lots of competition in that area of the pitch.

Things are definitely seeming positive at the moment. If we can add 3/4 more players to this squad we could be in for an exciting season.

COYY
Interesting that this and previous poster rated Sykes highly. I thought he put in some great performances last season, but less impressed last night.
He seemed to give the ball away and turn in to trouble too often. Maybe lacking match sharpness and also I expect he is encouraged to be really positive and adventurous. But a few times last night I wanted him to play the simple ball and keep things flowing.
I absolutely rate him for the long term.

What, the Sam Long who I said we needed to change because he wasn’t good enough that many thought turned our season around last season? Never!

There is a huge difference between saying that Chris Cadden offers something different going forward and saying that Sam Long isn't good enough!

Defensively Sam was solid throughout the game and made a number of important challenges. Late on in the second half the ball was lost around the half way line of the left and it was Long who got back to take the ball cleanly when the 'Boro striker was through on goal. Going forward he offered an outlet to Hall and put a couple of decent balls across the box and was close to being through on goal.

The point I was making, which is lost on those who are blinkered, is that Cadden offers much more pace and that would allow Hall to move the ball quicker. The longer he held on to the ball, the less confidence he seemed to have and a number of his paces were more tentative than natural. The same argument could be made on the left where Ruffels and Forde were one paced and therefore struggled to make a real impact.

That doesn't mean that any of these players aren't good enough. Far from it.

A positive to take out of this game was the ability of KR to effect changes and still put out a profficient side. Freely admit to being disappointed when seeing the line up and, expected a loss. However, the team played as a team and showed that we now have a much better squad and players who are willing to put in the effort required. Yes, Hally looked off his game and Long is maybe not as good as Cadden but we still won and kept a clean sheet.
Looking at the frustration demonstrated by some of the Posh players, Toney in particular, we got under their skins. I think Ferguson has got some real problems. No cohesion in his side.
And, considering we have more players to come into the side and the expectation of one or two more signings, the football side of the club looks to be sorted.
Even the A34 being closed and a huge diversion on the way home couldn't detract from our enthusiasm!

I thought our lack of a proper striker was pretty glaring all game. Add that to a lack of pace up front and it was difficult at times for us to get the ball out of our own half. I thought that apart from a couple of mistakes that Moore did OK - I can see him and Dickie being an excellent long-term central defence. Can't say Forde caught my eye really. Hall was a passenger in the first half, improved in the second. First time I've seen Woodburn - he worked hard but (despite his pedigree) I thought he looked like what he is - a youngster finding his feet in senior football. What was Berkoe doing up front(ish) later on, I thought he was a defender? Branagan was the best player on the pitch IMO.
As for Peterborough - Toney and Eisa looked like they were competing with each other than actually playing together. The latter looks like a huge waste of money. Toney's inability to stand up for more than a minute at a time is now fairly amusing - he'd be a better player if he kept on his feet and stopped trying to ref the game!
Good luck to Napa for his scan today :(

Here are my thoughts about the game last night.

Pretty solid performance with all of the changes. Players worked hard, got the win, but there was a lack of quality and cutting edge at times.

Eastwood - 7.5 - two very good saves. Controlled his box well at corners. Kicking has improved this season, although there were a couple of dodgy ones!

Long - 7 - solid defensively. Offers nothing going forward when compared with Cadden.

Dickie - 7.5 - another excellent game. Better in the air against Toney than on Saturday.

Moore - 7 - pretty solid and won some strong tackles and headers. Dallied on the ball a couple of times which almost cost us. Mousinho will still be playing on Saturday.

Ruffels - 7 - solid again but like Long, offers nothing going forward.

Hanson - 7 - his best game for us. Won the ball well and some very good passes. However, misplaced too many simple passes to be considered a starter.

Brannaghan - 8 - MOTM. Excellent energetic performance. Range of passing is brilliant and keeps us going.

Sykes - 6.5 - had flashes of the player he could be with direct running. Faded out of the game and didn't have any end product.

Hall - 6 - lots of endeavour but no confidence. Kept cutting inside and no end product.

Forde - 6 - looks very similar to Henry. Not very quick but has some quality on the ball. No end product.

Napa - won't give a score. Worked extremely hard. The tackle on him was atrocious and came after the whistle had gone. Hope he recovers quickly.

Woodburn (for Napa) - 6.5 - energetic performance and worked hard. No end product again.

Henry and Berkoe - helped to see the game out.

• React
Reactions: UTM
enjoyed my first visit this season and looks like we've carried on where we left off.
if we put out that team (or similar) we'd have an average season, but with the stronger players and others to come then who knows? pretty exciting.
I've always liked the Dickster but playing on the right he's immense, and once Moore settles in we've got a strong centre back pairing.
Brannagen seems to be better every time I've seen him and reckon we'll struggle to keep him.
hope Napa is ok, was a horrible tackle.
and well done to KR. could easily have gone by now but really looks like he's building something special.
can't wait for my next game - Burton??

just read elsewhere that Kenny Jackett was there last night watching Brannagen!! anyone know anything?

I thought our lack of a proper striker was pretty glaring all game. Add that to a lack of pace up front and it was difficult at times for us to get the ball out of our own half. I thought that apart from a couple of mistakes that Moore did OK - I can see him and Dickie being an excellent long-term central defence. Can't say Forde caught my eye really. Hall was a passenger in the first half, improved in the second. First time I've seen Woodburn - he worked hard but (despite his pedigree) I thought he looked like what he is - a youngster finding his feet in senior football. What was Berkoe doing up front(ish) later on, I thought he was a defender? Branagan was the best player on the pitch IMO.
As for Peterborough - Toney and Eisa looked like they were competing with each other than actually playing together. The latter looks like a huge waste of money. Toney's inability to stand up for more than a minute at a time is now fairly amusing - he'd be a better player if he kept on his feet and stopped trying to ref the game!
Good luck to Napa for his scan today :(

I believe Berkoe can play left midfield as KR had him playing there in pre-season. Napa would have dropped to left wing if he hadn't been sadly injured, based on KR's comments about him considering Napa the back up left winger prior to the injury.

I don’t think he put a foot wrong, I think Robbo won’t be so worried if Moore played season t not

just read elsewhere that Kenny Jackett was there last night watching Brannagen!! anyone know anything?
Let’s just say they got 5 million of their player that sold to Brighton and they spent 2 million on John Marquis leaving 3 million...... nope that’s not enough

I would like to see him ahead of Cadden before writing him off. As much as I like Sam Long, he is a little slow to offer an overlap which means that Hall has to slow the play down or gets doubled up on.

Forde does offer something different to the likes of Fosu but whilst busy I was a little disappointed with his end product. I do think he will adapt and we will see the player he's capable of, but didn't see that tonight.

But hey, 3 games in, 2 wins and a draw with 2 points robbed. An evolving team with more to come and we haven't had an easy fixture yet. I hope you're right with Forde and I'm right with Hall!
Sorry but when Long has the ball Hall came closer and more inside of Long rather than make a run for Long to pass to.

I
Bit as you say 3 games in no defeat that’s good

• React
Reactions: UTM
Yes , great to be 3 games in and not losing and looking like with a strong lineup!

There is a huge difference between saying that Chris Cadden offers something different going forward and saying that Sam Long isn't good enough!

Defensively Sam was solid throughout the game and made a number of important challenges. Late on in the second half the ball was lost around the half way line of the left and it was Long who got back to take the ball cleanly when the 'Boro striker was through on goal. Going forward he offered an outlet to Hall and put a couple of decent balls across the box and was close to being through on goal.

The point I was making, which is lost on those who are blinkered, is that Cadden offers much more pace and that would allow Hall to move the ball quicker. The longer he held on to the ball, the less confidence he seemed to have and a number of his paces were more tentative than natural. The same argument could be made on the left where Ruffels and Forde were one paced and therefore struggled to make a real impact.

That doesn't mean that any of these players aren't good enough. Far from it.
Tbh mate I would have taken Hall of and replaced him with Cadden I think that would have been an improvement. Hall is a good player but he is far from what we know he is capable of doing.

Back
Top Bottom