Away Match Day Thread 17/02/2024 L1: Wycombe Wanderers v OUFC

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If Bureyโ€™s not injured, not sure what heโ€™s done to merit being dropped entirely from the squad? Would have thought away from home when youโ€™re going to be up against it a bit is exactly the kind of game where heโ€™d be of value.

Still a good lineup though. Fancy us to go well. Wycombe are w**k this year, think weโ€™re all too burned by the Ainsworth years to see them for what they really are this season.

Last edited:
We've been bobbins defending set pieces all season, so no Moore has me thinking this may be a difficult day for us.

Thorniley must be frustrated. He's by far the more experienced and versatile out of him and Negru. Perhaps Des didn't want 2 left-footers? Or thought there's no need for a ball-plating defender against Wycombe?

Edit : Just seen above screenshots. Makes a lot more sense now.
Itโ€™s not a difficult choice. For starters playing Thorniley means either playing him on his wrong foot or breaking up Brown and Leigh which is a good partnership.

But letโ€™s be honest Thorniley hasnโ€™t made a claim for a place when played. He looks below par and maybe someone we signed in haste that actually isnโ€™t as good as we thought. Des probably also expected Vokes to play who wouldโ€™ve been rubbing his hands together at the prospect of standing on Thorniley all afternoon.

That is an odd take considering this season alone we have had to use the sub keeper.
It probably is odd but I'd rather just take the risk. Burey could change the game a lot more than Eastwood can and over the course of a season would be subbed on a lot more than once and will most probably result in more than the single point being gained by having Eastwood there (not good value for 1/7 of the bench all season imo). If you're asking your players to take risks on the pitch then set the example yourself.

It probably is odd but I'd rather just take the risk. Burey could change the game a lot more than Eastwood can and over the course of a season would be subbed on a lot more than once and will most probably result in more than the single point being gained by having Eastwood there (not good value for 1/7 of the bench all season imo). If you're asking your players to take risks on the pitch then set the example yourself.
You have seven subs and still wouldn't choose to have a keeper? If you can't change or cover for most scenarios with six outfield players I think you need to be asking serious questions.

Still a good lineup though. Fancy us to go well. Wycombe are w**k this year, think weโ€™re all too burned by the Ainsworth years to see them for what they really are this season.
Supposedly played very well in defeat against Bolton last time out. Comfortably beat Peterborough and Cheltenham away before that. This will be a very tough game.

Maybe Eastwood will drop from the bench when Smythe is back to cover.

Good to know Wycombe think we landed Johnson Clarke-Harris!

Attachments

• IMG_1852.jpeg
    IMG_1852.jpeg
    605.2 KB · Views: 24
Happy enough with Negru in at rch,
Just needs to stick to defending as heโ€™s proved he can do previously.
When he tryโ€™s to be clever, has been when heโ€™s let himself down.

Back
Top Bottom