Away Match Day Thread +++ 18/08/2018 Portsmouth v OUFC match day thread +++

That wouldn’t be enough to explain Robinson’s insane player picks, unless there’s lead in the water...

Because one of the big issues seems to be that our new signings are struggling for fitness and to understand our system. Consistency in training facilities (and supposedly top class ones for physios) would help the squad gel together.

One of the reasons why we should be reverting to pretty much the side that toured Ireland. Mackie, Smith, and Hanson might be top quality, but they don't seem to have learned what their roles are.

I would start obika and bring on Smith when the game opens in the last 30. Smith hasn't done anything wrong imo as our midfield is creating pretty much zero.

Mackie has to be benched. Has offered nowt

Henry has to start. Pretty much our only player who creates chances.

Mousinho needs to play CD and bench Nelson or dickie. Both have struggled.

Brannigan needs to play further up the pitch. He isn't a holding midfielder.

Full backs struggle with any kind of pace or ball over the top. Any out of contract players we can bring in?

The players say for 45 mins discussing the game afterwards, on the field

Also after speaking to Nathan, KR was at pains to say that they had practiced and videotaped and gone over set pieces, but during the game the players did the opposite, apart from one.

Do both parties talk to each other??

Just for disclosure I'm really not happy with the start with have made this season and there are plenty of things that need addressing.

However the abuse Robinson is receiving on here are silly. The name calling and the insults.

He's clueless, doesn't know what he's doing, fatboy etc.

Just a reminder that this guy built a team that finished 5th two seasons in a row in this league then finally got them promoted as runners up.

I'm not saying he should be let off or his decisions shouldn't be questioned but he deserves a bit of respect.

As for the Appleton pining, the first year up to about March, 80% of this forum would have not been bothered if he got the sack including myself so let's be a bit more honest with our memories.

I'd like to know if Robinson intends to pick Mackie and Garbutt for Tuesday night. Because if he does (despite having a season ticket) I am tempted to save 3 hours driving and quite a lot of petrol money by not dashing down to Grenoble Road though rush hour traffic!

I'd like to know if Robinson intends to pick Mackie and Garbutt for Tuesday night. Because if he does (despite having a season ticket) I am tempted to save 3 hours driving and quite a lot of petrol money by not dashing down to Grenoble Road though rush hour traffic!
maybe not Garbutt. Looks shell shocked to me.

I heard that we have an on site editor in the stands who edits incidents into a small video package at half time to show the players. Is that a new thing this season?

Our set piece routine is a total embarrassment too.
Taking a player out of the game so he can hold the ball aloft like simba, then place it down just as the free kick taker connects with it. More often than not it doesn't make it past the first man. 3 straight defeats they can knock that b*llocks off ASAP. :unsure:

Our set piece routine is a total embarrassment too.
Taking a player out of the game so he can hold the ball aloft like simba, then place it down just as the free kick taker connects with it. More often than not it doesn't make it past the first man. 3 straight defeats they can knock that b*llocks off ASAP. :unsure:

How are you supposed to get a clean contact on the ball when you don't know exactly where it's going to be until the last second?

I'm assuming ttactic is that the opposition defence is baffled enough at the routine to switch off from marking. It certainly confuses the hell out of me.

The most frustrating thing today was that we turned up intent on grinding out a draw. We were time-wasting from the 1st minute and had seemingly had no desire whatsoever to get the ball down and play. Sides like Fleetwood and Wycombe do that, not us.

Robinson continues to make some strange selections and substitutions. What has Mackie done to keep his place in the lineup? He's either badly unfit or completely lost his legs. Offers no width, pace, creativity, or goal threat. Chucking on all three subs at one was desperate, too.

The whole defence looks so shaky. Garbutt is a perfect example of why players shouldn't be content sat in the reserves of a PL team as a youngster. He's 25 now but looks about 17. Dickie had his worst game in a yellow shirt. Nelson is still nowhere near his best. McMahon was better today, but just hasn't got the legs or pace to be an attacking threat.

Hanson looked tidy enough, but I'm not sure if I'd describe him as a powerhouse! He's barely 5'11'', let alone 6'3''. Brannagan still struggled to get on the ball and run things. I'm not sure it's ever going to work for him in that position.

I've already spoken about Mackie. Baptiste and Browne both did okay, but had so few options when they did manage to get the ball. It was very much a case of having to do everything by themselves.

Smith huffed and puffed but had no quality service. The ball was pumped up in the air to him time and time again, and he did he beat to battle, but it was so easy for the centre backs.

Henry did really well when he came on, and probably deserved a goal. He's got to start at no10 on Tuesday. Obika did reasonably well. Should've scored when he hit the post, or squared it to Henry. Was unlucky though I guess. Ruffels didn't do an awful lot.

As I say the most frustrating thing about today was that we turned up with no real intention of attacking or getting the ball down and playing. We played with such a small team mentality. We've been there and won multiple times in recent years, are they really that far ahead of us now that we owe them that much respect?

I'm far from wanting Robinson out, but questions are rightfully being asked of him now. When he joined he said he wanted pacy wingers. Well we haven't got one pacy winger at the club. He said he knows how he wants his team to play. Well I'm glad he does, because it doesn't seem like the players do.

I normally like to be positive but I've really seen nothing yet to be positive about. I guess the one glimmer of hope is that we haven't yet been able to field our strongest 11, so perhaps things will change when the likes of Holmes and Hall are back are fully fit. But so far, it seems we have problems in almost every area of the pitch, and I'm not sure if two players will really be able to change that.

All that said, maybe we'll win comfortably on Tuesday and we'll all be feeling a bit more positive again. But after the first three league matches, it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel right now.

We've had some poor opening runs before but for some reason this feels particularly bleak. There was no reason to believe it would be a disaster in pre season but it's just like there's no plan at all. What's bizarre is this isn't how we normally operate OR how Robinson normally operates. I'm sure the usual boring gits will blame Tiger but I don't suppose he actually does much in terms of the football.

I don't think we're in danger of going down, but I don't think it's going to be much fun this year unless we "gel" within a fortnight

I haven’t seen one game yet, but, have been following this forum and everything that’s going on at the club, one thing that doesn’t stack up is the fact that Robinson had various targets lined up towards the end of last season (If we all remember him saying) and yet everything then seemed to change to last minute.com which has clearly had a huge effect on our preparation- Just to add everyone seems to have it in for unclekip, I don’t know the guy to be fair, however, he does seem to have a point, it does seem a bloody shambles at the moment and not necessarily all of the managers fault, what’s annoyed me is the fact that we’ve let, 2-3 keys players go as in Rothwell, Ledson and Carol, I want Oxford United as a football club (And a new owner supposedly backing us!) to be convincing these players to stay with us as we are aiming for championship/promotion - If we keep letting our best players go then we will NEVER progress, every season new team after team, not good form and whilst I’m at it they are replaced with loanees, not even our own players, hopefully Karl can turn it around but as we all know football is a results business and 6-7 straight losses on the bounce you never know MAPP might be back, hope it can be turned around PDQ.

The most frustrating thing today was that we turned up intent on grinding out a draw. We were time-wasting from the 1st minute and had seemingly had no desire whatsoever to get the ball down and play. Sides like Fleetwood and Wycombe do that, not us.

Robinson continues to make some strange selections and substitutions. What has Mackie done to keep his place in the lineup? He's either badly unfit or completely lost his legs. Offers no width, pace, creativity, or goal threat. Chucking on all three subs at one was desperate, too.

The whole defence looks so shaky. Garbutt is a perfect example of why players shouldn't be content sat in the reserves of a PL team as a youngster. He's 25 now but looks about 17. Dickie had his worst game in a yellow shirt. Nelson is still nowhere near his best. McMahon was better today, but just hasn't got the legs or pace to be an attacking threat.

Hanson looked tidy enough, but I'm not sure if I'd describe him as a powerhouse! He's barely 5'11'', let alone 6'3''. Brannagan still struggled to get on the ball and run things. I'm not sure it's ever going to work for him in that position.

I've already spoken about Mackie. Baptiste and Browne both did okay, but had so few options when they did manage to get the ball. It was very much a case of having to do everything by themselves.

Smith huffed and puffed but had no quality service. The ball was pumped up in the air to him time and time again, and he did he beat to battle, but it was so easy for the centre backs.

Henry did really well when he came on, and probably deserved a goal. He's got to start at no10 on Tuesday. Obika did reasonably well. Should've scored when he hit the post, or squared it to Henry. Was unlucky though I guess. Ruffels didn't do an awful lot.

As I say the most frustrating thing about today was that we turned up with no real intention of attacking or getting the ball down and playing. We played with such a small team mentality. We've been there and won multiple times in recent years, are they really that far ahead of us now that we owe them that much respect?

I'm far from wanting Robinson out, but questions are rightfully being asked of him now. When he joined he said he wanted pacy wingers. Well we haven't got one pacy winger at the club. He said he knows how he wants his team to play. Well I'm glad he does, because it doesn't seem like the players do.

I normally like to be positive but I've really seen nothing yet to be positive about. I guess the one glimmer of hope is that we haven't yet been able to field our strongest 11, so perhaps things will change when the likes of Holmes and Hall are back are fully fit. But so far, it seems we have problems in almost every area of the pitch, and I'm not sure if two players will really be able to change that.

All that said, maybe we'll win comfortably on Tuesday and we'll all be feeling a bit more positive again. But after the first three league matches, it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel right now.
Great post.

Tuesday nights line up should be.

Mitchell
Norman,Nelson,Mousinho,Garbutt
Hanson
Whyte,Baptiste,Holmes
Henry
Obika.

It's not the fact that we are losing (which is bad enough) it's the manner of the defeats which is disturbing. We didn't give Barnsley a game and we didn't give Portsmouth a game either. Fleetwood was underwhelming as well. If we have aspirations of any sort this season then we should be competing. Maybe KR will turn things around. We can but hope.

Back
Top Bottom