Current Player #18 Marcus McGuane

I for one am shocked that he has never been able to find another club.
Do we know if he tried? He got a huge pay-off from Derby and after many years of constant injury, I think he's just decided to try something new.

Do we know if he tried? He got a huge pay-off from Derby and after many years of constant injury, I think he's just decided to try something new.
Probably not. He knew he was finished before he even turned up here for a second time.

A ball carrying midfielder has been the one thing we have missed since he got injured, in the games we have struggled to get going (not many but the fact that we would be in the playoffs with just a few more points shows how important fine margins are) you just felt that having someone who could pick the ball up in the middle of the park and get at teams would of opened the opposition up.

To sign him on this early is very positive to, you would hope we can get our business done earlier this pre season and avoid the bad starts that have handicapped us the last couple of years, maybe end up thinking about the top two than play offs then.

The George Thorne digs are unnecessary in my view. He cost us virtually nothing, nearly all of his wages were picked up by Derby or his insurance when out injured. He got paid off by Derby but returned to us unpaid in order to try and find a way back into the game. It didn't work out but he left the club with nothing but praise for Robinson and everyone behind the scenes who made him feel at home. That will not go unnoticed by other clubs, managers or players who see Oxford as a club that nurtures and supports players at all levels. That helps us to bring in players like Marcus McGuane on loan in the first place, and is clearly a big factor in him wanting to stay.

Great news for us and the player, and I think the three year contract is a real show of faith from Tiger and the board in not only McGuane but also Robinson too, we know how keen Robbo was to bring him back to the club....

Whatever happens this season, to be already building for the future and sticking to our model is a great sign. Bring on some more to fill in the glaring gaps in our squad (and a LB if Ruffs does go) and who knows what next season will bring, whatever league we are in! ;)

A ball carrying midfielder has been the one thing we have missed since he got injured, in the games we have struggled to get going (not many but the fact that we would be in the playoffs with just a few more points shows how important fine margins are) you just felt that having someone who could pick the ball up in the middle of the park and get at teams would of opened the opposition up.

To sign him on this early is very positive to, you would hope we can get our business done earlier this pre season and avoid the bad starts that have handicapped us the last couple of years, maybe end up thinking about the top two than play offs then.
I admire your optimism, but I'd settle for a season of consolidation in the Championship next year. Maybe push for the Premier the year after.

Can't wait to see @Mellowyellow saying that he has watched a lot of him in reserve games and he's useless! Or others to scream about him being an injury prone wannabe, Barcelona failure or one of Robinson's mates!!!

Top signing, at a great time that shows real intent. Christ, even Kips happy!!!

Great first sentence, makes real sense. Actually a really good signing, as I have mentioned previously, it's what we've been missing in the midfield, and who knows how things might have been different if we hadn't lost him to injury.
I'm sure there's a lot on here waiting to see you come out with your usual "I'm in the know about...." diatribe come the summer, ending up with (more) egg on your face than normal.
Was it last summer when after some real gaffs, you went quiet for some time.... 🤣

The George Thorne digs are unnecessary in my view. He cost us virtually nothing, nearly all of his wages were picked up by Derby or his insurance when out injured. He got paid off by Derby but returned to us unpaid in order to try and find a way back into the game. It didn't work out but he left the club with nothing but praise for Robinson and everyone behind the scenes who made him feel at home. That will not go unnoticed by other clubs, managers or players who see Oxford as a club that nurtures and supports players at all levels. That helps us to bring in players like Marcus McGuane on loan in the first place, and is clearly a big factor in him wanting to stay.
Were people having a dig? My statement about him trying something new and being able to do so due to his Derby severance was just a statement of fact. If I’d had his injury record, I’d fancy a new career. Very good luck to him, he must be hugely frustrated that injuries held back his massive potential.

Were people having a dig? My statement about him trying something new and being able to do so due to his Derby severance was just a statement of fact. If I’d had his injury record, I’d fancy a new career. Very good luck to him, he must be hugely frustrated that injuries held back his massive potential.
No, you certainly weren't having a dig but plenty of others have.

Were people having a dig?
I don’t think so. I think I was quite clear in implying that it was daft to keep trying to play somebody whose medical report was basically a photograph of a bomb crater, printed on a red flag big enough to cover a swimming pool. He’s either quietly retired or not even a Conference team has been willing to take the risk, because his body is completely shot. Sometimes the biggest favour you can do for somebody on a human level is to take the decision out of their hands. A fighter will always try to get up; that’s why it’s the people in the corner who are trusted with the towel. Health > a game.

Good luck to him in whatever comes next, and to get the thread back on track, good luck to Marcus.

• React
Reactions: MJB
Back
Top Bottom