Home Match Build Up 19/04/2024: L1 - OUFC v Stevenage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cummins
Stevens Long Brown Leigh
Brannagan
Dale Browne Goodrham Murphy
Harris

Ticket sales for this are slightly better than I thought they would be.

At midnight we were a handful over 7,500 home GA sales. To compare with Lincoln at midnight on Sunday we're just over 200 ahead. That game ended up with 8,473 home fans, so it might be reasonable to assume somewhere around 8,700 home sales, but it's not as predictable as my normal Saturday 3pm forecasts.

I have absolutely no idea how many Stevenage fans to expect, as there's no information from any of the usual channels. They have taken some surprisingly good (for them) followings, but are equally capable of turning up with 86 followers.

One interesting statistic is that we are currently averaging 9,015 for home games. That means we need a total crowd of 8,670 to average 9,000 for the season. I would hope we can surpass that milestone at the very least. I'll do a count this afternoon, which will give a better indication.

At midnight we were a handful over 7,500 home GA sales. To compare with Lincoln at midnight on Sunday we're just over 200 ahead. That game ended up with 8,473 home fans, so it might be reasonable to assume somewhere around 8,700 home sales, but it's not as predictable as my normal Saturday 3pm forecasts.

I have absolutely no idea how many Stevenage fans to expect, as there's no information from any of the usual channels. They have taken some surprisingly good (for them) followings, but are equally capable of turning up with 86 followers.

One interesting statistic is that we are currently averaging 9,015 for home games. That means we need a total crowd of 8,670 to average 9,000 for the season. I would hope we can surpass that milestone at the very least. I'll do a count this afternoon, which will give a better indication.
Yes Stevenage average around 500 away, but their promotion charge seems to be over now.
The home fan number should be higher than Tuesday due to an increase in family sales ( no school the day after).
Hopefully near to 9 000 crowd?

Off the top of my head without checking anywhere, is this highest season average since 86/87?

We'll start slow, but will get a goal midway through the first half and go on to win 3-0.

I think we’ll win this one. I felt we’d win it even before Evans left - who, by the way, might be a pantomime villain but what a fantastic job he’s done with them on the field. God knows who he’s upset behind the scenes, mind!!

I suspect the players will be gutted but let’s not be naive, when Manning left us we got a very spirited display from our players that clearly came from a place of hurt. So we need to be wise to that.

I think it’ll be a relatively routine 2-0 win and all down to the last day.

Why on earth would any locally based United fan not go to this?

I think we’ll win this one. I felt we’d win it even before Evans left - who, by the way, might be a pantomime villain but what a fantastic job he’s done with them on the field. God knows who he’s upset behind the scenes, mind!!

I suspect the players will be gutted but let’s not be naive, when Manning left us we got a very spirited display from our players that clearly came from a place of hurt. So we need to be wise to that.

It might all be over this weekend if we win and Blackpool and Lincoln lose

Just a quick heads up to any supporters using the OX3 bus for the game, only one bus is running again i believe so maybe full by the time it gets to botley again so may be worth getting alternative transport if you get it in botley and want to be sure of getting to the game.

Lots of rumours Stevenage end that he’d fallen out with a few players, so that may have a baring.

Evans has done a brilliant job for a club on 3,500 attendances. Annoying, yes, but successful all the same. He was bound to jump ship if the right offer came along. Hopefully it works in our favour.
I know the Stevenage scout quite well and when we spoke just before Christmas he said Evans would be off to Rotherham then. When we spoke last Saturday and I queried why he didn't move then I was told Evans felt a debt of loyalty to a group of players who had over performed for him.. obviously Evans having received the report on our Peterborough victory realised their hopes of the playoffs were dead so he jumped.

Lots of rumours Stevenage end that he’d fallen out with a few players, so that may have a baring.
I didn't see much of that on their forum and given the way he has revived a lot of middling journeyman careers, I think I can guess who people would sympathise with. Unless you, of course, have some inside line, which seems very unlikely. Didn't he sign a 3 year contract extension about two months ago?

Bigger club, bigger wages, some small emotional attachment, seems a typical managerial mercenary move.

I didn't see much of that on their forum and given the way he has revived a lot of middling journeyman careers, I think I can guess who people would sympathise with. Unless you, of course, have some inside line, which seems very unlikely. Didn't he sign a 3 year contract extension about two months ago?

Bigger club, bigger wages, some small emotional attachment, seems a typical managerial mercenary move.

Fair play. I actually felt the second half of your final sentence was unduly harsh.

I didn't realise I was capable of feeling things like that where Evans is concerned.

Agent Evans.

Great timing, dear lord the gods seem to be shining down on us.

You can see it can’t you. Get to the final against Bolton, and Goodwin comes off the bench to score a last gasp winner.

Agent Evans.

Great timing, dear lord the gods seem to be shining down on us.

You can see it can’t you. Get to the final against Bolton, and Goodwin comes off the bench to score a last gasp winner.
I can picture you sat at home typing this message, hash pipe in hand, bottle of whiskey next to you..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom