Home Match Day Thread 19/04/2024: L1 - OUFC v Stevenage

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Cam Brans shooting and set pieces are a disaster. Always. He really should be given the iron fist on all that except issues centered heโ€™s superb . Heโ€™s like a pressure relief valve for the opposition
Yep. Hate to say it because I love the man, but he shouldn't be allowed near free kicks, and his shooting from distance is speaking for itself. It might look spectacular the one-in-fifty times it comes off, but it IS a pressure relief valve when he fires high and wide.

Barnsley are on a shite run of form would rather have them in it on the last day of the season. Even if Blackpool win tomorrow a win on the last day and we will finish above to them.
You want less teams able to make the playoffs not more.

Somehow @Leysboy and @Royalstandard74 went missing then
What a bunch of lilylivered losers we saw tonight! I hope we never hear from @Leysboy or @Royalstandard74 again

If you look at those Match threads, you will see I posted positive comments.

If you donโ€™t like it when posters post something against your views, perhaps this is not the place for you.

Engage! rather than post stupid things like vultures. You make yourself look foolish.

No. But I would wager they usually make the play offs.

Des has not done "brilliantly" to keep us in a play-off hunt. That's a gross re-writing of history.

Not saying he has.

Just donโ€™t think a team second at the start of November are nailed on for the top six either, far to early in the season to have an idea of how this season would of panned out with any real certainty.

Look at the OUFC seasons at this level in the mid 90s, in back to back seasons we both fell away dramatically and rose up the league to come second.

Not saying he has.

Just donโ€™t think a team second at the start of November are nailed on for the top six either, far to early in the season to have an idea of how this season would of panned out with any real certainty.

Look at the OUFC seasons at this level in the mid 90s, in back to back seasons we both fell away dramatically and rose up the league to come second.
You weren't I know, my reply was to @headingtonoldboy!

Has it been a total disaster? No. But I refuse to think he's done a good job because we are still in a shout of the play offs. It's been a poor job really, with a few games as outliers.

You weren't I know, my reply was to @headingtonoldboy!

Has it been a total disaster? No. But I refuse to think he's done a good job because we are still in a shout of the play offs. It's been a poor job really, with a few games as outliers.

I think you are entitled to that opinion and itโ€™s not unarguably wrong, for me there are enough caveats (not having a back room team etc) for him to be given a summer and see how he goes.

Frustrating. To play ok but drop two crucial points against a team who had zero shots on target is an outlier.

Having said that last night's game was a great example of where we're at as a team. Classic 433 attacking formation with two out and out wingers but without the personnel or depth to adapt when the opposition sets up to frustrate us. With Stevenage giving up two (sometimes three) men to nullify Murphy and Browne we *should* have had a world of opportunity to build from the back and control the centre. We didn't. The game was, yet again, a midfield failure.

I can completely understand why Des turned to Henry and Bodin to try and bring some discipline and shape to things. Goodrham had been playing his role really well all night and barely received a single useful ball from teammates so was frustrated and making daft fouls every couple of minutes. Ruben was doing what Ruben does: wandering around the place looking to get involved but without any shape around him becoming a liability. I'm sure Des would have preferred to have other younger versions of Jamo and Billie but he doesn't.

We had 26 shots last night. Nearly all of them were speculative. A large proportion started with us bipassing midfield and spraying long range diagonals to one of the wingers who then had to manufacture a worldie or wait for the rest to push up. On top of that every time a full back picked up the ball they were faced with either a backward option or a speculative and demonstrably ineffective clip up the wing because no outball in the middle. That then led to our wingers dropping back to find some space and become the outball. A domino effect and we turned back into the team that was struggling so badly up until the Bolton wake up call.

Whatever happens in the next week the summer will need a major reshape to become the team we want to be.

In the meantime let's keep the faith.
Goodrham and Rodrigues had a total lack of movement, basically just standing in a line for the most part. They need to be moving all over the place to give us passing options and create space for others, standing still helps no one.

The problem with yesterdays result is not that I donโ€™t think other teams will drop points. I was more confident getting a win against Stevenage than I am against Exeter. Exeter have been in good form and felt if we won yesterday we would go to Exeter not needing a result. Now we know we are likely to need a win at Exeter and think some are underestimating that task.

I think you are entitled to that opinion and itโ€™s not unarguably wrong, for me there are enough caveats (not having a back room team etc) for him to be given a summer and see how he goes.
I'm an overemotional fan at the end of the day. Even approaching 30 I still get down about defeats! Who knows what next season will bring, knowing we have a new stadium to move into will feel just as good as a promotion to me.

Football fans really should feel very disappointed with the standard of officiating.

Last night, two penalties against us before the third was awarded.

The linesman in the first half looking directly at the incident is a high calibre official, in and around Premier League football.

The one on Tuesday night too.

Our season ended (possibly) by two horrendous decisions

Football fans really should feel very disappointed with the standard of officiating.

Last night, two penalties against us before the third was awarded.

The linesman in the first half looking directly at the incident is a high calibre official, in and around Premier League football.

The one on Tuesday night too.

Our season ended (possibly) by two horrendous decisions
Shouldnโ€™t have to put up with it really, itโ€™s professional sport with a lot riding on it.

You want less teams able to make the playoffs not more.
Not in this scenario and the differing form of the teams. If Lincoln win today and Barnsley win, it gives us less chance next week even if we win as we only have one team we could overtake. If Blackpool and Lincoln win today it means we have a better job of getting in the playoffs next week than if Lincoln win and Blackpool lose today, if we do our job and win. Ideally I would want Lincoln to lose today and Blackpool to win but as it is unlikely Lincoln will lose against Cheltenham then I want there to be as many teams as possible we can overtake.

Draws all round, and weโ€™d be no worse than we were yesterday. Even better.

So much flirting going on, get a room, or give a rest will ya?

We were very disappointing in the final third last night, and our lack of striker options has cost us. We were just missing that final 10% that would've got us the three points. Incredibly frustrating.

An incompetent moron for a ref didn't help either, but the less said about that half wit the better.

But we really need to learn how to deal with these stubborn, anti football, spoiler sides better.
We tend to start these games quite slowly and try to feel our way in, but against these spoiler sides, I think we should be more aggressive from he start, up the urgency and get an early goal, as this would cause them to have no choice but to open up and try to come at us, in an effort to get back in the game, and would leave themselves open, giving us more opportunities to pick them off, in exactly the way the previous few games proved.

We missed an opportunity last night, and it's no longer in our own hands, we can only hope now, and make sure we do our bit and get the three points next week.

But for the love of god, all you squabbling folk sound like school kids on the playground, now give it rest, ya bunch of Rodneys

I'm an overemotional fan at the end of the day. Even approaching 30 I still get down about defeats! Who knows what next season will bring, knowing we have a new stadium to move into will feel just as good as a promotion to me.

Nothing wrong with that, not having a go at you, can see where you are coming from but was just putting a counterpoint.

Hopefully the results go are way over the next week and this is all wasted chatter anyway.

Back
Top Bottom