Home Match Day Thread +++ 20/08/2019 L1: OUFC vs Burton Albion+++

Better team won. Burton well and truly came and did a job on us, they looked like scoring every time they came forward.

Taylor was isolated, only looked dangerous on the break. I think the 4-3-3 we played on Saturday suits us better than the 4-2-3-1 tonight.

Makes Saturday's defeat even harder to take. You need to win when you play well as it won't always happen (tonight).
And Robbo, for all his enthusiasm and good qualities, is always likely to get tactically out thought as was the case tonight.

Sorry but Rob Hall is finished. Cant carry him all season. He is miles off pace and shocking on the ball, every time he is introduced. Cant afford sentiment in a sport like this.

I think that might be a bit extreme/harsh, however I do agree that he shouldn't be in the match day squad currently. He would have been better served playing for the U23's today and getting 90 minutes under his belt. Criminal that Sykes (Northern Ireland international) has been omitted for the squad.

Having watched on ifollow I saw similarities with our performance at Rangers: if we are going to play with overlapping full backs we need TWO defensive midfielders - Brannagan shouldn't be one of them as he offers so much more - to protect us. Also some poor decisions with passes in the last third. However, credit must be given to Burton, and Fraser in particular, as they played in a disciplined way with plenty of attacking intent. Man for man better than us. Deflated after the anticipation before the game but we can hopefully learn from this.

We lose tonight ....... forum in melt down ..... only pacified by 16 game unbeaten run ..... followed by Robbo out chants when it comes to an end. Or something like that.

Relying on this forum for updates etc - in Bibione, Italy at present.

Actually, we may well win tonight as the chap who has borrowed my ST has an excellent record when attending!

Ok, will lend my ST to someone else next time. Actually, never going on holiday during the season again!

Bibione has been rubbish for oufc. Will be following Saturday's game from Lake Maggiore so maybe our luck will change.

Finally, cue our 16 game unbeaten run ?

A new dawn?
Too much of the old Oxford.
Defence poor, passes going everywhere, giving Burton too much space, and players losing the ball too easily.
Yes, Burton had done their homework, but therefore why hadn't kr done his on a team who had won away twice this season?
I wonder how kr thought they might set up to play tonight.
Anyway onto Bristol Rovers with a talented squad with good depth.

We didn’t move the ball fast enough. Why so slow to get it out wide? Can’t believe we looked so dodgy at the back.

Not convinced Mousinho should be starting over Moore. Gorrin was poor. Hall really looks to have lost it.

Positive points were Cadden an. Brannigan and to a slightly lesser extent Forde and Taylor

I think that might be a bit extreme/harsh, however I do agree that he shouldn't be in the match day squad currently. He would have been better served playing for the U23's today and getting 90 minutes under his belt. Criminal that Sykes (Northern Ireland international) has been omitted for the squad.
Whats harsh is a fully fit Sykes being out of the squad, while we continue to donate minutes to Hall when he is CLEARLY miles away from being good enough. This is a results business and he isnt doing a single thing to improve our chances on the pitch. He has been shocking, every game he has featured in. We are not a charity. If I dont perform at work, I will be fucked off, rapid. The same SHOULD apply here...

I feel the issue was that the first few games were built on being defensively solid, with good transitions to the front three.

We get a proper striker in, and we're trying to play tiki taka from the 6 yard line. Burton were the ones who looked like they had a game plan and played it well. Constantly looking to go over the top of our slow centre backs.

We didn't deserve anything out of that match. I hope we analyse for Saturday and get back to doing the basics properly.

Whats harsh is a fully fit Sykes being out of the squad, while we continue to donate minutes to Hall when he is CLEARLY miles away from being good enough. This is a results business and he isnt doing a single thing to improve our chances on the pitch. He has been shocking, every game he has featured in. We are not a charity. If I dont perform at work, I will be fucked off, rapid. The same SHOULD apply here...
Sykes has been excellent whenever selected, if I was him I would be peed off especially with Thorne also presumably ahead of him.

Didn't catch the match as in Liverpool working.

Seems strange to be calling for Mousinho out of the team after his great display with Dickie at Blackpool, I thought they were playing really well together. And Ruffles had a great game last time too, always dangerous with a cross and got that goal.

Maybe you're all jumping to conclusions a bit? Surely there's a different reason it all went awry as it seems strange to have polar opposites three days apart?

Back
Top Bottom