Current Player #23 Josh Murphy

He needs a song

How about to the tune of Madness’s It Must be Love
“it must be Josh Wo o
It must be Josh
Nothing more nothing, less Josh is the best”

Something I've not seen mentioned much is how good he is with his weaker foot. Today he played a superb 50 yard ball to Dale and he regularly has good shots or puts good balls in with his left.

I can't recall a player for us who hits it so cleanly with both feet and that's such a useful skill to have.

This is our best hope.

He's basically had five challenging years, including the first year with us, his year at Preston and most of his time at Cardiff.

Finally, everything is clicking again for him with a manager he clearly enjoys playing for. You'd have to think there's a decent chance he wants to stay and try and keep this going, even if the money might be a little better elsewhere. But footballers.....money......you never know.

I think that's three standing ovations on the trot, isn't it? We gave him one when he came off against Fleetwood, the Burton fans game him one at their place, and then today -which was his best performance of the lot. It says plenty when the whole right hand side of the opposition's defense gets subbed off at halftime!!
I don't mean to P**s on anyone's chips, but, I think we have to be honest, he'd be pretty mad not to go to a Championship club (when the offer inveitably comes in) in the summer, and I don't really see why he wouldn't. The way he's playing at the moment, regardless of whether we go up or not, it would be a no-brainer for any midtable or above Championship club to take him on on a free transfer, and they'll be offering him a lot more than we can (Championship or not). He's out of contract, has one last chance, realistically, at a big money-spinner earner, and has to make the most of it. There's no real reason for him not to go - it's not as if he's building his career and would benefit from staying with a manager who is nurturing him like Des has for another year - this is the final big money move.

Mirror interview is good (without being particularly revealing) - he comes across as a level, driven guy. Very glad we've been able to see the best of him (before, as I say, I would expect his inevitable departure this summer). Always felt he got unfairly maligned - I think he (and Des, of late, although I've no wish to count chickens) have recently been good lessons to us as football fans not to leap to derisory judgments about footballing personnel. They've both been great ambassadors for what showing a little faith can do.

He needs a song

How about to the tune of Madness’s It Must be Love
“it must be Josh

4. God So Loved – We The Kingdom

Well, come all you sinners
Come find His Mercy (swap MURPHY)
Come to the table
He will satisfy
or...

5. You Are Good – Israel & New Breed

Lord, You are Good
And your mercy (MURHY) endureth forever
Lord, You are good
And your mercy (MURPHY) endureth forever

last one..

10. Hallelujah For The Cross – Chris McClarney

All my shame was met with mercy (MURPHY)
Now Your mercy (MURPHY) will be my song
And oh, the glory
Oh, the power of the cross

Last edited:
Josh Murphy would have earned around £5m from his contract at Cardiff. I believe he's on around £275k a year with us, and would have been on similar wages for some of his time at Norwich. So we could estimate career earning of over £6.5m.

It's easy to say when it's not my money, but Josh Murphy doesn't need a big pay day. He need to play football at a club where he is happy.

He has that at Oxford. And a competitive, but not silly, contract offer would hopefully be sufficient to keep him, and I'd be looking at a 2 year plus one contract to tie him down as soon as possible.

Josh Murphy would have earned around £5m from his contract at Cardiff. I believe he's on around £275k a year with us, and would have been on similar wages for some of his time at Norwich. So we could estimate career earning of over £6.5m.

It's easy to say when it's not my money, but Josh Murphy doesn't need a big pay day. He need to play football at a club where he is happy.

He has that at Oxford. And a competitive, but not silly, contract offer would hopefully be sufficient to keep him, and I'd be looking at a 2 year plus one contract to tie him down as soon as possible.
I think if we get to the Championship we’ve got a very good chance of retaining him. If we stay in League 1 it’ll be a bit more difficult. But, as Jerome said on RO, the importance of him having a ‘home’ where he’s loved and appreciated by the fans can’t be underestimated. Des said after the game that Josh is perfect for the style he wants to play and that he loves having him around so there’s no doubt we will do everything we can to keep him here.

4. God So Loved – We The Kingdom

Well, come all you sinners
Come find His Mercy (swap MURPHY)
Come to the table
He will satisfy
or...

5. You Are Good – Israel & New Breed

Lord, You are Good
And your mercy (MURHY) endureth forever
Lord, You are good
And your mercy (MURPHY) endureth forever

last one..

10. Hallelujah For The Cross – Chris McClarney

All my shame was met with mercy (MURPHY)
Now Your mercy (MURPHY) will be my song
And oh, the glory
Oh, the power of the cross
A bit religious …?

How about this:
They call him Murphy, Murphy, faster than lightning,
No-one you see, is smarter we sing
And we know Murphy, lives in a world full of wonder,
Flying there-along, along the wing!
🐬🐬🐬🐬

If he’s been sensible with his money then perhaps we’ve got more of a chance to keep him, and then he won’t simply go with the biggest offer. He must have been on a good whack at Cardiff for the 4 seasons, plus would have got a signing on fee etc. A few clubs may also be put off by the fact that in recent seasons he has only really clicked at Oxford.

If he were to stay and we had a full season or 2 of his current form then he potentially turns into one of our clubs all time greats. It’s an amazing thing to think after his first 18 months with us, and Des deserves huge credit.

I am thinking that we are in with a decent chance of keeping him, just have that nagging feeling that he is settled and enjoying his football.

I do think the fans can make a huge difference, surely the reception he got leaving the pitch yesterday helped. I hope he gets subbed late on in the remaining games, so we can all give him the individual ovation he deserves.

I think he will go to the championship, the money difference will be to much, but at least we can rule out one club he won’t be going to.

Song for Josh Murphy - ain’t nobody by Shaka khan.

Ain’t nobody like Josh murphy
Make me happy
Make me feel this way

perhaps he can sign a contract and we can cash in if he gets a better offer.

Can anyone else offer him what Buckingham can, footballistically speaking? Arsene Wenger used to say that when you are dealing with young men who have everything the best thing that you can offer them is the chance to play great football.

Anyway great to see him enjoying himself and shwoing what he's capable of - let's just say this thread makes fascinating reading

It will be interesting to see what happens.
He was on trial at Reading prior to joining us, where his agent thought he'd agreed a deal to join them in the Championship
It didn't happen for some reason so he came to us on trial and was given a 2 year deal
After a frustrating first season it's turned out well this term

I don't mean to P**s on anyone's chips, but, I think we have to be honest, he'd be pretty mad not to go to a Championship club (when the offer inveitably comes in) in the summer, and I don't really see why he wouldn't. The way he's playing at the moment, regardless of whether we go up or not, it would be a no-brainer for any midtable or above Championship club to take him on on a free transfer, and they'll be offering him a lot more than we can (Championship or not). He's out of contract, has one last chance, realistically, at a big money-spinner earner, and has to make the most of it. There's no real reason for him not to go - it's not as if he's building his career and would benefit from staying with a manager who is nurturing him like Des has for another year - this is the final big money move.

Mirror interview is good (without being particularly revealing) - he comes across as a level, driven guy. Very glad we've been able to see the best of him (before, as I say, I would expect his inevitable departure this summer). Always felt he got unfairly maligned - I think he (and Des, of late, although I've no wish to count chickens) have recently been good lessons to us as football fans not to leap to derisory judgments about footballing personnel. They've both been great ambassadors for what showing a little faith can do.
This is post of the season for me. Bitter sweet reality and a timely reminder for all of us not to judge too quickly. I really hope Josh stays but the above makes more sense

His wife is hopefully settled in Oxfordshire and will they want to move with a new child? There are worse places to live than Oxford / Oxfordshire.

I might be clutching at straws

I think we’ve got a pretty good chance of keeping him, whatever division we’re in. He’s been brilliant for the last 2-3 months, but before that he was very disappointing for 18 months. He’s been in the Championship before, and didn’t exactly tear it up while he was at Cardiff. Not so sure a Championship club will take a punt on him.

It will be interesting to see what happens.
He was on trial at Reading prior to joining us, where his agent thought he'd agreed a deal to join them in the Championship
It didn't happen for some reason so he came to us on trial and was given a 2 year deal
After a frustrating first season it's turned out well this term
If only we’d given him two years with an option of a third in the club’s favour!

Just look at Shandon Baptiste. He's now 26 and so should be peaking but he's a relatively unknown but well remunerated non playing footballer. How will he look back on his career achievements?

I bet he wishes he's had more moments like that goal against West Ham

Back
Top Bottom