Away Match Day Thread +++ 24/08/2019 L1: Bristol Rovers FC v OUFC +++

Certainly not after 5 games of a new season, with a new squad.

I'm not saying such questions won't need to be asked if it goes on for too long, but give Robbo and the squad time, it's not even September yet!

I’d agree. If he had built up credit from the other spells but so far his record is not good enough. You can’t keep making excuses about new squads etc because this is the case at a lot of clubs who perform better.

I’ve maintained throughout that I don’t believe he’s good enough to take the club forward, and that’s despite the good (ish) end to last season.

This is not a knee jerk to three losses in a week, it’s a reasonably considered view on what I believe is an underperforming Manager.

I didn’t go today but have just looked at highlights, their first goal was very good but that aside the other 2 could have been avoided, Moore didn’t get off the floor and we can’t tackle well enough, we need some grit and determination, didn’t look as tho there was any passion

Two things of great annoyance today, firstly, the team gave away a perfectly good start to sink into a disjointed and mistake filled team lacking the basics.
Second, the t**t who was sat next to me and the wife who thought that made me his best mate and therefore ok to bore me to death with his inane drivel about the game, the ref, the fans etc. etc. If I made a comment to my wife about the game he seized on that as though I was talking exclusively to him. Jeez! get a life and a wash and some deodorant and some respect for other peoples conversations.

Thirdly, yes, ok I said two, thirdly, getting out of Bristol by car. What a nightmare. Does everyone in Bristol have to drive in the same direction?

f**k! I hate watching the team lose, I really, really do.

What a week... f*****g hell!
It sure feels like a new season that’s for sure?!
Where to start...?
Don’t bother, let’s pretend it never happened eh?
f**k!!
Draw a line under it and move on?
——————-f**k———————

We are a decent side just taking time to get going.
We will put it right.

We are so weak defensively it’s embarrassing. It just comes down to desire at this level and winning 50/50’s which we are appealing at. Not enough strength and height in our forward, not enough bite in midfield and just sub standard defenders. Let’s all face it - Ruffles is and never was a left back and we should have strengthened there. In January we’ll be without any decent full backs which is a major problem coming up. Joke considering all the bluster from Robinson and hyperbole from a lot of fans thinking we had a promotion team.. I hope we realise Robinson isn’t the answer to getting to the Championship

Not strong enough in central midfield, not quick enough all over the pitch, not as fit as our mediocre opponents, who will struggle to finish higher than the bottom third of the table.

Really quite a worrying performance. I would excuse Dickie, Moore and Cadden from the general morass.

Well on top till they equalised and Taylor went off though. And then it was like a light switch went off. Saw to pick out players but Hanson was useless.

Very unpleasant viewing conditions, saw a couple of people suffering from heat stroke.

And then topped off by a rambling interview with Robinson who seems to be complaining about too many games and thinks the Carabao Cup is an irritation. Not impressed.

Not a great day to be oufc supporter; what with the injuries as well.

Hall did look a little more mobile in his cameo I guess.

Baptiste and Agyei can’t start quick enough for me.

First half an hour we were popping passes for fun and deservedly got the breakthrough with Woodburn’s goal.
Rovers could not live with us and could only hoof the ball forwards to Clarke-Harris. Only one team playing the
football.

Losing Taylor reallly messed us up - Mackie was poor for me , seemed unable to run and never in the right
place when balls came into the box. We took our foot of the Gas (literally) after the opener and in the heat
started to lose the 50/50’s and Rovers got a foothold. Upson’s Strike was a goal as soon as it left his boot.
Buoyed by this and with the U’s in retreat Clarke-Harris outjumped Moore for the second.

Oxford never looked convincing around the box in the second half, huffed and puffed and allowed Rovers
to walk through a paper thin defence ( Brannagan missing a tackle on Clarke) to set up the sub Nichols
with Moore looking unconvincing with the challenge but we were all over the place.

Another poor defeat - self inflicted in parts - and the team lasted barely an hour again.
Coventry looks big game now. Hanson didn’t do enough for me, Woodburn tired dramatically leaving Brannagan
with too much to do. The only pace seems to come from Cadden and Fosu was very good in parts.

Hopefully Thorne, Agyei and Baptiste will be available soon.

Driving back through parts of East Bristol afterwards was like the Bronx circa 1977.

First half an hour we were popping passes for fun and deservedly got the breakthrough with Woodburn’s goal.
Rovers could not live with us and could only hoof the ball forwards to Clarke-Harris. Only one team playing the
football.

Losing Taylor reallly messed us up - Mackie was poor for me , seemed unable to run and never in the right
place when balls came into the box. We took our foot of the Gas (literally) after the opener and in the heat
started to lose the 50/50’s and Rovers got a foothold. Upson’s Strike was a goal as soon as it left his boot.
Buoyed by this and with the U’s in retreat Clarke-Harris outjumped Moore for the second.

Oxford never looked convincing around the box in the second half, huffed and puffed and allowed Rovers
to walk through a paper thin defence ( Brannagan missing a tackle on Clarke) to set up the sub Nichols
with Moore looking unconvincing with the challenge but we were all over the place.

Another poor defeat - self inflicted in parts - and the team lasted barely an hour again.
Coventry looks big game now. Hanson didn’t do enough for me, Woodburn tired dramatically leaving Brannagan
with too much to do. The only pace seems to come from Cadden and Fosu was very good in parts.

Hopefully Thorne, Agyei and Baptiste will be available soon.

Driving back through parts of East Bristol afterwards was like the Bronx circa 1977.

Excellent summary, hopefully Fosu will be available next week, he did get a battering today and pretty worrying about Taylor. To be honest, I'd forgotten about Agyei.

Can I just say that there was no disquiet after the Blackpool match.

It's been some poor displays the past couple of matches, but the tide shouldn't be turning 180°.

We'll definitely have to reassess our gameplan. But it is simply a case of getting back to basics at the back, and having our front players work on their chemistry. It will come together, and we do have the man in charge to get it done.

Can I just say that there was no disquiet after the Blackpool match.

It's been some poor displays the past couple of matches, but the tide shouldn't be turning 180°.

We'll definitely have to reassess our gameplan. But it is simply a case of getting back to basics at the back, and having our front players work on their chemistry. It will come together, and we do have the man in charge to get it done.

A great goal and injury to Taylor changed the game for us today. We could, with a bit more luck and a bit more fight, have got 6 points from the last 2 Saturdays. We're miles ahead of where we were at this stage last season and I'm sure it won't be long before it all clicks. Luton started badly last season too, so really no need to despair just yet.

Two things of great annoyance today, firstly, the team gave away a perfectly good start to sink into a disjointed and mistake filled team lacking the basics.
Second, the t**t who was sat next to me and the wife who thought that made me his best mate and therefore ok to bore me to death with his inane drivel about the game, the ref, the fans etc. etc. If I made a comment to my wife about the game he seized on that as though I was talking exclusively to him. Jeez! get a life and a wash and some deodorant and some respect for other peoples conversations.

Thirdly, yes, ok I said two, thirdly, getting out of Bristol by car. What a nightmare. Does everyone in Bristol have to drive in the same direction?

f**k! I hate watching the team lose, I really, really do.
Always a mistake taking the other half

• Haha
Reactions: Ian
I said last season Robinson wont lead us to success as long as hechasxa hole in his a**e and unfortunately, its proving true.

Give this squad to a half decent manager.....

Given that Robinson has just signed a new deal, I suppose we must gear ourselves to many more months of Kip dripping on about the team, the signings and the manager. ?

I said last season Robinson wont lead us to success as long as hechasxa hole in his a**e and unfortunately, its proving true.

Give this squad to a half decent manager.....
To me the mark of a good manager is the ability to spot and fix problems. Appleton was great at that and I think Karl is pretty good. The way we play depends on hard work and I don’t think they’re fit enough yet.

To me the mark of a good manager is the ability to spot and fix problems. Appleton was great at that and I think Karl is pretty good. The way we play depends on hard work and I don’t think they’re fit enough yet.
Give this squad to Appleton and its a whole new ball game.

Oh. Mo Eisa seems to be doing ok also, having been ruled out as useless by some of our more cranially vacant fans....

Back
Top Bottom