Current Player #25 Will Goodwin

I’d be surprised if we get 90 mins out of him in a single game for the rest of this season. Seems like he’s made of glass, which is what Cheltenham fans have said too. Let’s hope a summer break and proper pre season helps us start to see a return on a very big investment next season.

Goodwin for Cheltenham was the best physical L1 striker I have seen play against us since Hirst was playing at this level for Ipswich and Portsmouth.

You didn't see Sam Smith, at our place, for Cambridge then. Gave our defence, McNally especially, a torrid afternoon - and scored twice.

Last edited:
Suppose Browne is in line up if Goodwin is doubt for set up etc and or fitness

What’s his injury?
I'm sure they said our originally there was a quad injury that Cheltenham hadn't picked up. If that's the case, they can be pretty serious and take ages to get right again. Pretty sure @SteMerritt said he had some thing similar not so long back and it took a long time to heal.

At least Goodwin has youth on his side.....

I'm sure they said our originally there was a quad injury that Cheltenham hadn't picked up. If that's the case, they can be pretty serious and take ages to get right again. Pretty sure @SteMerritt said he had some thing similar not so long back and it took a long time to heal.

At least Goodwin has youth on his side.....
To be fair, Im in my 50s and was treating it with a bag of frozen peas instead of having a professional physio department looking after me 🤣

In seriousness, Quad injuries can take a while and it is easy to aggravate it if you try to come back too quickly.

To be fair, Im in my 50s and was treating it with a bag of frozen peas instead of having a professional physio department looking after me 🤣

In seriousness, Quad injuries can take a while and it is easy to aggravate it if you try to come back too quickly.
Yeah, but a cryo-chamber is just a big old fancy bag of peas, really :ROFLMAO:

I spoke with Goodwin a couple of weeks ago. He said that he is sure that if he had remained at Cheltenham then he would have played several more games as he's convinced that they wouldn't have completed the scan or prioritised his recovery as we have. He was very complementary of Des and the backroom staff who have taken all pressure off him returning.

He was hoping to target yesterday as an opportunity to make the bench if the playoffs had been assured by then. I don't know if he's been held back on whether Des didn't want to risk a space on the bench yesterday, but hopefully we may see him on the bench for one/both of the Peterborough games.

But what is certain is that we won't see a return of players coming back before they're ready and going off injured again. Things are definitely improving behind the scenes even if we're yet to see the full benefits yet.

I spoke with Goodwin a couple of weeks ago. He said that he is sure that if he had remained at Cheltenham then he would have played several more games as he's convinced that they wouldn't have completed the scan or prioritised his recovery as we have. He was very complementary of Des and the backroom staff who have taken all pressure off him returning.

He was hoping to target yesterday as an opportunity to make the bench if the playoffs had been assured by then. I don't know if he's been held back on whether Des didn't want to risk a space on the bench yesterday, but hopefully we may see him on the bench for one/both of the Peterborough games.

But what is certain is that we won't see a return of players coming back before they're ready and going off injured again. Things are definitely improving behind the scenes even if we're yet to see the full benefits yet.

Glad to see this. Wonder if Luke Taylor coming in was a direct result of Des looking. To end the cycle of injuries to certain players? I think it’s the right approach to take, if we can.

Glad to see this. Wonder if Luke Taylor coming in was a direct result of Des looking. To end the cycle of injuries to certain players? I think it’s the right approach to take, if we can.

I think so, and I also think that it shows that there are long term plans for Buckingham and the club. If it was playoffs or bust then most managers would have thrown Goodwin in to the team and f**k the consequences. Des was prepared to put the needs of the player, and our ability to go into next season as strong as possible, above his own success. That has to be a positive.

Back
Top Bottom