Ref Watch 29/03/24 - L1: Shrewsbury v OUFC - Sam Purkiss

How was his performance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
let the game flow, maybe a bit too lenient, in the main had a decent game... haven't forgiven him for the home game V Vale* ( vindictive I know) , so a 6 from me. Throwing away 2pts wasn't Purkiss' fault, if wedve (somehow) managed to win, Idve been in a much better post match mood, and prob scored him 7

Last edited:
I thought he was very good. Didn't let the home crowd influence him, didn't miss anything much that I saw, kept the game flowing, wasn't fussy and wasn't card happy. I know we have had our problems with him in the past, but you can only judge on what you see. If he reffed like that every week, I'd be happy to have him every week.

I have him a 7.

Prob should be an 8 but I'm not in the mood to be fair.
So there!

Let the game flow, let a lot go but at least it was for both sides. Probably gave us quite a few dodgy decisions which is why people are scoring him so high, not sure a neutral would be giving him 9s!

let the game flow, maybe a bit too lenient, in the main had a decent game... haven't forgiven him for the home game V Vale* ( vindictive I know) , so a 6 from me. Throwing away 2pts wasn't Purkiss' fault, if wedve (somehow) managed to win, Idve been in a much better post match mood, and prob scored him 7

I honestly don't even think the Vale game was one of the worst refereeing performances of the season.

Though it was hard to see, Harris seemed to have deserved his red (he admitted he was stupid, and we didn't appeal it). And Leigh definitely did.

He was very good today. He's actually one of the refs that I worry about least when I see that he's doing one of our games......

Totally random with what foul he was going to give a free kick for and for both sides.

Ref was excellent. One of the few at this level who don’t referee by guesswork. Let a few challenges go that I thought looked fair (think we got the majority of his decisions!) but other refs would have blown for just assuming there must have been a foul in it.

Bet the Shrews fans are being less than complimentary...every decision seemed to go our way. Including a shout for a penalty that I've definitely seen given following one of Brown's comedy cavalcade minutes.

Aside from that, the game flowed nicely I thought and he was always up with play. A decent ref for sure.

I was going to give him a 7 but, in injury time the goalie was time wasting, so quite correctly the ref booked him, but to book him he walked 30 yards from the centre circle towards him, showed him the yellow card and walked 30 yards back. This in itself is wasting time which did NOT get added on at the end. At that point in the match, 2 minutes to go, the booking was relatively irrelevant. So the goalie actually gained extra wasted time for wasting time and overall benefitted.
There should be a standard 1 minute for time wasting.

Head injuries, I do fully appreciate the potential seriousness of such injuries, but the ref cannot stop play if a player is down with his hands close to his head. Yesterday ref stopped play when we were on the break, Shrewsbury player was down following a collision, tackle, whatever but it was the body that took the impact of the collision, not the head. Therefore the ref needs to look at the type of collision before stopping play, if the body takes the main impact of the collision, then play on until ball goes out of play but if it is obvious the head was the first point of contact then stop play and play should stop immediately.

Head injuries, I do fully appreciate the potential seriousness of such injuries, but the ref cannot stop play if a player is down with his hands close to his head. Yesterday ref stopped play when we were on the break, Shrewsbury player was down following a collision, tackle, whatever but it was the body that took the impact of the collision, not the head. Therefore the ref needs to look at the type of collision before stopping play, if the body takes the main impact of the collision, then play on until ball goes out of play but if it is obvious the head was the first point of contact then stop play and play should stop immediately.

I agree that you don't want to do anything to encourage players to simulate head injuries and game the system.

But the incident yesterday, the Shrewsbury player got absolutely poleaxed. A fair challenge, but a very heavy one - the guy clearly wasn't cheating. Yes, the initial impact wasn't to the head, but the ref can't know if he's banged his head on the player or ground on his way down. Had no choice but to pull that one up and check on the player......

Back
Top Bottom