Away Match Day Thread 29/03/24 - L1: Shrewsbury v OUFC

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’m saying there is a reason MM is a league one footballer.

He’s got flaws but it was proven over a decent period with the right coaching he can be turned in to a top league one midfielder.

I think there is a good player in there, an asset for this club however it will require a good manager to unlock it. He’s only played 100 or so senior games. Compare that to Brannagan who’s at 250.
But the point he’s making is it shouldn’t need unlocking. He’s 26, he shouldn’t need baby sitting, he’s someone you’d hope would step up but instead it seems he’s thrown his toys out the pram

But the point he’s making is it shouldn’t need unlocking. He’s 26, he shouldn’t need baby sitting, he’s someone you’d hope would step up but it seems like he’s thrown his toys out then pram

Most L1 footballers need ‘baby sitting’.

That’s why they’re at this level. If they were capable of unlocking their best on a more regular basis by themselves then they wouldn’t be at this level.

Most L1 footballers need ‘baby sitting’.

That’s why they’re at this level. If they were capable of unlocking their best on a more regular basis by themselves then they wouldn’t be at this level.
Maybe the younger guys, not at 26. He’s been a pro for nearly 10 years.

Last edited:
And he’s played 8 and half thousand minutes of League One football.

That’s about 95-96 full 90 minute games. (around 2 full seasons)

He’s certainly no senior pro in my opinion.
He’s been at the club longer than most. He should be setting an example imo.
And I can think of numerous players over the years, many less experienced than MM at this level and lower, who busted their gut and didnt need coddling. Regardless of how we were doing or the manager.
Josh ruffels, Ryan ledson, Sam long, Cameron Brannagan Beano, Andy whing …the list goes on. Some players are professional, some aren’t. MM clearly isn’t.

Last edited:
Out of interest, was it *that* bad from Cumming today? The shot came through an absolute load of bodies, and he must have seen it late. (I hadn't really thought to blame him particularly before coming on here, but it's definitely making me wonder now.)
Right in the corner as well, maybe just touching the post as it went in?

Buckingham?

How about the players that have been on lucrative, multi year contracts and who’ve failed every year??

Eastwood
Long
Brannagan
Brown
Browne
Bodin
Murphy

Blame the manager as much as you like, but there is a culture shift needed in this group and I for one am here for it.

In the summer, CB has 12 months left. If somebody offers a reasonable 6 figure price I’d be taking it and making him the first of a number of senior changes at playing level.
Brannagan is the one player we have to keep over everyone else.

Last edited:
Right in the corner as well, maybe just touching the post as it went in?

Just because it went in the corner doesn’t mean he shouldn’t save it. It looked to me like he got there alright but the ball went through or over his fingers/hand. It was a softish shot too, he’s got to adjust and get a good sight of that even if it was coming through a few bodies. Just got to stick with him until the end now and the day the seasons over just send him back and write it off as a terrible and costly signing.

I’m thinking he’s been bombed out. Was taken off at half time v Bolton and not been included since.
He was a back up reserve for the Port Vale game I believe e.g. travelled with the squad just in case someone got injured out of the starting line up/subs, but then didn’t make it in the end. Not sure if he travelled yesterday or not though?

Was he involved in the international games at all?

But the point he’s making is it shouldn’t need unlocking. He’s 26, he shouldn’t need baby sitting, he’s someone you’d hope would step up but instead it seems he’s thrown his toys out the pram
I’m not sure as he seems to have spat his dummy out at something.

Just catching up been working all day then went on the P**s.
Here comes my summary.
YESSSSS
FFS b****r
Oh at least we got a point
Ffs ref was s**t
Have we signed a striker yet?
Have I missed anything?
No!

And the ref was good for us yesterday.

I quite like Dale but beginning to see why two other L1 clubs didn’t want him - he doesn’t get past his full back too often. The effort is unquestionably there but has to be more end product. Looks like a poor man’s Alex Macdonald at the minute. He deserves to be in the 18 but he has to produce better to become a nailed on starter.

Brannagan, Murphy, Goodrham, Dale, Moore, Rodrigues… all talented.

The rest are past it or bang average at best at this level imo.

They are all decent L1/potentially bottom half championship players, but we have only one footballer who, on his day and fully fit, could cut it for a top level championship side and that’s Marcus Browne. Maybe Kyle Edwards but haven’t really seen enough of him.

Well Des isn’t fairing too well over the marathon, would you say? He’s had two thirds of a season and now boasts the fullest squad we’ve had all season and i can only give you one positive about the team at the moment and that’s that our wingers can go past the typical full back at will. Beyond that I’m stumped, and is that even anything to do with the coach?

I’d suggest that either Manning was very, very good or Des is very, very not. But don’t worry I’m realistic about the chances of many people facing up to either.
Normally I would be livid about our result's lately, but sorry Des, Manning, Robinson, Tom ,Dick & Harry means nothing to me at the moment.
I've been supporting Oxford United a very long time & I'll tell you what is very concerning,way above a manager.
We're not getting relegated so don't worry about that.
Anyone in there right mind would worry about rising debt, year in year out ,only to get worse. A stadium that looks like it's getting less likely by the day. A former chairman that's totally taking the P**s, even if we do get the stadium it still don't guarantee anything ,as we've seen before.
So for me it's stadium & debt , before moaning about Des & the team .

I’m saying there is a reason MM is a league one footballer.

He’s got flaws but it was proven over a decent period with the right coaching he can be turned in to a top league one midfielder.

I think there is a good player in there, an asset for this club however it will require a good manager to unlock it. He’s only played 100 or so senior games. Compare that to Brannagan who’s at 250.
Time to move him on, our midfield is not strong enough.

Back
Top Bottom