Home Match Day Thread +++ 31/08/2019 L1: OUFC vs Coventry City +++

Whyte may have had a mixed end product but I’d still start him in any Oxford team even if every other player you mentioned was fit...
Well you can't..he chose to leave...so id take the other 5 all day at the moment..no doubt whyte was quick but apart from two games last year he mostly wasted it...

What one Covpot witnessed yesterday on their forum.

Oxford still the dirty buggers from last season, we haven't learnt how to see games out.

looks like Nelson has been a bigger miss than we thought.
wonder if KR will stick with Moore Dickie on tuesday to give them more game time together?

wonder if KR will stick with Moore Dickie on tuesday to give them more game time together?
Dont think nelson has been missed at all...we are not sitting somone defensively in front of the back 4 like we did last year...

At times last season we conceded just as many.
It's getting the balance. So bringing in Long for Cadden would probably help defensively but would reduce our attacking options

I hope so, but put Mous between back line and midfield might tidy things nicely

I hope so, but put Mous between back line and midfield might tidy things nicely
I reckon its time to try that again. Mous is really good in that role.
Gorrin has some good attributes but he does do some daft things. Silly free kick for their first goal yesterday. And he never tracked Godden into the box for the second. He was near Godden when he layed it off but lost him. Looked like he was following the ball.
Our midfield need to defend much better. As Mackie said 'we need to defend as a team' its not all the defenders fault!!

If there is to be a staff reshuffle as Robbo alluded to then I’ve got a feeling Mousinho might be ready to take a back room role. He was out in the technical area two or three times yesterday with Robbo and a couple of times Robinson went to Mous for a word. It didn’t look to me like it was anything to do with him going on as a sub either, Robinson looked to be valuing what they were chatting about.

I reckon its time to try that again. Mous is really good in that role.
Gorrin has some good attributes but he does do some daft things. Silly free kick for their first goal yesterday. And he never tracked Godden into the box for the second. He was near Godden when he layed it off but lost him. Looked like he was following the ball.
Our midfield need to defend much better. As Mackie said 'we need to defend as a team' its not all the defenders fault!!

Gorrin is a class above Mousinho in that role. Far more mobile and a better reader of the game hence the interceptions he makes. Godden was around the 6 yard box when he got in front of Dickie to head in, how far are you expecting Gorrin to track him ? Sorry but if a ball is coming diagonally across the 6 yard line in the air that’s your centre backs all day long. Blame Dickie for not getting in front of Godden or blame one of our left sided players for not cutting out the cross but not Gorrin.

We have some deluded fans = play Mous as a defensive mid field player to improve our defending

The guy is just too slow to play at this level end of !!

I actually think our best "anchor" in the midfield currently is Hanson. Yes he's sloppy on the ball but in terms of breaking up play I think he is as good as Gorrin and Hanson isn't afraid to put his body on the line. Obviously when he is fully fit Thorne surpasses both of them.

Gorrin is a class above Mousinho in that role. Far more mobile and a better reader of the game hence the interceptions he makes. Godden was around the 6 yard box when he got in front of Dickie to head in, how far are you expecting Gorrin to track him ? Sorry but if a ball is coming diagonally across the 6 yard line in the air that’s your centre backs all day long. Blame Dickie for not getting in front of Godden or blame one of our left sided players for not cutting out the cross but not Gorrin.

If you watch the extended highlights on yellowplayer, for the second goal Dickie is marking a different player (tall black guy), then as Godden plays the pass out wide right (with Gorrin centrally occupying a good space, holding him up) Gorrin completely switches off and watches the ball, letting himself drift out to the left, letting Godden run off him. Dickie then is forced to come off his man late to try and get to the goalscorer. Gorrin should not have turned his back and let his man have a clean run into the box, that's the basics of being a defensive player. People will see Dickie being beaten in the air and blame him but it's a clear error from Gorrin, you can't let players run past you into the box unmarked like that. You can see Dickie afterwards frustrated that he had to leave his man to go to Godden.

Dont agree.
Gorrin was close to Godden when he layed the ball off and should have kept an eye on him. But instead he just ran into the penalty area. Fair enough Ruffels could have done better to prevent the cross. And if you watch the replay Dickie was already marking their 13 and Godden ran into a free space. It looks like Dickie lets him get there but he was already there. Dickie had to leave his man. Good run by Godden though.
BTW I dont dislike Gorrin I just think he does a few daft things every game.

If you watch the extended highlights on yellowplayer, for the second goal Dickie is marking a different player (tall black guy), then as Godden plays the pass out wide right (with Gorrin centrally occupying a good space, holding him up) Gorrin completely switches off and watches the ball, letting himself drift out to the left, letting Godden run off him. Dickie then is forced to come off his man late to try and get to the goalscorer. Gorrin should not have turned his back and let his man have a clean run into the box, that's the basics of being a defensive player. People will see Dickie being beaten in the air and blame him but it's a clear error from Gorrin, you can't let players run past you into the box unmarked like that. You can see Dickie afterwards frustrated that he had to leave his man to go to Godden.

Godden is their number 9, their main striker, their biggest scoring threat. If he’s not Dickie’s man on the edge of the 6 yard box he is definitely Moore’s. Who is Moore picking up then if Dickie is preoccupied ? To say Godden is not the responsibility 6 yards out of one of our centre backs is ridiculous. If it was a midfielder ghosting in then I’d say, yes, thats Gorrins man.

It’s like Virgil Van Dyke blaming Jordan Henderson for not getting in front of Harry Kane and putting his nut on a pin point cross 6 yards out.

Godden is their number 9, their main striker, their biggest scoring threat. If he’s not Dickie’s man on the edge of the 6 yard box he is definitely Moore’s. Who is Moore picking up then if Dickie is preoccupied ? To say Godden is not the responsibility 6 yards out of one of our centre backs is ridiculous. If it was a midfielder ghosting in then I’d say, yes, thats Gorrins man.

It’s like Virgil Van Dyke blaming Jordan Henderson for not getting in front of Harry Kane and putting his nut on a pin point cross 6 yards out.

So you think Gorrin saw Godden run past him from midfield (from a way away, not even close) and thought - "ah, he's number 9, and their main goalscoring threat, so not my problem"?! That's crazy, it doesn't matter who the players are, if they're in your position and no-one else is around, you deal with them. If Godden was out wide should the fullbacks not tackle him or cut out his crosses? If a striker is out wide should the centre backs charge out and tackle them?

I'm not sure what Moore was doing, yes maybe he was at fault, you can't really see him in the replay. But Gorrin clearly lets the runner through from midfield, a runner who is right in front of him. Dickie then has to leave his man to deal with this new threat. In this specific instance, he makes a defensive error which leads to a goal.

I go back to my post. The issue was defensive organisation not any one individual. As KR said, they're young. The more progressive thing is to work on Gorrin and Brans covering, the defensive unit as it is, and leave Mous on the bench. No need for personnel changes, just plenty to work on on the training ground. The onus is on the coaching.

So you think Gorrin saw Godden run past him from midfield (from a way away, not even close) and thought - "ah, he's number 9, and their main goalscoring threat, so not my problem"?! That's crazy, it doesn't matter who the players are, if they're in your position and no-one else is around, you deal with them. If Godden was out wide should the fullbacks not tackle him or cut out his crosses? If a striker is out wide should the centre backs charge out and tackle them?

I'm not sure what Moore was doing, yes maybe he was at fault, you can't really see him in the replay. But Gorrin clearly lets the runner through from midfield, a runner who is right in front of him. Dickie then has to leave his man to deal with this new threat. In this specific instance, he makes a defensive error which leads to a goal.
Exactly how I see/saw it

Back
Top Bottom