Ex Player #36 Jay Matete

I had high hopes and expectations when we signed him, but he was a shadow of the player I remember playing against us.

Clearly not fit when he arrived and unfortunately for him and us his fitness didn’t improve whilst he was with us.

Such a shame as I still think he’s a super player at L1 level. Unfortunately he just wasn’t fit and only gave a couple of glimpses (mostly Blackpool away 2nd half) of what he is capable of.

Suspect he’ll go to another L1 team next season, fully fit, and get back to his best, making this loan spell even more frustrating.

Good luck to him. Shame for us

Well, I think that officially makes this Januarys window worse than last given the value we’ve had.

What a shocker.

Matete, Burey, Goodwin, Bennett, Cumming - fair to say it hasn't been the best window. Not quite one to rival Robinson's last summer window but none are nailing down a place and that includes Dale, who has probably been the best. Bennett is a good player, you can see that, but is he really going to rival Leigh when it comes down to it. Burey, who knows what's gone on there. Goodwin, probably the one we were keen to see the most but hasn't looked fit, hasn't played particularly well but has come in to a side that just don't create chances for goal scorers. Cumming, the less said the better - terrible signing.

Matete, Burey, Goodwin, Bennett, Cumming - fair to say it hasn't been the best window. Not quite one to rival Robinson's last summer window but none are nailing down a place and that includes Dale, who has probably been the best. Bennett is a good player, you can see that, but is he really going to rival Leigh when it comes down to it. Burey, who knows what's gone on there. Goodwin, probably the one we were keen to see the most but hasn't looked fit, hasn't played particularly well but has come in to a side that just don't create chances for goal scorers. Cumming, the less said the better - terrible signing.

I would say Cuming has nailed down a place, what with him starting every game and that.

I would say Cuming has nailed down a place, what with him starting every game and that.

By default.

He just doesn't look up to it. We need to make a permanent keeper our priority signing this summer, I'll be very surprised if Cumming is anywhere near that list. Unconvincing on crosses, Jack Stevens like with weak shots going across him, lacks bravery, poor distribution. Hard to tell from the stands what a keepers communication is like but the Leigh/Cumming fiasco at Bolton had to have Cumming, who was facing the play, making a clear call one way or the other.

For what ever reason, has to be regarded as a someone who didn't perform in any sense, was a gamble which like many others which didn't pay off.
The biggest question has to be why did we want him, it was obvious that he wasn't really fit in the first place

On the face of it, back in January it looked a really useful signing, and a player that is proven at this level. Unfortunately he has an ongoing knee problem, and hasn’t looked fit since he came here, or looked anywhere near what he was at Plymouth.

There is definitely a player in there, but cannot grasp why we continue to bring in players that have just had a nasty injury or are not match fit. Why can’t we sign players that are raring to go…

It’s taken Goodwin time to get in the side, because he had an underlying issue. Extremely frustrating that we continue to go down the same path every window.

Another disappointing January signing, which we constantly make a habit of unfortunately. We waited the entire month to strengthen an area where it was obvious at the start of the season we were light, and this was the best we could do. It doesn’t sit well with me, when we had the chance to push on and signed someone lacking match fitness, returning from a long term injury, and totally not up to speed.

I certainly can’t find any positives in that, despite knowing I’ll probably be slated for being negative. Quite simply another wasted signing, and we are now very light in central mid again, especially with McGuane not being at anything like his best, and that’s if he gets back in the team!

We can’t resist a crock, thank god we don’t play at the Manor anymore else John Radcliffe would have to get a court order out to keep us from hassling the patients into signing for us.

No real surprise he shouldn't of passed a medical in the first place .
Godwin is another example of medical & science department failure .Should be fit by August 2024 to start a game .
Marcus Browne failed a medical at Charlton but we sign him .Imagine the surprise again when he's injured .
Its just a reoccurring theme that needs to be addressed .

Is that the same Bennett that started our last league game instead of Greg Leigh?

If you’re going to troll at least try a bit harder.