Current Player #39 Gatlin O'Donkor

Apologies for going a little off topic but I think we have been quite fortunate that Leigh has popped up with a few important goals for us of late. I don’t think anyone ever thought Harris was going to be a prolific finisher - even when Edwards was fit and whipping crosses in Harris was rarely in an area to get on the end of them. He’s just not a ‘fox in the box’ type of striker. Maybe Manning was hoping that Rodriguez would contribute a few more than he has so far and Bodin also misses quite a few. Before anyone throw’s pelters at me, I’m not panicking- we’ve had a great start to the season, nobody can deny that, and it’s great that the goals are getting shared around, but no matter what type of strikers we have, you can’t really deny that they shouldn’t be getting overshadowed by a fullback as a goal threat.

I don’t think it would be any secret that Manning was probably hoping for more from O’Donker and who knows what the situation is with Perkins?!

I do expect a bit of a shake up in the forward department in January

We have to remember that Leigh is not playing as a typical fullback too. At one point in the second half he was positioning himself as the second striker! He gets a free run and that gives him the opportunity to come in at the back post, sometimes even in advance of the left sided forward.

This isn't criticism of him in any way, but "left back scores more than striker" is not the full story.

We have to remember that Leigh is not playing as a typical fullback too. At one point in the second half he was positioning himself as the second striker! He gets a free run and that gives him the opportunity to come in at the back post, sometimes even in advance of the left sided forward.

This isn't criticism of him in any way, but "left back scores more than striker" is not the full story.
You could see when we were in possession and the centre backs had it, Leigh was nowhere to be seen. Clearly given license from Manning to get up the pitch and support the forwards but make sure to get back on the turnover. You had the traditional right back and right wing set up with Long and Mills whereas Leigh playing higher meant Bodin could tuck in.

Given that Leigh played both games for Jamaica (plus the travelling) and all the games coming up in such a short space of time, 'All Action' Greg Leigh is gonna get flogged! An injury to him would be a disaster!

Apart from in the pizza trophy, I don't think Edwards and Harris have played together.
That’s no excuse. Harris should be busting a gut to get into the box even if it’s from the South Stand Upper..

Is he not a young player who is learning the craft?

Can`t be many jobs where you get to do "the job" for 15/20 minutes and be expected to be instantly perfect..................

Yes the effort levels count and such things but nobody knows what is going on behind the scenes, or in his head.

Still think he`s got the ability and talent but might need a change of scenery/loan to help him grow into that.

You could see when we were in possession and the centre backs had it, Leigh was nowhere to be seen. Clearly given license from Manning to get up the pitch and support the forwards but make sure to get back on the turnover. You had the traditional right back and right wing set up with Long and Mills whereas Leigh playing higher meant Bodin could tuck in.
This is true, Leigh is playing incredibly advanced and where you'd expect a wide midfielder to be which is working very well. A couple of observations from me though:

1) how much of this is our of necessity as we don't have goals from many other positions? Leigh didn't have much of a goalscoring history prior to joining us. He certainly seems to have a knack of being in the right place at the right time and looks a decent finisher, perhaps Manning has seen this and shifted the formation around to get the most out of Leigh in an attacking sense but it seems optimistic to rely on that continuing long term.

2) if Leigh does continue to s**t goals, and I dearly hope it does, it doesn't mean Harris and O'Donkor are excused for their complete lack of goal threat recently. Harris does good work off the ball that's not enough, some of the comments on here, and it's very few currently, have parallels with when Mackie was here and people would praise his "leadership" and "shithousery". Harris' contribution is slightly more tangible than that as Mackie was clearly shite to anyone with eyes but it's not our of order to expect a striker to be able to put themselves about and provide a goal threat. We've had years of people saying if a defender is solid you can't expect them to contribute going forwards and vice versa, or that if you're not happy with the results playing attacking football the only alternative is to play dour, negative stuff. It's possible and entirely reasonable to expect both as we've seen this season.

I've gone off track re:GOD but I'd suggest the lack of goals from our strikers is something we're currently getting away with a bit and would be fortunate to continue. I thought Harris was lively against Carlisle, excellent at Derby and again dangerous at Barnsley but since the suspension he's not been near those levels, hopefully a goal on Tuesday gets him back on track. I don't know if GOD will ever be a goalscorer as he just doesn't seem to have the instinct/desire but hopefully this can be coached into him or comes with experience. Ideally a known quantity comes in early doors in January and GOD gets a National League loan to get a load of minutes.

This is true, Leigh is playing incredibly advanced and where you'd expect a wide midfielder to be which is working very well. A couple of observations from me though:

1) how much of this is our of necessity as we don't have goals from many other positions? Leigh didn't have much of a goalscoring history prior to joining us. He certainly seems to have a knack of being in the right place at the right time and looks a decent finisher, perhaps Manning has seen this and shifted the formation around to get the most out of Leigh in an attacking sense but it seems optimistic to rely on that continuing long term.

2) if Leigh does continue to s**t goals, and I dearly hope it does, it doesn't mean Harris and O'Donkor are excused for their complete lack of goal threat recently. Harris does good work off the ball that's not enough, some of the comments on here, and it's very few currently, have parallels with when Mackie was here and people would praise his "leadership" and "shithousery". Harris' contribution is slightly more tangible than that as Mackie was clearly shite to anyone with eyes but it's not our of order to expect a striker to be able to put themselves about and provide a goal threat. We've had years of people saying if a defender is solid you can't expect them to contribute going forwards and vice versa, or that if you're not happy with the results playing attacking football the only alternative is to play dour, negative stuff. It's possible and entirely reasonable to expect both as we've seen this season.

I've gone off track re:GOD but I'd suggest the lack of goals from our strikers is something we're currently getting away with a bit and would be fortunate to continue. I thought Harris was lively against Carlisle, excellent at Derby and again dangerous at Barnsley but since the suspension he's not been near those levels, hopefully a goal on Tuesday gets him back on track. I don't know if GOD will ever be a goalscorer as he just doesn't seem to have the instinct/desire but hopefully this can be coached into him or comes with experience. Ideally a known quantity comes in early doors in January and GOD gets a National League loan to get a load of minutes
Two I reckon if GOD is loaned out. Perkins to be sent back would require both to be replaced.
I'd also like to see Dimitri Mitchell from Exeter come in. Tore us apart for Blackpool in playoff 2nd leg. Was Exeters main threat against us as well. Mark Helm from Burton is another who is catching the eye.

That’s no excuse. Harris should be busting a gut to get into the box even if it’s from the South Stand Upper..
Have Harris and Edwards actually played in the same side as yet. I may be wrong, but I can't recall their doing so.

The conversation has gone of track Gaitlin did not put the basic effort In which is expected on Saturday by any player, no closing down of defenders no holding up of ball no attacking threat and people are right he doesn't score should go on loan in January to league two or conference team to get game time and experience of scoring goals

The conversation has gone of track Gaitlin did not put the basic effort In which is expected on Saturday by any player, no closing down of defenders no holding up of ball no attacking threat and people are right he doesn't score should go on loan in January to league two or conference team to get game time and experience of scoring goals
We don’t know how much Gats (or other players come to that) were affected by the bug, which would have contributed to the lack of dynamism on Saturday. Let’s not write him off just yet.

We don’t know how much Gats (or other players come to that) were affected by the bug, which would have contributed to the lack of dynamism on Saturday. Let’s not write him off just yet.
There’s little evidence to suggest his uses stretch further than eating up the ground on a lost cause or occupying the corner flag. I think the problems start when the menial task he’s been sent on to do for 10 minutes appears difficult for him. I hope Saturday was a blip but it wasn’t good.

I think he’s contributed well in certain games but in others he’s really struggled which is symptomatic of learning at a level or two above where you are.

Like all young players finding their feet, they need to eventually demonstrate that they can perform at the level of the club they’re with, see Tyler Goodrham, or go down in search of something more comfortable. O’Donkor has work to do and fortunately for him, opportunities will be there given we can’t put someone in his way until January and Perkins is… somewhere.

Last edited:
Is there anyone who doesn’t think that best thing for O Donkor is to drop down a couple of levels on loan in January?

Back
Top Bottom