Away Match Day Thread *** 4/8/2018 Barnsley FC v OUFC match day thread ***

On the one hand, today's result doesn't completely deflate me about the prospects for the season. Barnsley are clearly an excellent side who will be there or thereabouts at season's end. So that's likely one of the season's toughest games out the way early.

It does, however, depress me a little about the state of football nowadays. There's always been a bit of a gap between the Premier League and Championship, but there was never much of a gulf between the bottom of the Championship and League One. Now there seems to be a chasm. With teams in the division above us paying fees for players, on a semi-regular basis, that are bigger than our annual revenue.

Last year the three teams that came down went straight back up again; Bolton did it the season before; You'd have to think that Barnsley & Sunderland will be strong favorites to do the same this year....with only the fact that Burton were punching above their weight for a couple of years leaving a spot open for someone else.

Makes you wonder what hope we have in the medium term to better our lot significantly. Unless someone takes us over with sufficient resources to sort through the stadium issues, then a solid finish in League One and a good cup run would seem to be about the summit of our realistic ambitions at the moment. Which isn't the worst thing in the world - it's a good league, with some fun opponents - but hardly matches the dreams of the 80s or even 90s.

Modern football, eh?

Brilliant post. We said pretty much this in the car on the way back.

Just back and after a few hours to reflect,here is my honest review of the game.
-Goalkeeper,Eastwood decent game, Barnsley stopped us from countering numerous times by making Kieffer Moore stand pretty much on top of Eastwood when he had the ball in his hands. Made a few good stops.

-Fullbacks, need to start overlapping when we have the ball, Mcmahon looked afraid to get forward at times and i only remember him putting 1 cross from open play into the box. Garbutt sits to narrow and allows the winger time to pick his spot.

-Centre Backs Poor, Nelson particularly he was at fault for second goal for completely missing the ball. Nelson looked very nervy and afraid to bring the ball out of defence. Dickie also looked nervy at points and panicking on the ball.

Wingers- TRACK BACK, the fullbacks left 2 on 1 constantly because they didn't want to track back. Also if your going to rotate across the pitch do it properly, At one point Mackie went from left to central with Henry and left Garbutt out wide on his own for about 2-3 minutes. Hall more of a threat then anyone throughout the game in the 25 he was on, direct, close dribbling and wasn't afraid to shoot.

Centre Mids- Outclassed, felt sorry for Brannagan, ran his ass off but got no reward. Ruffels looked like a liability at times, Couldn't keep up with the play and constantly outnumbered. We need a big lad as that's what lost it for us today. Our midfield is not physical enough and we lost out on most second balls, especially ones in the air. i think we would've been better with Mousinho in there next to Brannagan. Henry was marked out the game today they did a job on him, never had any chance to breath

Strikers- Smith looks classy, which is the opposite to Obika unfortunately, Obika 1on1 with keeper and took to long and allowed the defender time to catch up and recover. Smith will come good if we can get the ball to him. It didn't stick up top today and Liam Lindsay looks quality limited Smith really well today.

Positive- I doubt we'll play a better side this season,Brannagan can be best CM in the league if he has a physical lad next to him, Hall looked dangerous, Eastwood commanded his area from Corners.

One thing i want to know. ROBINSON why allow Napa on loan if neither Hall or Mackie are fit? Keep him until they are ready and then send him out. Loans can happen until end of August, can't they?

I (sort of) feel sorry for Obika. Seems like he's aware that everyone's watching his every move and must feel terrible when he frequently fluffs his lines. He had one great chance through on goal today but seemed to trip over the ball, or perhaps his own feet.

Overall too many misplaced passes, too many aimless hoofs and too much possession given away. Looking forward to Mr Beasley's first blog.
I completely understand what you are saying but I certainly dont " sort of feel sorry" for Obika. He is (luckilly) paid to be our marksman , but he would struggle to score at 2 am on the Cowley Road !!

Feelng sorry for him is not going to get us in the play offs.

On the one hand, today's result doesn't completely deflate me about the prospects for the season. Barnsley are clearly an excellent side who will be there or thereabouts at season's end. So that's likely one of the season's toughest games out the way early.

It does, however, depress me a little about the state of football nowadays. There's always been a bit of a gap between the Premier League and Championship, but there was never much of a gulf between the bottom of the Championship and League One. Now there seems to be a chasm. With teams in the division above us paying fees for players, on a semi-regular basis, that are bigger than our annual revenue.

Last year the three teams that came down went straight back up again; Bolton did it the season before; You'd have to think that Barnsley & Sunderland will be strong favorites to do the same this year....with only the fact that Burton were punching above their weight for a couple of years leaving a spot open for someone else.

Makes you wonder what hope we have in the medium term to better our lot significantly. Unless someone takes us over with sufficient resources to sort through the stadium issues, then a solid finish in League One and a good cup run would seem to be about the summit of our realistic ambitions at the moment. Which isn't the worst thing in the world - it's a good league, with some fun opponents - but hardly matches the dreams of the 80s or even 90s.

Modern football, eh?
Really I would be happy with the season as long as we avoid a relegation scrap and are competitive at a basic level. I can’t bear another season with us being pathetic and outfought by any team with determined burly players. I like Ruffels but if he’s not up to it we need to get a tougher guy in, or change formation

Barnsley are 2nd favourites to go up and should have too much quality power and pace for most teams in L1.

But we never laid a glove on them. We just watched them tear us a new A*****e. Ledson has left a huge gaping bleeding hole in this side.

The players were trying, no doubt, but they were playing as individuals with rising levels of panic. No galvanizing two footers and 50 yard presses from lego to rally the troops.

Robinson is no one's mug and won't accept that kind of performance again. My concern is we don't need one aggressive tough tackling midfielder we need two. Because if the one we get is off form or injured we'll get that insipid bewildered performance again.

Devastating news about carruthers too. At least Holmes would soften that blow.

Barnsley are 2nd favourites to go up and should have too much quality power and pace for most teams in L1.

But we never laid a glove on them. We just watched them tear us a new A*****e. Ledson has left a huge gaping bleeding hole in this side.

The players were trying, no doubt, but they were playing as individuals with rising levels of panic. No galvanizing two footers and 50 yard presses from lego to rally the troops.

Robinson is no one's mug and won't accept that kind of performance again. My concern is we don't need one aggressive tough tackling midfielder we need two. Because if the one we get is off form or injured we'll get that insipid bewildered performance again.

Devastating news about carruthers too. At least Holmes would soften that blow.
Let’s face it, we were often overrun with Ledson in the side. As you say, maybe we need two new midfielders, and maybe a different formation

Let’s face it, we were often overrun with Ledson in the side. As you say, maybe we need two new midfielders, and maybe a different formation
Maybe worth trying a 352 with Mcmahon and Garbutt as wingbacks. We have nothing outwide til Hall is fit, so maybe try to shaw up and get some confidence in the defence.

Maybe worth trying a 352 with Mcmahon and Garbutt as wingbacks. We have nothing outwide til Hall is fit, so maybe try to shaw up and get some confidence in the defence.
I would imagine Norman will get his chance fairly soon, particularly if attacking full backs are attempted. McMahon clearly has a peach of a right boot but pace and energy do not appear to be his strengths.

I would imagine Norman will get his chance fairly soon, particularly if attacking full backs are attempted. McMahon clearly has a peach of a right boot but pace and energy do not appear to be his strengths.

McMahon spent the afternoon having that rather good winger running rings around him, it will be interesting to see how he gets on against more favourable opposition.

McMahon spent the afternoon having that rather good winger running rings around him, it will be interesting to see how he gets on against more favourable opposition.
The quality of the opposition won't have any bearing on his ability to run at a certain pace. It's a mere observation that he isn't very fast and therefore wouldn't be my first choice in a wing back setup.

Hope Norman gets a chance. McMahon put 1 cross in the box from open play today.

Awful performance today. Not sure where to start, because everyone was pretty poor. Even Simon Eastwood by his normal standards wasn’t great. Its only the first game, and it won’t define our season, and to be honest we came up against a very good side. Barnsley were all over us like a rash, and won everything. We were second best from start to finish. We couldn’t string 3 passes together, and they were onto us putting us under constant pressure. They could be the best side we play all season, so let’s not get carried away thinking we’re doomed, because we ain’t!

Obviously there were a lot of new faces in the team today, so it will take time for everyone to gel. When Rob Hall came on he was brilliant, he got the ball and showed composure, and drove at there defence, he got a couple of good strikes in, and was probably our only shining light today. The rest of the team were very poor.

Shame for Samir Curruthers, and wish him a speedy recovery.

I won’t rant about Obika, because to be honest he makes my blood boil, and my knuckles go white.

Anyway a bad day today, but let’s not get worried. Barnsley were well worth there 4-0 win and like I said could be the best side we play all season.

That's true bit we wouldn't have got dicked 4-0 today with ledson in the side.

Rightly or wrongly a new formation isn't going to happen KR will go to his grave playing 4231.

Rightly or wrongly a new formation isn't going to happen KR will go to his grave playing 4231.

Not strictly true. By his own admission today, he had to play 4 in the midfield as his 2 chosen were not not up to the task.

Not strictly true. By his own admission today, he had to play 4 in the midfield as his 2 chosen were not not up to the task.

Now I am always so positive about my team and always will be but if the manager is saying his chosen ones are bit up to it then he must change it. I know Barnsley are a good team and we are not a bad 1. Let's re-group get together and do what we do best and bloody well support our team, none of this booing and slagging of players after a bad day at the office. We won't face teams as good as Barnsley that often( thank God) looking at the fixture list we all knew the 1st few games were going to be tough. It's a set back that's all, a reality check maybe. KR the and ? will sort it. Can't make Fleetwood but Pompey tickets purchased. I am still excited about this season and I still think we will beat Pompey at Wembley next May.
COYY

The worst performance I have seen away from home for many years.

Obika was by no means the worst player. I’d rank the posturing, half committed Henry and Garbutt as standout stinkers.

Ruffels was simply inadequate at this level.

Thought Eastwood went down in instalments for goals 1 and 2 as well.

Barnsley were great. Fast, fit, disciplined , and strong. They played the pressing game excellently.

There was a chasm between the sides.

We almost got wiped out on the motorway near Sheffield by a crazed driver who decided to cut across three lanes at 80 miles an hour in heavy traffic without signalling. Is it me or is the standard of driving seriously deteriorating in England?

Risked life and limb to see us being gubbed. Part of life’s rich tapestry I suppose.

Q
Oldham 0-2 oufc we dominated the game .

Still thought we didn’t look particularly good in that game and that Oldham looked extremely poor. I actually said to my son on the way back that we would struggle and Oldham would get relegated!

Which surprises me as he’s supposed to like pacy wingers which we have neither!

The worst performance I have seen away from home for many years.

Obika was by no means the worst player. I’d rank the posturing, half committed Henry and Garbutt as standout stinkers.

Ruffels was simply inadequate at this level.

Thought Eastwood went down in instalments for goals 1 and 2 as well.

Barnsley were great. Fast, fit, disciplined , and strong. They played the pressing game excellently.

There was a chasm between the sides.

We almost got wiped out on the motorway near Sheffield by a crazed driver who decided to cut across three lanes at 80 miles an hour in heavy traffic without signalling. Is it me or is the standard of driving seriously deteriorating in England?

Risked life and limb to see us being gubbed. Part of life’s rich tapestry I suppose.

Driving is getting poor Tim, probably had his t**t nav right in his vision.

Back
Top Bottom