General Accents

I was there 77 so just missed but was there when we were asked to help the old bill when they had Tottenham in the FA cup, lest just say that was an interesting night. 😊

As a South Londoner my theory is lots of South Londoners must have "emigrated"! down there, bringing with them words like Mush and Dinlo. The kids don't say them anymore around here as they sound more Jamaican than Cockney, but those words have lived on down there.

Other things I heard in London pubs as a kid, boat (face) jack (on your own) kale-eyed (drunk, I think) Blinding (good) Be Lucky (goodbye)... never really hear any of them said in London anymore. Certainly not anyone under 40/50odd.

There is an episode of BBC comedy people just do nothing where one of the characters tells the other that his garage MC voice needs to be half Jamaican/half Dutch which is probably the closest description of the Jafaican/roadman accent a lot of young people have adopted today, I worked with actual Jamaicans and they don’t talk like Kevin from Croydon does.

I remember back in the nineties when it started, a couple of white kids I went to school with started listening to jungle music, hip hop etc and then started changing how they talked, it’s just grown from there.

Being Oxford born and bred I usually get the farmer, country accent thing, mostly from my missus although it must have softened in my 5 years away as I haven’t had it in a while, hope I am not picking up a southern Estuary English accent though.

There is an episode of BBC comedy people just do nothing where one of the characters tells the other that his garage MC voice needs to be half Jamaican/half Dutch which is probably the closest description of the Jafaican/roadman accent a lot of young people have adopted today, I worked with actual Jamaicans and they don’t talk like Kevin from Croydon does.

I remember back in the nineties when it started, a couple of white kids I went to school with started listening to jungle music, hip hop etc and then started changing how they talked, it’s just grown from there.

Being Oxford born and bred I usually get the farmer, country accent thing, mostly from my missus although it must have softened in my 5 years away as I haven’t had it in a while, hope I am not picking up a southern Estuary English accent though.
Ironically a lot of Jamaicans and Nigerians who are 50+ sound as Cockney as anything. I'm not sure where this new accent has come from. It isn't nice to listen to though. It is a very mumble-y and disinterested way of speaking with little intination.

Accents are a strange thing. When I'm in work I will affect a more "posh" way of speaking and sound more "london" in the pub with friends without realising.

This struck a chord with me. Knowing that I support OUFC causes some people to assume that my accent is 'Oxford', or at least 'Oxfordshire'. They don't realise that I've never lived or worked anywhere near the county and that my accent is un-posh Surrey. This raises the inevitable question; 'how come you support Oxford United then?' the answer to which bemuses and / or confuses.

Hi Pete,

Think you may have mentioned this before* but its been a while and i would like to hear your story.

Hi Pete,

Think you may have mentioned this before* but its been a while and i would like to hear your story.

My reason for supporting OUFC is both strange and perhaps pathetic, but here goes .... When I was ten years old and living in Surrey the FA Cup final of 1967 was between Chelsea and Spurs. All the kids at my primary school were choosing one or other to support, even though few, if any, had a real affiliation with either. At the time I had no allegiance, although my dad was a Derby fan and my maternal family favoured Hartlepool. So I decided to choose a team of my own at random from current league tables.

Oxford was a place I'd heard of, even though I had no idea where it was, so I supported Oxford United thereafter. As it happens, Oxford was only 55 miles from home and after a few seasons of armchair support my dad took me to my first game - Oxford 2 Middlesbrough 2 in April 1971 before a crowd of 7,517!

So there we have it. No rhyme nor reason behind my decision but OUFC remain the only club I've ever supported.

My mum, from Oxford, in the mid 1950s married my father who was from quite a remote South Devon fishing village. For the first six months after getting married they lived down there but my mum had such difficulty understanding the accent that they uprooted back to Oxford.
Although, accents down that way have certainly lost a lot of character from how they used to be at that time.

I could easily have been an Exeter supporter now if not for the accent, or even a janner ST holder, as is my cousin from down there.

My reason for supporting OUFC is both strange and perhaps pathetic, but here goes .... When I was ten years old and living in Surrey the FA Cup final of 1967 was between Chelsea and Spurs. All the kids at my primary school were choosing one or other to support, even though few, if any, had a real affiliation with either. At the time I had no allegiance, although my dad was a Derby fan and my maternal family favoured Hartlepool. So I decided to choose a team of my own at random from current league tables.

Oxford was a place I'd heard of, even though I had no idea where it was, so I supported Oxford United thereafter. As it happens, Oxford was only 55 miles from home and after a few seasons of armchair support my dad took me to my first game - Oxford 2 Middlesbrough 2 in April 1971 before a crowd of 7,517!

So there we have it. No rhyme nor reason behind my decision but OUFC remain the only club I've ever supported.
I don't know exactly why, but I love that.

Edit: It's the idea of choosing a team, who aren't even that good, totally at random. I don't think I've ever met a football fan who supports a team and doesn't try to justify it through family, loving a certain player, locality etc.

Similar vibe: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales..._custom4=335074D2-575D-11ED-B64F-887596E8478F

My accent is pretty much BBC, with the occasional mispronounced T.

F**k me, imagine choosing this.

Back
Top Bottom