Best Moment Ever

far toooooo many to list them all, some that come to mind from over the years, 15 of em

Gary Rambo Briggs diving header at the Manor, rocketing into the back of the net from way outside the penalty area (currently blank mind on who it was against!)

Steve Biggins winner at the Manor in the second league cup replay against Big Rons Man Ure side

Wembly Milk cup final 1986, start to finish.... including Shotts jig in his horned cap with the trophy

final whistle in the semi final 2nd leg v Villa to get us there ^^^

Joey's goal at the cuckoo lane end in his first local derby match after returning from a spell at the skip, kissing the badge n general winding up of the scummers in his celebration

At the Manor v Blackburn in the early 60s, when we were in old 4th division, Blackburn were top 3 in old first division, Magic of the cup in evidence there that day, winning 3-1 deservedly, Big Ron shoulder carried off the pitch at the final whistle ( must've been about 20 people holding Tank aloft! any less and they'd've been crushed)

Record home league win v Barrow at the Manor, 7-0

Conference Playoff final Alfie Potter's late goal to send us back into the football league

Notts County away a couple of seasons ago, 1-0 up, 2-1 down then coming back to win 4-2

Jefferson Louis goal (on live tv) in the FA Cup v Scum, first win over them in many many years
Dave Roberts scored, can't recall who got our other goal that day) AND we took the town end too
though that was standard every time we went there back then

Jim Magilton's extra time free kick FA Cup winner at Elland road

Gary Briggs having gobshite Keegan in his pocket v Newcastle in a cup match under lights at the Manor, think we won
4-1? only time bubble-permed midget had any of the ball was right in the dying minutes, after the little s**t's constant whinging and head pecking of the notorious referee Clive Thomas the book, eventually got Rambo red carded

Beano's double at the skip, Di Canio sent off, and the final whistle at that one.

Last seasons 2nd half away at the skip, Robie Halls screamer to take the win, & Maguires total shithousery to scumers , players and fans, after the final whistle

Brighton away with Ian Greaves managing , in the FA cup. Treated like s**t by Brighton ob, herded into a corner section of terracing, it was 1982 I think, and we battered em 3-0 , Keith Cassels (?) hat trick if memory serves

far toooooo many to list them all, some that come to mind from over the years, 15 of em

Gary Rambo Briggs diving header at the Manor, rocketing into the back of the net from way outside the penalty area (currently blank mind on who it was against!)

Steve Biggins winner at the Manor in the second league cup replay against Big Rons Man Ure side

Wembly Milk cup final 1986, start to finish.... including Shotts jig in his horned cap with the trophy

Joey's goal at the cuckoo lane end in his first local derby match after returning from a spell at the skip, kissing the badge n general winding up of the scummers in his celebration

At the Manor v Blackburn in the early 60s, when we were in old 4th division, Blackburn were top 3 in old first division, Magic of the cup in evidence there that day, winning 3-1 deservedly, Big Ron shoulder carried off the pitch at the final whistle ( must've been about 20 people holding Tank aloft! any less and they'd've been crushed)

Conference Playoff final Alfie Potter's late goal to send us back into the football league

Notts County away a couple of seasons ago, 1-0 up, 2-1 down then coming back to win 4-2

Jefferson Louis goal (on live tv) in the FA Cup v Scum, first win over them in many many years
Dave Roberts scored, can't recall who got our other goal that day) AND we took the town end too

Gary Briggs having gobshite Keegan in his pocket v Newcastle in a cup match under lights at the Manor, think we won
4-1? only time bubble-permed midget had any of the ball was right in the dying minutes, after the little s**t's constant whinging and head pecking of the notorious referee Clive Thomas the book, eventually got Rambo red carded

Beano's double at the skip, Di Canio sent off, and the final whistle at that one.

Last seasons 2nd half away at the skip, Robie Halls screamer to take the win, & Maguires total shithousery to scumers , players and fans, after the final whistle

Brighton away with Ian Greaves managing , in the FA cup. Treated like s**t by Brighton ob, herded into a corner section of terracing, it was 1982 I think, and we battered em 3-0 , Keith Cassels (?) hat trick if memory serves

Man Utd Sarge Gary Bailey in goal and the commentator said he had no one marking him yet a second before his worldly diving header he had 3 opposition players by him, he left them and dived and the rest is history as they say.

That Brighton away game all the skin heads had to take their steel toe capped boots off, outside there were boots in trees and hedges awaiting reclaim from their owners, hilarious!

Man Utd Sarge Gary Bailey in goal and the commentator said he had no one marking him yet a second before his worldly diving header he had 3 opposition players by him, he left them and dived and the rest is history as they say.
wasn't sure ...cheers for that :)

That Brighton away game all the skin heads had to take their steel toe capped boots off, outside there were boots in trees and hedges awaiting reclaim from their owners, hilarious!
yep!:cautious:

Fash “the bash” bleated like a little lamb when Rambo trod on his fingers as he walked away after tackling him. Following the not quite pc song from the LR .....
....about his brother , if memory serves?:unsure:

So many to choose from. Obviously the Milk Cup win, getting both the Div 3/Div 2 trophies, play off win and the promotion clinching games against Blackpool and Wycombe.

But for individual moments in a game:

1) Les Phillips goal at home to Everton in 1986. The atmosphere was just electric with a good crowd and it was midweek. The place just erupted when that went in.

2) Les Phillips absolutely crunching David Speedie, who had been a dick all game, with a fair challenge getting the ball then Speedie. Speedie disappeared as a threat afterwards.

3) Gary Briggs absolutely destroying Doug Rougvie sending him cartwheeling into the air (iirc Rougvie dislocated his shoulder).

4) Paul Moody's most of the length of the pitch run to score in his hat-trick at Cardiff.

5) The equaliser in the 5-5 Vs Pompey.

6) Mark Creighton's injury time goal (subject of the photo) Vs York (iirc) at the Kasstad. It really sticks in the mind.

Last edited:
I guess as a 32 year old who missed ‘86 it’s the usual moments from the early / mid 90s onwards.

I remember the Peterborough victory to clinch promotion very well, but wish I’d been old enough to appreciate just how good we were in the run in after a pretty average first half of the season. I didn’t fully recognise those big moments where you start to realise promotion could be a reality.

Then the win v Wycombe two years ago. I know the best team always wins the league over the course of 46 games, but I really do think that year was an exception. Take in to account the football we played and the cup runs - we were a better team than Northampton. The cup runs and injuries caught up with us and Northampton were very efficient in the league, but I know which team I’d rather have been following that season as a neutral.

But the ultimate must be 2010 for the sheer outpouring of relief and emotion. At 2-0 before halftime it almost weirdly felt like an anticlimax as it was almost too comfortable (I appreciate how odd a view that is!) but after Clarke’s clanger and what was the longest second half ever, sealing it like that in the last minute was how you want to go up! The fear of what might of been if we didn’t go up was huge. I’m not sure we’ll ever realise how important that was.

One moment that has weirdly stuck out for me in recent times was the equaliser at Middlesborough in last seasons FA cup. Under Appleton I’d come to expect us to beat any higher league team in the cup, and to do it in a style that no other lower league team did against the big boys. I’d gone in to the game telling people were we the favourites against a Premier League team, albeit a poor one. We went 2-0 down without doing ourselves justice, but the atmosphere was electric when the equaliser went in whilst we were still celebrating the first goal! Ultimately it counted for nothing but I remember thinking at that moment anything was possible under Appleton and we were on some journey whilst playing really stylish football. Oh how I’ve missed that man this season!

Woking away in the conference getting a burger. Never had such a big smile on my face.

cartwheeling
A mate introduced me to rougvie once, I said ‘the last time I saw you you were on a stretcher being carried off at highfield rd’ he said he can’t remember the tackle but damaged his shoulder lost 2 teeth and got knocked out. Good old briggsy.

Lorimer being sent off
Coventry away
The weekly chant of "atmosphere, w@nk, w@nk@w**k" at the Manor when we had crowds of <3.5k
Coming out of the LR to see that all those nice Millwall chaps that left early were on the other side of the road
Being in the left side vs Forest in the cup a heaving mass of (near) humanity
Getting a Bretts burger after a trip to a Northern outpost (I know I've posted it before....)
Alfie scoring and everyone around just going mental

Putting a fiver on Bilic to be the next manager.........you didn’t think you could get away from it that easy ?

One moment that has weirdly stuck out for me in recent times was the equaliser at Middlesborough in last seasons FA cup. Under Appleton I’d come to expect us to beat any higher league team in the cup, and to do it in a style that no other lower league team did against the big boys. I’d gone in to the game telling people were we the favourites against a Premier League team, albeit a poor one. We went 2-0 down without doing ourselves justice, but the atmosphere was electric when the equaliser went in whilst we were still celebrating the first goal! Ultimately it counted for nothing but I remember thinking at that moment anything was possible under Appleton and we were on some journey whilst playing really stylish football. Oh how I’ve missed that man this season!

Agree 100% with this. Everyone was still revved up from Maguire's free kick and celebration when the ball broke out and I remember seeing Martinez running into it knowing he was going to smash it in. Absolutely everybody was on their feet when he did and the atmosphere after was unreal, even the most reserved fans were up on their feet joining in with the singing.

If memory serves me, not long after we made it 2-2 McAleny had a chance to make it 3-2 to us, if he had then I think someone would've died in the celebrations!

Back
Top Bottom