National News Bonus or biscuit?

Are you a bonus person or a biscuit person. Listen to James O'B then vote. https://youtu.be/

• Bonus

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Biscuit

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
Well I can see what you're saying about the legacy of those policies, but it doesn't mean that a huge number of "normal" people weren't elevated by 80s Tory policy.

The loss of public housing isn't really a Thatcherism problem - since Major the building of social housing has virtually stopped. That policy worked, and it could have been protected by politicians but instead they chose not to deal with it. She turned the taps on and it was up to

Also, some towns needed to die. Coal was dead, shipbuilding was entirely unprofitable, our car industry was a disgrace, 3 day weeks, blackouts - compare the country in 1980 to 1990 and the country was completely transformed for the better.
I think the right to buy was a good thing for a lot of people and transformed lives. But the social housing had to be replaced!

Well I can see what you're saying about the legacy of those policies, but it doesn't mean that a huge number of "normal" people weren't elevated by 80s Tory policy.

The loss of public housing isn't really a Thatcherism problem - since Major the building of social housing has virtually stopped. That policy worked, and it could have been protected by politicians but instead they chose not to deal with it. She turned the taps on and it was up to

Also, some towns needed to die. Coal was dead, shipbuilding was entirely unprofitable, our car industry was a disgrace, 3 day weeks, blackouts - compare the country in 1980 to 1990 and the country was completely transformed for the better.

Given that the right to buy set allowed my single-parent mother to buy her house it would be hypocritical of me to say it was bad in itself.

So I won't!

It's rather telling that the debate has morphed into arguing about Thatcherism.

Sign that noone - not even EY - seems ready to come on here and try and defend what Truss & co. did yesterday.......means we have to go back 30 years to find something to start a fight about.

Ever since Maggie set the foundation- building homes to own, rather than rent, has been encouraged by every government since.
I don’t get it .
We need both.
Councils need a direction and path to funding to enable the building of council houses to rent .

I think the right to buy was a good thing for a lot of people and transformed lives. But the social housing had to be replaced!
Exactly my point - the policy needed aftercare and support (which it never received), in part to prevent over inflation of prices. Ultimately it was a great idea in isolation.

Pity about the rules put in place for rebuilding social housing when right to buy started. Labour didn't help with doing much about it either.

The media are rightly highlighted the complete lack of economic modelling of the potential impact of the mini budget however they have completely failed to establish from the government what success of this strategy looks like other than 'growth'.

This means when we come out of this recession, which we will inevitably do, Truss/Kwarteng can shout 'look, it worked'.

The media are rightly highlighted the complete lack of economic modelling of the potential impact of the mini budget however they have completely failed to establish from the government what success of this strategy looks like other than 'growth'.

This means when we come out of this recession, which we will inevitably do, Truss/Kwarteng can shout 'look, it worked'.
Well it’s taken us 70 years to pay for the Second World War, now we are paying back for covid and putin, if it takes another 70 years to get straight the youth of today won’t know, it’s like the country having a mortgage on the never never, we could have another 5 or 6 changes in Tory, labour or Lib Dem governments in that time.
I had a mortgage when the rates were around 15 % but still had to find a way to pay for it, I was supporting 9 people at the time on my own but bit the bullet and got on with it.

Back
Top Bottom